Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2024-07-19 at 21:06 +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> Perhaps I should moderate my statement: if a change affects only a
> newly
> introduced code point (which is unlikely to be used in a database),
> and we
> think that the change is very important, we could consider applying
> it.
> But that should be carefully considered; I am against blindly
> following the
> changes in Unicode.

That sounds reasonable.

I propose that, going forward, we take more care with Unicode updates:
assess the impact, provide time for comments, and consider possible
mitigations. In other words, it would be reviewed like any other
change.

Ideally, some new developments would make it less worrisome, and
Unicode updates could become more routine. I have some ideas, which I
can propose in separate threads. But for now, I don't see a reason to
rush Unicode updates.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis