Обсуждение: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

[18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
The IMMUTABLE marker for functions is quite simple on the surface, but
could be interpreted a few different ways, and there's some historical
baggage that makes it complicated.

There are a number of ways in which IMMUTABLE functions can change
behavior:

1. Updating or moving to a different OS affects all collations that use
the libc provider (other than "C" and "POSIX", which don't actually use
libc). LOWER(), INITCAP(), UPPER() and pattern matching are also
affected.

2. Updating ICU affects the collations that use the ICU provider.
ICU_UNICODE_VERSION(), LOWER(), INITCAP(), UPPER() and pattern matching
are also affected.

3. Moving to a different database encoding may affect collations that
use the "C" or "POSIX" locales in the libc provider (NB: those locales
don't actually use libc).

4. A PG Unicode update may change the results of functions that depend
on Unicode. For instance, NORMALIZE(), UNICODE_ASSIGNED(), and
UNICODE_VERSION(). Or, if using the new builtin provider's "C.UTF-8"
locale in version 17, LOWER(), INITCAP(), UPPER(), and pattern matching
(NB: collation itself is not affected -- always code point order).

5. If a well-defined IMMUTABLE function produces the wrong results, we
may fix the bug in the next major release.

6. The GUC extra_float_digits can change the results of floating point
text output.

7. A UDF may be improperly marked IMMUTABLE. A particularly common
variant is a UDF without search_path specified, which is probably not
truly IMMUTABLE.

(more I'm sure, please add to list...)

#1 and #2 have been discussed much more than the rest, but I think it's
worthwhile to enumerate the other problems even if the impact is a lot
lower.

Noah seemed particularly concerned[1] about #4, so I'll start off by
discussing that. Here's a brief history (slightly confusing because the
PG and Unicode versions are similar numbers):

  PG13: Unicode 13.0 and NORMALIZE() is first exposed as a SQL function
  PG15: Unicode updated to 14.0
  PG16: Unicode updated to 15.0
  PG17: Unicode updated to 15.1, UNICODE_ASSIGNED(), UNICODE_VERSION()
and builtin "C.UTF-8" locale are introduced

To repeat, these Unicode updates do not affect collation itself, they
affect affect NORMALIZE(), UNICODE_VERSION(), and UNICODE_ASSIGNED().
If using the builtin "C.UTF-8" locale, they also affect LOWER(),
INITCAP(), UPPER(), and pattern matching. (NB: the builtin collation
provider hasn't yet gone through any Unicode update.)

There are two alternative philosophies:

A. By choosing to use a Unicode-based function, the user has opted in
to the Unicode stability guarantees[2], and it's fine to update Unicode
occasionally in new major versions as long as we are transparent with
the user.

B. IMMUTABLE implies some very strict definition of stability, and we
should never again update Unicode because it changes the results of
IMMUTABLE functions.

We've been following (A), and that's the defacto policy today[3][4].
Noah and Laurenz argued[5] that the policy starting in version 18
should be (B). Given that it's a policy decision that affects more than
just the builtin collation provider, I'd like to discuss it more
broadly outside of that subthread.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20240629220857.fb.nmisch@google.com

[2]
https://www.unicode.org/policies/stability_policy.html

[3]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1d178eb1bbd61da1bcfe4a11d6545e9cdcede1d1.camel%40j-davis.com

[4]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/564325.1720297161%40sss.pgh.pa.us

[5]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/af82b292f13dd234790bc701933e9992ee07d4fa.camel%40cybertec.at

Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 7/16/24 13:42, Jeff Davis wrote:
> [...]
> INITCAP(), UPPER(), and pattern matching. (NB: the builtin collation
> provider hasn't yet gone through any Unicode update.)
>
> There are two alternative philosophies:
>
> A. By choosing to use a Unicode-based function, the user has opted in
> to the Unicode stability guarantees[2], and it's fine to update Unicode
> occasionally in new major versions as long as we are transparent with
> the user.
>
> B. IMMUTABLE implies some very strict definition of stability, and we
> should never again update Unicode because it changes the results of
> IMMUTABLE functions.
>
> We've been following (A), and that's the defacto policy today[3][4].
> Noah and Laurenz argued[5] that the policy starting in version 18
> should be (B). Given that it's a policy decision that affects more than
> just the builtin collation provider, I'd like to discuss it more

On the general topic, we have these definitions in the fine manual:

8<-----------------
A VOLATILE function can do anything, ... A query using a volatile
function will re-evaluate the function at every row where its value is
needed.

A STABLE function cannot modify the database and is guaranteed to return
the same results given the same arguments for all rows within a single
statement...

An IMMUTABLE function cannot modify the database and is guaranteed to
return the same results given the same arguments forever.
8<-----------------

As Jeff points out, the IMMUTABLE definition has never really been true.
Even the STABLE is not quite right, as there are at least some STABLE
functions that will return the same value for multiple statements if
they are within a transaction block (e.g. "now()" -- TBH I don't
remember offhand if that is true for all stable functions).

In any case, there is quite a gap between "forever" and "single
statement". Perhaps we need to have more volatility categories, with
guarantees that lie somewhere between the two, and allow those to be
used like we do IMMUTABLE except with appropriate warning labels. E.g.
something ("STABLE_VERSION"?) to mean "forever within a major version
lifetime" and something ("STABLE_SYSTEM?") to mean "as long as you don't
upgrade your OS".

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 11:57 AM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> There are two alternative philosophies:
>
> A. By choosing to use a Unicode-based function, the user has opted in
> to the Unicode stability guarantees[2], and it's fine to update Unicode
> occasionally in new major versions as long as we are transparent with
> the user.
>
> B. IMMUTABLE implies some very strict definition of stability, and we
> should never again update Unicode because it changes the results of
> IMMUTABLE functions.
>
> We've been following (A), and that's the defacto policy today[3][4].
> Noah and Laurenz argued[5] that the policy starting in version 18
> should be (B). Given that it's a policy decision that affects more than
> just the builtin collation provider, I'd like to discuss it more
> broadly outside of that subthread.

On the general topic, we have these definitions in the fine manual:

8<-----------------
A VOLATILE function can do anything, ... A query using a volatile
function will re-evaluate the function at every row where its value is
needed.

A STABLE function cannot modify the database and is guaranteed to return
the same results given the same arguments for all rows within a single
statement...

An IMMUTABLE function cannot modify the database and is guaranteed to
return the same results given the same arguments forever.
8<-----------------

As Jeff points out, the IMMUTABLE definition has never really been true.

Even the STABLE is not quite right, as there are at least some STABLE
functions that will return the same value for multiple statements if
they are within a transaction block (e.g. "now()" -- TBH I don't
remember offhand if that is true for all stable functions).

Under-specification here doesn't make the meaning of stable incorrect.  We don't have anything that guarantees stability at the transaction scope because I don't think it can be guaranteed there without considering whether said transaction is read-committed, repeatable read, or serializable.  The function itself can promise more but the marker seems correctly scoped for how the system uses it in statement optimization.

 and allow those to be
used like we do IMMUTABLE except with appropriate warning labels. E.g.
something ("STABLE_VERSION"?) to mean "forever within a major version
lifetime" and something ("STABLE_SYSTEM?") to mean "as long as you don't
upgrade your OS".

I'd be content cutting "forever" down to "within a given server configuration".  Then just note that immutable functions can depend implicitly on external server characteristics and so when moving data between servers re-evaluation of immutable functions may be necessary.  Not so bad for indexes.  A bit more problematic for generated values.

I'm not against adding metadata options here but for internal functions comments and documentation can work.  For user-defined functions I have my doubts on how trustworthy they would end up being.

For the original question, I suggest continuing behaving per "A" and work on making it more clear to users what that means in terms of server upgrades.

If we do add metadata to reflect our reality I'd settle on a generic "STATIC" marker that can be used on those functions the rely on real world state, whether we are directly calling into the system (e.g., hashing) or have chosen to provide the state access management ourselves (e.g., unicode).

When we do take control we should have a goal of allowing for a given external dependency version to exist in many PostgreSQL versions and give the DBA the choice of when to move individual databases from one version to the next.  Possibly dropping the dependency version support alongside the dropping of support of the major version it first appeared in. Not keeping up with external dependency versions just punishes new users by forbidding them a tool permanently, as well as puts us out-of-step with those dependency development groups, to save existing users some short-term pain.  Being able to deal with that pain at a time different than the middle of a major version upgrade, one database at a time, gives those existing users reasonable options.

David J.

Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 7/16/24 15:33, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 11:57 AM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com
> <mailto:mail@joeconway.com>> wrote:
>

>      > There are two alternative philosophies:
>      >
>      > A. By choosing to use a Unicode-based function, the user has opted in
>      > to the Unicode stability guarantees[2], and it's fine to update
>     Unicode
>      > occasionally in new major versions as long as we are transparent with
>      > the user.
>      >
>      > B. IMMUTABLE implies some very strict definition of stability, and we
>      > should never again update Unicode because it changes the results of
>      > IMMUTABLE functions.
>      >
>      > We've been following (A), and that's the defacto policy today[3][4].
>      > Noah and Laurenz argued[5] that the policy starting in version 18
>      > should be (B). Given that it's a policy decision that affects
>     more than
>      > just the builtin collation provider, I'd like to discuss it more
>      > broadly outside of that subthread.
>
>     On the general topic, we have these definitions in the fine manual:
>
>     8<-----------------
>     A VOLATILE function can do anything, ... A query using a volatile
>     function will re-evaluate the function at every row where its value is
>     needed.
>
>     A STABLE function cannot modify the database and is guaranteed to
>     return
>     the same results given the same arguments for all rows within a single
>     statement...
>
>     An IMMUTABLE function cannot modify the database and is guaranteed to
>     return the same results given the same arguments forever.
>     8<-----------------
>
>     As Jeff points out, the IMMUTABLE definition has never really been
>     true.
>
>     Even the STABLE is not quite right, as there are at least some STABLE
>     functions that will return the same value for multiple statements if
>     they are within a transaction block (e.g. "now()" -- TBH I don't
>     remember offhand if that is true for all stable functions).
>

> Under-specification here doesn't make the meaning of stable incorrect.
> We don't have anything that guarantees stability at the transaction
> scope because I don't think it can be guaranteed there without
> considering whether said transaction is read-committed, repeatable read,
> or serializable.  The function itself can promise more but the marker
> seems correctly scoped for how the system uses it in statement optimization.

The way it is described is still surprising and can bite you if you are
not familiar with the nuances. In particular I have seen now() used in
transaction blocks surprise more than one person over the years.

>       and allow those to be
>     used like we do IMMUTABLE except with appropriate warning labels. E.g.
>     something ("STABLE_VERSION"?) to mean "forever within a major version
>     lifetime" and something ("STABLE_SYSTEM?") to mean "as long as you
>     don't
>     upgrade your OS".
>
> I'd be content cutting "forever" down to "within a given server
> configuration".  Then just note that immutable functions can depend
> implicitly on external server characteristics and so when moving data
> between servers re-evaluation of immutable functions may be necessary.
> Not so bad for indexes.  A bit more problematic for generated values.

Yeah I forgot about the configuration controlled ones.

> I'm not against adding metadata options here but for internal functions
> comments and documentation can work.  For user-defined functions I have
> my doubts on how trustworthy they would end up being.

People lie all the time for user-defined functions, usually specifically
when they need IMMUTABLE semantics and are willing to live with the risk
and/or apply their own controls to ensure no changes in output.

> For the original question, I suggest continuing behaving per "A" and
> work on making it more clear to users what that means in terms of server
> upgrades.
>
> If we do add metadata to reflect our reality I'd settle on a generic
> "STATIC" marker that can be used on those functions the rely on real
> world state, whether we are directly calling into the system (e.g.,
> hashing) or have chosen to provide the state access management ourselves
> (e.g., unicode).

So you are proposing we add STATIC to VOLATILE/STABLE/IMMUTABLE (in the
third position before IMMUTABLE), give it IMMUTABLE semantics, mark
builtin functions that deserve it, and document with suitable caution
statements?

I guess can live with just one additional level of granularity.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

Дата:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> So you are proposing we add STATIC to VOLATILE/STABLE/IMMUTABLE (in the
> third position before IMMUTABLE), give it IMMUTABLE semantics, mark
> builtin functions that deserve it, and document with suitable caution
> statements?

What is the point of that, exactly?

I'll agree that the user documentation could use some improvement
in how it describes the volatility levels, but I do not see how
it will reduce anybody's confusion to invent multiple aliases for
what's effectively the same volatility level.  Nor do I see a
use-case for actually having multiple versions of "immutable".
Once you've decided you can put something into an index, quibbling
over just how immutable it is doesn't really change anything.

To put this another way: the existing volatility levels were
basically reverse-engineered from the ways that the planner could
meaningfully treat a function: it's dangerous, it is safe enough
to use in an index condition (which changes the number of times
the query will evaluate it), or it's safe to constant-fold in
advance of execution.  Unless there's a fourth planner behavior that's
worth having, we don't need a fourth level.  Possibly you could
argue that "safe to put in an index" is a different level from
"safe to constant-fold", but I don't really agree with that.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 7/16/24 16:16, Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>> So you are proposing we add STATIC to VOLATILE/STABLE/IMMUTABLE (in the
>> third position before IMMUTABLE), give it IMMUTABLE semantics, mark
>> builtin functions that deserve it, and document with suitable caution
>> statements?
>
> What is the point of that, exactly?
>
> I'll agree that the user documentation could use some improvement
> in how it describes the volatility levels, but I do not see how
> it will reduce anybody's confusion to invent multiple aliases for
> what's effectively the same volatility level.  Nor do I see a
> use-case for actually having multiple versions of "immutable".
> Once you've decided you can put something into an index, quibbling
> over just how immutable it is doesn't really change anything.
>
> To put this another way: the existing volatility levels were
> basically reverse-engineered from the ways that the planner could
> meaningfully treat a function: it's dangerous, it is safe enough
> to use in an index condition (which changes the number of times
> the query will evaluate it), or it's safe to constant-fold in
> advance of execution.  Unless there's a fourth planner behavior that's
> worth having, we don't need a fourth level.  Possibly you could
> argue that "safe to put in an index" is a different level from
> "safe to constant-fold", but I don't really agree with that.

Fair enough, but then I think we should change the documentation to not
say "forever".

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases

Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

Дата:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Fair enough, but then I think we should change the documentation to not
> say "forever".

No objection to that, it's clearly a misleading definition.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 1:16 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> So you are proposing we add STATIC to VOLATILE/STABLE/IMMUTABLE (in the
> third position before IMMUTABLE), give it IMMUTABLE semantics, mark
> builtin functions that deserve it, and document with suitable caution
> statements?

What is the point of that, exactly?

I'll agree that the user documentation could use some improvement
in how it describes the volatility levels, but I do not see how
it will reduce anybody's confusion to invent multiple aliases for
what's effectively the same volatility level.  Nor do I see a
use-case for actually having multiple versions of "immutable".
Once you've decided you can put something into an index, quibbling
over just how immutable it is doesn't really change anything.

I'd teach pg_upgrade to inspect the post-upgraded catalog of is-use dependencies and report on any of these it finds and remind the DBA that this latent issue may exist in their system.

I agree the core behaviors of the system would remain unchanged and both modes would be handled identically.  Though requiring superuser or a predefined role membership to actually use a "static" mode function in an index or generated expression would be an interesting option to consider.

David J.

Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

От
Jeremy Schneider