Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux

От Oleg Broytmann
Тема Re: [HACKERS] VACUUM ANALYZE problem on linux
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello!
  I'll try CURRENT a bit later (things gonna get real slow these days :).
But I am sure these are two different problems.
  First, I had memory problem on a big table, and VACUUM ANALYZE problem
on two very small tables (few lines).
  Second, I have memory problem on 3 systems - RedHat 5.1 on Pentium,
Debian 2.0 on Pentium, and Solaris on Ultra-1.  But I have VACUUM ANALYZE problem only on linucies.
  BTW, I noted bot linucies are glibc2-based. It would be interesting to
try libc5-based system. May be we can narrow the problem down to
glibc2-based linux?  Have someone libc5-based linux ready to test?

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Oleg Broytmann <phd@sun.med.ru> writes:
> > > Hello!
> > >    A week ago I reported a problem with VACUUM ANALYZE on linux and memory
> > > error. Three good guys saw my database and two of them for VACUUM problem,
> > > I hope (Tom Lane and Thomas Lockhart).
> > >    Have you reproduced the case?
> >
> > Oh!  I'm sorry, I thought I saw a report that someone had already fixed
> > the problem, so I didn't look at it.
>
>     Maybe  a  little  misunderstanding.  Oleg  reported  a memory
>     exhaustion problem on COPY FROM in the  same  context  (which
>     also  happened  on  large updates). I've tracked that down in
>     the executor. It was because his table had a CHECK clause and
>     that got stringToNode()'ed for each single tuple.
>
>     This  problem  is  fixed  in  CURRENT along with a speedup of
>     factor 2++ for the case of CHECK on large ranges. The check's
>     are  only  once  stringToNode()'ed  now  and  live  until the
>     executor's memory context get's destroyed (the  portal  level
>     the plan is executed in).
>
>     I  don't  know  if  the same caused the VACUUM problem. Oleg,
>     could you please check against the CURRENT source tree if the
>     problem still exists?

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann  National Research Surgery Centre  http://sun.med.ru/~phd/          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.