Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: [18] Policy on IMMUTABLE functions and Unicode updates
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2024-07-22 at 19:18 +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> I understand the difficulty (madness) of discussing every Unicode
> change.  If that's unworkable, my preference would be to stick with
> some
> Unicode version and never modify it, ever.

Among all the ways that IMMUTABLE and indexes can go wrong, is there a
reason why you think we should draw such a bright line in this one
case?

> Are you proposing a switch that would make PostgreSQL error out if
> somebody wants to use an unassigned code point?  That would be an
> option.

You can use a CHECK(UNICODE_ASSIGNED(t)) in version 17, and in version
18 I have a proposal here to make it a database-level option:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/a0e85aca6e03042881924c4b31a840a915a9d349.camel@j-davis.com

(Note: the proposal might have a few holes in it, I didn't look at it
lately and nobody has commented yet.)

Regards,
    Jeff Davis