Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От Theo Schlossnagle
Тема Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Nov 26, 2006, at 6:50 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Just so you all know: I gave a green flag for two magazines (one in
>> Middle East, one in Dutch) to carry articles about 8.2 for their
>> January issues, which will come out in December.   So there's a
>> distinct possibility that those magazines will come out and 8.2 still
>> won't be available.  I hadn't anticipated us slipping the schedule by
>> more than a month.  Not that this should be our deciding criteria,
>> but just so people know that I'm not just pushing the date for no
>> reason.
>
> We have this issue every year and it's never ended up being a problem.
> It's the author's or publisher's fault if they can't write their
> articles ambiguous enough.

If the article is about 8.2 (which is likely should be to pique
interest) then there is only so much ambiguity that can be afforded.
Additionally, matching releases of articles, books and other media
coverage around the time of a release is common practice to and
publishers like it when they align.  The above statement sounds like
it has a "world-revolves around PostgreSQL" sentiment.  While it does
on this list, it doesn't elsewhere.  If it is the intention to
leverage the press coverage and articles for PostgreSQL's public
face, then it would be good to respect that even if you can't
appreciate it.

>> Also note that if we release between December 18th and January 3rd,
>> we can pretty much expect no coverage from the press.
>
> We also have this issue every year and I still don't believe it.
> Curiously, there is always excellent press coverage of everything else
> between December 18th and January 3rd.

Retail and consumer press is hot then.  Business press is dead.
Don't both doing a press release then, it'd be better to wait.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// CTO -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/

Сообщение: Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Сообщение: Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues