Обсуждение: VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hello!
  A week ago I reported a problem with VACUUM ANALYZE on linux and memory
error. Three good guys saw my database and two of them for VACUUM problem,
I hope (Tom Lane and Thomas Lockhart).  Have you reproduced the case?
  I ran VACUUM ANALYZE on table basis. Results:

----- Script -----
VACUUM ANALYZE sections;
VACUUM ANALYZE subsections;
VACUUM ANALYZE positions;
VACUUM ANALYZE cities;
VACUUM ANALYZE districts;
VACUUM ANALYZE shop_types;
VACUUM ANALYZE shops;
VACUUM ANALYZE producers;
VACUUM ANALYZE products;
VACUUM ANALYZE correspondents;
VACUUM ANALYZE shop_corr;
VACUUM ANALYZE money4corr;
VACUUM ANALYZE raw_maillog;
VACUUM ANALYZE corr_mail_errors;
VACUUM ANALYZE pos_rating;
VACUUM ANALYZE motd;
VACUUM ANALYZE central;
VACUUM ANALYZE bad_data;
VACUUM ANALYZE today_history;
VACUUM ANALYZE currencies;
VACUUM ANALYZE currency_exch;
VACUUM ANALYZE param_int;
VACUUM ANALYZE param_str;
VACUUM ANALYZE param_float;
VACUUM ANALYZE param_datetime;
VACUUM ANALYZE palette;
VACUUM ANALYZE units;
VACUUM ANALYZE mail_ecod;

----- Log -----
VACUUM
VACUUM
VACUUM
VACUUM
VACUUM
VACUUM
VACUUM
VACUUM

----- Errors -----

VACUUM ANALYZE sections;
VACUUM ANALYZE subsections;
VACUUM ANALYZE positions;
VACUUM ANALYZE cities;
VACUUM ANALYZE districts;
VACUUM ANALYZE shop_types;
VACUUM ANALYZE shops;
VACUUM ANALYZE producers;
VACUUM ANALYZE products;
pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or
whileprocessing the request.

We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible.  Terminating.
----- End -----
  If I remove "products" from script, the next table to fail is "palette". If
I remove "palette" - all goes well.

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

Дата:
Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
> Hello!
>    A week ago I reported a problem with VACUUM ANALYZE on linux and memory
> error. Three good guys saw my database and two of them for VACUUM problem,
> I hope (Tom Lane and Thomas Lockhart).
>    Have you reproduced the case?

Oh!  I'm sorry, I thought I saw a report that someone had already fixed
the problem, so I didn't look at it.
        regards, tom lane

jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
> > Hello!
> >    A week ago I reported a problem with VACUUM ANALYZE on linux and memory
> > error. Three good guys saw my database and two of them for VACUUM problem,
> > I hope (Tom Lane and Thomas Lockhart).
> >    Have you reproduced the case?
>
> Oh!  I'm sorry, I thought I saw a report that someone had already fixed
> the problem, so I didn't look at it.

    Maybe  a  little  misunderstanding.  Oleg  reported  a memory
    exhaustion problem on COPY FROM in the  same  context  (which
    also  happened  on  large updates). I've tracked that down in
    the executor. It was because his table had a CHECK clause and
    that got stringToNode()'ed for each single tuple.

    This  problem  is  fixed  in  CURRENT along with a speedup of
    factor 2++ for the case of CHECK on large ranges. The check's
    are  only  once  stringToNode()'ed  now  and  live  until the
    executor's memory context get's destroyed (the  portal  level
    the plan is executed in).

    I  don't  know  if  the same caused the VACUUM problem. Oleg,
    could you please check against the CURRENT source tree if the
    problem still exists?

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> I reported a problem with VACUUM ANALYZE on linux and memory
> error. Three good guys saw my database and two of them for VACUUM
> problem, I hope (Tom Lane and Thomas Lockhart).
>    Have you reproduced the case?

I understood someone else was starting to look at it, so I have not
(yet). Can do so later if needed...
                     - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hello!
  I'll try CURRENT a bit later (things gonna get real slow these days :).
But I am sure these are two different problems.
  First, I had memory problem on a big table, and VACUUM ANALYZE problem
on two very small tables (few lines).
  Second, I have memory problem on 3 systems - RedHat 5.1 on Pentium,
Debian 2.0 on Pentium, and Solaris on Ultra-1.  But I have VACUUM ANALYZE problem only on linucies.
  BTW, I noted bot linucies are glibc2-based. It would be interesting to
try libc5-based system. May be we can narrow the problem down to
glibc2-based linux?  Have someone libc5-based linux ready to test?

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
> > > Hello!
> > >    A week ago I reported a problem with VACUUM ANALYZE on linux and memory
> > > error. Three good guys saw my database and two of them for VACUUM problem,
> > > I hope (Tom Lane and Thomas Lockhart).
> > >    Have you reproduced the case?
> >
> > Oh!  I'm sorry, I thought I saw a report that someone had already fixed
> > the problem, so I didn't look at it.
>
>     Maybe  a  little  misunderstanding.  Oleg  reported  a memory
>     exhaustion problem on COPY FROM in the  same  context  (which
>     also  happened  on  large updates). I've tracked that down in
>     the executor. It was because his table had a CHECK clause and
>     that got stringToNode()'ed for each single tuple.
>
>     This  problem  is  fixed  in  CURRENT along with a speedup of
>     factor 2++ for the case of CHECK on large ranges. The check's
>     are  only  once  stringToNode()'ed  now  and  live  until the
>     executor's memory context get's destroyed (the  portal  level
>     the plan is executed in).
>
>     I  don't  know  if  the same caused the VACUUM problem. Oleg,
>     could you please check against the CURRENT source tree if the
>     problem still exists?

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann  National Research Surgery Centre  http://sun.med.ru/~phd/          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> Second, I have memory problem on 3 systems - RedHat 5.1 on Pentium,
> Debian 2.0 on Pentium, and Solaris on Ultra-1.
> But I have VACUUM ANALYZE problem only on linucies.
> BTW, I noted bot linucies are glibc2-based. It would be interesting to
> try libc5-based system. May be we can narrow the problem down to
> glibc2-based linux?
> Have someone libc5-based linux ready to test?

I can test on libc5 if you still see trouble after you have verified
Jan's fixes for your memory exhaution problem.

Let me know...
                     - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hello!

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> I can test on libc5 if you still see trouble after you have verified
> Jan's fixes for your memory exhaution problem.
  I've downloaded latest snapshot (9 Feb) and reproduced the problem with
VACUUM ANALYZE on Debian 2.0 (glibc2).

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

Дата:
Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
>> I can test on libc5 if you still see trouble after you have verified
>> Jan's fixes for your memory exhaution problem.

>    I've downloaded latest snapshot (9 Feb) and reproduced the problem with
> VACUUM ANALYZE on Debian 2.0 (glibc2).

I am not able to reproduce the problem on HPUX, using either current
sources or 6.4.2.  Looks like it must be platform specific.

Could you build the backend with -g and send a gdb backtrace from the
corefile produced when the crash occurs?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
> I am not able to reproduce the problem on HPUX, using either current
> sources or 6.4.2.  Looks like it must be platform specific.
  Of course it is platform-specific. I reported the problem on
glibc2-based linucies, but the same database works fine (and allows VACUUM
ANALYZE) on sparc-solaris.  Don't know about libc5 linux - I have no one in hand.

> Could you build the backend with -g and send a gdb backtrace from the
> corefile produced when the crash occurs?
  I'll do it this Saturday.

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann  National Research Surgery Centre  http://sun.med.ru/~phd/          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hi!

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
> Could you build the backend with -g and send a gdb backtrace from the
> corefile produced when the crash occurs?
  Problem compiling with -g:

make[3]: Entering directory
`/usr/local/src/PostgreSQL/postgresql-6.4.2/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc'
gcc -I../../../include -I../../../backend -g -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-I../include -DMAJOR_VERSION=2 -DMINOR_VERSION=4 -DPATCHLEVEL=4
-DINCLUDE_PATH=\"/usr/local/stow/pgsql-debug/include\"
-c y.tab.c -o y.tab.o
preproc.y:2389: parse error at end of input
preproc.y:20: warning: `struct_level' defined but not used
preproc.y:22: warning: `QueryIsRule' defined but not used
preproc.y:23: warning: `actual_type' defined but not used
preproc.y:24: warning: `actual_storage' defined but not used
preproc.y:219: warning: `remove_variables' defined but not used
preproc.y:254: warning: `reset_variables' defined but not used
preproc.y:263: warning: `add_variable' defined but not used
preproc.y:332: warning: `make1_str' defined but not used
preproc.y:341: warning: `make2_str' defined but not used
preproc.y:353: warning: `cat2_str' defined but not used
preproc.y:366: warning: `make3_str' defined but not used
preproc.y:380: warning: `cat3_str' defined but not used
preproc.y:396: warning: `make4_str' defined but not used
preproc.y:412: warning: `cat4_str' defined but not used
preproc.y:431: warning: `make5_str' defined but not used
preproc.y:449: warning: `cat5_str' defined but not used
preproc.y:471: warning: `make_name' defined but not used
preproc.y:481: warning: `output_statement' defined but not used
make[3]: *** [y.tab.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/PostgreSQL/postgresql-6.4.2/src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc'

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann  National Research Surgery Centre  http://sun.med.ru/~phd/          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Дата:
> > Could you build the backend with -g and send a gdb backtrace from
> > the corefile produced when the crash occurs?
>    Problem compiling with -g:

I'd be suprised if "-g" would do that to you. Are you sure the input
file is well-formed?
                     - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hi!

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> > > Could you build the backend with -g and send a gdb backtrace from
> > > the corefile produced when the crash occurs?
> >    Problem compiling with -g:
>
> I'd be suprised if "-g" would do that to you. Are you sure the input
> file is well-formed?
  May be not enough memory or disk space. In the beginnig of next week
I'll have new linux box, so I'll retry.

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann  National Research Surgery Centre  http://sun.med.ru/~phd/          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hello!
  Sorry for making this late :(

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
> Could you build the backend with -g and send a gdb backtrace from the
> corefile produced when the crash occurs?
  I have compiled with -g, but postgres didn't produce core. Do I need
something special on startup to generate core on crash?

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

Дата:
Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
>    I have compiled with -g, but postgres didn't produce core. Do I need
> something special on startup to generate core on crash?

Ordinarily not, but perhaps you have a shell 'limit' setting in place
that prevents a corefile from being made?  I think csh has such a
setting but I forget the details.  Anyway, if postmaster is started from
a shell with any limit variables enabled, they will apply to the
backends too.

Or you might just not be looking in the right place.  Backend crashes
produce corefiles in the database subdirectory, eg,
/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/MyDatabase/core
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hi!

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
> >    I have compiled with -g, but postgres didn't produce core. Do I need
> > something special on startup to generate core on crash?
>
> Ordinarily not, but perhaps you have a shell 'limit' setting in place
> that prevents a corefile from being made?  I think csh has such a
  I am using bash all the time.

> setting but I forget the details.  Anyway, if postmaster is started from
> a shell with any limit variables enabled, they will apply to the
> backends too.
  Ok, I'll retest this.

> Or you might just not be looking in the right place.  Backend crashes
> produce corefiles in the database subdirectory, eg,
> /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/MyDatabase/core
  I search with find / -name core. I got /dev/core and
/usr/src/linux/.../core :)

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> > Or you might just not be looking in the right place.  Backend crashes
> > produce corefiles in the database subdirectory, eg,
> > /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/MyDatabase/core
>
>    I search with find / -name core. I got /dev/core and
> /usr/src/linux/.../core :)

Try this instead:

# find / -name '*.core'

and you should find the other core dumps.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hi!
  I ran postmaster from command line (usually I run it from /etc/init.d/),
connected to it and ran VACUUM ANALYZE.  It worked.
  I don't know should I use :) or :( - it failed on production server and
worked on debugging server...

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Followup to myself...

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>    I ran postmaster from command line (usually I run it from /etc/init.d/),
> connected to it and ran VACUUM ANALYZE.
>    It worked.
  I tested the following way:

1. Run postmaster without parameters; connect and run VACUUM ANALYZE -
worked.

2. Run postmaster -b -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -o -Fe  and run VACUUM ANALYZE - worked

3. Run postmaster -b -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -o -Fe -S (to detach it)  and run VACUUM ANALYZE - worked
  (I took these parameters from script /etc/init.d/postgres)

4. Run /etc/init.d/postgres start  and run VACUUM ANALYZE - failed, no core file.

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

Дата:
Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
> 3. Run postmaster -b -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -o -Fe -S (to detach it)
>    and run VACUUM ANALYZE - worked
>    (I took these parameters from script /etc/init.d/postgres)
> 4. Run /etc/init.d/postgres start
>    and run VACUUM ANALYZE - failed, no core file.

So there is something different about the environment of your postmaster
when it's started by init.d versus when it's started by hand.  Now you
just have to figure out what.

I thought of environment variables, ulimit settings,
ownership/permission settings ... but it's not clear why any of these
would affect VACUUM in particular yet leave you able to do other stuff
successfully.  Puzzling.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hello!

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
> Could you build the backend with -g and send a gdb backtrace from the
> corefile produced when the crash occurs?
  I have a problem getting core - postgres didn't produces core. Recently
I got a suggestion (from Vadim) to attach gdb to a running process and
debug it this way. Ok, done.  To remind of the problem - I have a problem running VACUUM ANALYZE on a
glibc2 linux (Debian 2.0). On solaris it is Ok (and I got a report it is Ok
on HP-UX).  Here is the traceback. The problem is in strcoll, don't understand why.

0x40119587 in strcoll ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x40119587 in strcoll ()
#1  0x816cadd in varstr_cmp (arg1=0x4020fccc "      ", len1=0,    arg2=0x8268604 "      ", len2=0) at varlena.c:511
#2  0x816b31d in bpcharlt (arg1=0x4020fcc8 "\n", arg2=0x8268600 "\n")   at varchar.c:504
#3  0x80a1bb7 in vc_attrstats (onerel=0x8264378, vacrelstats=0x8262a10,    tuple=0x4020fc90) at vacuum.c:1630
#4  0x809ffec in vc_scanheap (vacrelstats=0x8262a10, onerel=0x8264378,    vacuum_pages=0xbfffcf84,
fraged_pages=0xbfffcf78)at vacuum.c:806

#5  0x809f773 in vc_vacone (relid=32600, analyze=1 '\001', va_cols=0x0)   at vacuum.c:504
#6  0x809ed84 in vc_vacuum (VacRelP=0x0, analyze=1 '\001', va_cols=0x0)   at vacuum.c:257
#7  0x809ec3e in vacuum (vacrel=0x0, verbose=0 '\000', analyze=1 '\001',    va_spec=0x0) at vacuum.c:160
#8  0x8138c43 in ProcessUtility (parsetree=0x82464e0, dest=Remote)   at utility.c:644
#9  0x8135388 in pg_exec_query_dest (query_string=0xbfffd0d4 "vacuum
analyze;",    dest=Remote, aclOverride=0 '\000') at postgres.c:758
#10 0x8135264 in pg_exec_query (query_string=0xbfffd0d4 "vacuum analyze;")   at postgres.c:699
#11 0x813677e in PostgresMain (argc=6, argv=0xbffff15c, real_argc=8,    real_argv=0xbffffafc) at postgres.c:1645
#12 0x8111561 in DoBackend (port=0x82110f0) at postmaster.c:1541
#13 0x8110f35 in BackendStartup (port=0x82110f0) at postmaster.c:1312
#14 0x811012f in ServerLoop () at postmaster.c:757
#15 0x810fb5e in PostmasterMain (argc=8, argv=0xbffffafc) at
postmaster.c:563
#16 0x80c8c32 in main (argc=8, argv=0xbffffafc) at main.c:93

>             regards, tom lane

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

Дата:
Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
>    To remind of the problem - I have a problem running VACUUM ANALYZE on a
> glibc2 linux (Debian 2.0). On solaris it is Ok (and I got a report it is Ok
> on HP-UX).
>    Here is the traceback. The problem is in strcoll, don't understand why.

> 0x40119587 in strcoll ()
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x40119587 in strcoll ()
> #1  0x816cadd in varstr_cmp (arg1=0x4020fccc "      ", len1=0,
>     arg2=0x8268604 "      ", len2=0) at varlena.c:511
> #2  0x816b31d in bpcharlt (arg1=0x4020fcc8 "\n", arg2=0x8268600 "\n")
>     at varchar.c:504

Sure looks like strcoll is broken on your platform.  Build a little test
program and see if strcoll("", "") coredumps ... if the traceback is
accurate, that's what was getting passed to it.

BTW, why in the world is varstr_cmp written to duplicate the strings
it's passed, rather than just handing them off to strcoll() as-is?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hi!

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
> Sure looks like strcoll is broken on your platform.  Build a little test
> program and see if strcoll("", "") coredumps ... if the traceback is
> accurate, that's what was getting passed to it.
  Will test it...

> BTW, why in the world is varstr_cmp written to duplicate the strings
> it's passed, rather than just handing them off to strcoll() as-is?
  I got the code... No, I didn't "got" it - I found the code. Initially it
was written by Oleg Bartunov, and I extended it a bit for all char types
(initial code worked only with "text" type).

>             regards, tom lane

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

Дата:
> Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
> >    To remind of the problem - I have a problem running VACUUM ANALYZE on a
> > glibc2 linux (Debian 2.0). On solaris it is Ok (and I got a report it is Ok
> > on HP-UX).
> >    Here is the traceback. The problem is in strcoll, don't understand why.
>
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > 0x40119587 in strcoll ()
> > (gdb) where
> > #0  0x40119587 in strcoll ()
> > #1  0x816cadd in varstr_cmp (arg1=0x4020fccc "      ", len1=0,
> >     arg2=0x8268604 "      ", len2=0) at varlena.c:511
> > #2  0x816b31d in bpcharlt (arg1=0x4020fcc8 "\n", arg2=0x8268600 "\n")
> >     at varchar.c:504
>
> Sure looks like strcoll is broken on your platform.  Build a little test
> program and see if strcoll("", "") coredumps ... if the traceback is
> accurate, that's what was getting passed to it.
>
> BTW, why in the world is varstr_cmp written to duplicate the strings
> it's passed, rather than just handing them off to strcoll() as-is?

It appears he is unsure whether the string is null-terminated, and he is
right in not assuming that.  We have strncmp, but there is no strncoll().

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

Дата:
>> BTW, why in the world is varstr_cmp written to duplicate the strings
>> it's passed, rather than just handing them off to strcoll() as-is?

> It appears he is unsure whether the string is null-terminated, and he is
> right in not assuming that.

Oh, of course.  Excuse momentary brain fade :-(
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
> Sure looks like strcoll is broken on your platform.  Build a little test
> program and see if strcoll("", "") coredumps ... if the traceback is
> accurate, that's what was getting passed to it.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main()
{  printf("strcoll: %d\n", strcoll("", ""));return 0;
}
  prints: "strcoll: 0". No core.

>             regards, tom lane

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hello!

> >    To remind of the problem - I have a problem running VACUUM ANALYZE on a
> > glibc2 linux (Debian 2.0). On solaris it is Ok (and I got a report it is Ok
> > on HP-UX).
  I have upgradede Debian 2.0 to 2.1 and the problem mysteriously gone
away!
  I am using the word "mysteriously" because:
-- I have not upgraded kernel (yet) - I am still running 2.0.34
-- I have not upgraded glibc2 - both 2.0 and 2.1 are based upon libc-2.0.7
-- I have not upgraded nor recompiled postgres.
  Yes, this fix my problem, but what next? It seems suspicious to me, so I
can expect other glibc2-related problems.  BTW, I already reported yet another problem with glibc2 - bug with
complex join (actually, not so complex - 4 tables). I overcame the error by
rewriting the query into correlated subquery with EXISTS. I'll test if
Debian upgrade "mysteriously" fix the problem too.

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
Hi!
  Followup to myself...

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>    BTW, I already reported yet another problem with glibc2 - bug with
> complex join (actually, not so complex - 4 tables). I overcame the error by
> rewriting the query into correlated subquery with EXISTS. I'll test if
> Debian upgrade "mysteriously" fix the problem too.
  No, the join still bugs (it return 0 rows, where rewrote query returns
some number of rows, and these rows seems to me pretty good - either there
is a bug in join or I rewrote the query in a wrong way, and got correct
results :)