Обсуждение: fsync-pgdata-on-recovery tries to write to more files than previously

fsync-pgdata-on-recovery tries to write to more files than previously

От
Christoph Berg
Дата:
Hi,

the new fsync-pgdata-on-recovery code tries to open all files using
O_RDWR. At least on 9.1, this can make recovery fail:

* launch postgres, hit ^\ (or otherwise shut down uncleanly)
* touch foo; chmod 444 foo
* launch postgres

LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2015-05-23 19:18:36 CEST
FATAL:  could not open file "/home/cbe/9.1/foo": Permission denied
LOG:  startup process (PID 27305) exited with exit code 1
LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure

The code on 9.4 looks similar to me, but I couldn't trigger the
problem there.

I think this is a real-world problem:

1) In older releases, the SSL certs were read from the data directory,
and at least the default Debian installation creates symlinks from
PGDATA/server.* to /etc/ssl/ where PostgreSQL can't write

2) It's probably a pretty common scenario that the root user will edit
postgresql.conf, and make backups or create other random files there
that are not writable. Even a non-writable postgresql.conf itself or
recovery.conf was not a problem previously.

To me, this is a serious regression because it prevents automatic
startup of a server that would otherwise just run.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Re: fsync-pgdata-on-recovery tries to write to more files than previously

От
Christoph Berg
Re: To PostgreSQL Hackers 2015-05-23 <20150523172627.GA24277@msg.df7cb.de>
> Hi,
>
> the new fsync-pgdata-on-recovery code tries to open all files using
> O_RDWR. At least on 9.1, this can make recovery fail:
>
> * launch postgres, hit ^\ (or otherwise shut down uncleanly)
> * touch foo; chmod 444 foo
> * launch postgres
>
> LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2015-05-23 19:18:36 CEST
> FATAL:  could not open file "/home/cbe/9.1/foo": Permission denied
> LOG:  startup process (PID 27305) exited with exit code 1
> LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
>
> The code on 9.4 looks similar to me, but I couldn't trigger the
> problem there.

Correction: 9.4 is equally broken. (I was still running 9.4.1 when I
tried first.)

> I think this is a real-world problem:
>
> 1) In older releases, the SSL certs were read from the data directory,
> and at least the default Debian installation creates symlinks from
> PGDATA/server.* to /etc/ssl/ where PostgreSQL can't write
>
> 2) It's probably a pretty common scenario that the root user will edit
> postgresql.conf, and make backups or create other random files there
> that are not writable. Even a non-writable postgresql.conf itself or
> recovery.conf was not a problem previously.

3) The .postgresql.conf.swp files created by (root's) vim are 0600.

> To me, this is a serious regression because it prevents automatic
> startup of a server that would otherwise just run.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Re: fsync-pgdata-on-recovery tries to write to more files than previously

Дата:
Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
> the new fsync-pgdata-on-recovery code tries to open all files using
> O_RDWR. At least on 9.1, this can make recovery fail:

Hm.  I wonder whether it would be all right to just skip files for which
we get EPERM on open().  The argument being that if we can't write to the
file, we should not be held responsible for fsync'ing it either.  But
I'm not sure whether EPERM would be the only relevant errno, or whether
there are cases where this would mask real problems.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Tom Lane 2015-05-23 <2284.1432413209@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
> > the new fsync-pgdata-on-recovery code tries to open all files using
> > O_RDWR. At least on 9.1, this can make recovery fail:
>
> Hm.  I wonder whether it would be all right to just skip files for which
> we get EPERM on open().  The argument being that if we can't write to the
> file, we should not be held responsible for fsync'ing it either.  But
> I'm not sure whether EPERM would be the only relevant errno, or whether
> there are cases where this would mask real problems.

Maybe logging WARNINGs instead of FATAL would be enough of a fix?

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Re: fsync-pgdata-on-recovery tries to write to more files than previously

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2015-05-23 16:33:29 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
> > the new fsync-pgdata-on-recovery code tries to open all files using
> > O_RDWR. At least on 9.1, this can make recovery fail:
>
> Hm.  I wonder whether it would be all right to just skip files for which
> we get EPERM on open().  The argument being that if we can't write to the
> file, we should not be held responsible for fsync'ing it either.  But
> I'm not sure whether EPERM would be the only relevant errno, or whether
> there are cases where this would mask real problems.

We could even try doing the a fsync with a readonly fd as a fallback,
but that's also pretty hacky.

How about, to avoid masking actual problems, we have a more
differentiated logic for the toplevel data directory? I think we could
just skip all non-directory files in there data_directory itself. None
of the files in the toplevel directory, with the exception of
postgresql.auto.conf, will ever get written to by PG itself.  And if
there's readonly files somewhere in a subdirectory, I won't feel
particularly bad.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Andres Freund 2015-05-24 <20150524005245.GD32396@alap3.anarazel.de>
> How about, to avoid masking actual problems, we have a more
> differentiated logic for the toplevel data directory? I think we could
> just skip all non-directory files in there data_directory itself. None
> of the files in the toplevel directory, with the exception of
> postgresql.auto.conf, will ever get written to by PG itself.  And if
> there's readonly files somewhere in a subdirectory, I won't feel
> particularly bad.

I like that idea.

Christoph
--

Re: To Andres Freund 2015-05-24 <20150524075244.GB27048@msg.df7cb.de>
> Re: Andres Freund 2015-05-24 <20150524005245.GD32396@alap3.anarazel.de>
> > How about, to avoid masking actual problems, we have a more
> > differentiated logic for the toplevel data directory? I think we could
> > just skip all non-directory files in there data_directory itself. None
> > of the files in the toplevel directory, with the exception of
> > postgresql.auto.conf, will ever get written to by PG itself.  And if
> > there's readonly files somewhere in a subdirectory, I won't feel
> > particularly bad.

pg_log/ is also admin domain. What about only recursing into
well-known directories + postgresql.auto.conf?

(I've also been wondering if pg_basebackup shouldn't skip pg_log, but
that's a different topic...)

Christoph