Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> 1. 8.1 is good enough ;) To be perfectly honest, I haven't looked at 8.2
> *at all* except for the few extremely minor things I did for contrib.
> There is nothing in it that my customers *need*.

None of your customers do multiple outer joins?  Nobody has a use-case
for INSERT RETURNING, such as wanting to fetch the value assigned to a
serial column?  Nobody has a use for CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY?
Nobody needs an order-of-magnitude speedup in large sorts?  Nobody's
hit a context swap storm that might be fixed by 8.2?  I could go on
like this for awhile.

If you are unexcited by 8.2, I'm not entirely sure what we might
accomplish in 8.3 that *would* draw your attention.

> However I know that a lot of people are trying to do *alot* of work for
> 8.3. I have had conversations with several individuals who want:

> Recursive queries
> Multi table indexes
> GROUP BY/WITH
> Further HOT Standby Work

> These all seem like pretty big projects to do with a short lifecycle?

Indeed, and if not one of them appears in 8.3, I won't be very surprised
nor shed any tear.  The point of the short 8.3 dev cycle is (a) to try
to align ourselves with a better time of year for beta/release cycle,
and (b) to push out several big improvements that are already nearly done
but missed 8.2, such as bitmap indexes.  Any other big projects that can
be done by March will be nice gravy, but they aren't going to get to
dictate the schedule.