Re: fsync-pgdata-on-recovery tries to write to more files than previously

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: fsync-pgdata-on-recovery tries to write to more files than previously
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Speaking of which, could somebody test that the committed patch does
> what it's supposed to on Windows?  You were worried upthread about
> whether the tests for symlinks (aka junction points) behaved correctly,
> and I have no way to check that either.

I have done some tests for the committed patch for this issue
(especially to check the behaviour of symlink tests in the
new code) on Windows - 7 and below are results:

Test symlink for pg_xlog
-------------------------------------
Test -1 - Junction point for pg_xlog
1. Create a database (initdb)
2. Start server and forcefully crash it
3. cp E:\PGData\pg_xlog E:\TempLog\xlog_symlink_loc
4. mv E:\PGData\pg_xlog E:\bak_pg_xlog
5. Created a directory junction (equivalent symlink)
mklink /J E:\ PGData\pg_xlog E:\TempLog\xlog_symlink_loc
6.  Restart Server - operation is successful.
I have debugged this operation, it does what it suppose to do,
detects the junction point and does fsync.

Test - 2 - Directory Symlink for pg_xlog
First 4 steps are same as Test-1
5.  mklink /D E:\ PGData\pg_xlog E:\TempLog\xlog_symlink_loc
6.  Restart Server - Error
- FATAL:  required WAL directory "pg_xlog" does not exist
This error occurs in
ValidateXLOGDirectoryStructure()->stat(XLOGDIR, &stat_buf)
7. If I manually step-through that line, it proceeds and in
SyncDataDirectory(), it detects the symlink;
8. After that in SyncDataDirectory(), when it does walkdir for
datadir, for ./pg_xlog it reports the log message and then
proceeds normal and the server is started.

Test-3 - Symlinks in pg_tblspc.
1. Create couple of tablespaces which creates symlinks
in pg_tblspc
2. Crash the server
3. Restart Server - It works fine.

I am not sure Test-2 is a valid thing and we should support it or
not, but the current patch is sane w.r.t that form of symlinks
as well.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.