Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 12:10:11PM +0000, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >I'm not sure that the process is broken, but I agree that there's been
> >way too little focus on testing this time around; it seems that most of
> >the chatter on pgsql-hackers since beta started has been about ideas for
> >8.3 development.  Have we caused that by deciding to have a short 8.3
> >devel cycle, ie, do people feel they needed a head start?  If so, it's
> >bad, but the damage is already done, and won't be repeated as long as we
> >at work, what is it?
>
> I can't speak for others, but I'd really like to be of more help in
> testing. I'd like to see 8.2 released as soon as possible, so that we
> can start discussing 8.3 items.
>
> I don't have a real-world application to test, but if there's anything I
> can do, please let me know. Any gray areas that haven't received enough
> attention yet?

Since testing in the past had a semi-defined goal (make sure it builds
and passes make check on your platform), perhaps that should be done in
the future; point out to users what features they should pay special
attention to during the beta. Of course, that will tend to mirror what's
in the change log, but people will pay better attention to a
plain-language description of what to test than trying to decipher it
from the change log.