Обсуждение: FATAL 1: SetUserId:

FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Bernd Johannes Wuebben
Дата:
Hello,

        I have just installed the latest postgresql rpms on RedHat 5.1:

root: rpm -q postgresql
postgresql-6.3.2-4

root: rpm -q postgresql-data
postgresql-data-6.3.2-4

However I can't get started with postgres as outlined in the tutorial:

wuebben: psql template1
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"

The postmaster is running:

root: ps ax | grep post
  580  p1 S    0:00 grep post
  293  ?  S    0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -S -D/var/lib/pgsql

Why is psql complaining ( and so are createdb and friends ) about:
SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"  if  psql is not even
looking in /var/lib/pg_shadow ( see strace below )? What do I need to
do to get started?

The following doesn't work either ( for any user be it root or wuebben):

root: psql -d template1 -c "create user wuebben"
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user "root" is not in "pg_shadow"

I sincerley hope there is something wrong with the rpms, and not
with the documenation. ;-)

thanks!
Bernd

strace -etrace=open psql template1 > log.txt 2>&1

open("/etc/ld.so.preload", O_RDONLY)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libpq.so.1", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY)      = 3
open("/usr/lib/libpq.so.1", O_RDONLY)   = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libcrypt.so.1", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("/lib/libcrypt.so.1", O_RDONLY)    = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libnsl.so.1", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
open("/lib/libnsl.so.1", O_RDONLY)      = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libdl.so.2", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
open("/lib/libdl.so.2", O_RDONLY)       = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libm.so.6", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
open("/lib/libm.so.6", O_RDONLY)        = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libreadline.so.3", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/libreadline.so.3", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libhistory.so.3", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/libhistory.so.3", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libtermcap.so.2", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("/lib/libtermcap.so.2", O_RDONLY)  = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libncurses.so.4", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/libncurses.so.4", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
open("/lib/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY)        = 3
open("/etc/nsswitch.conf", O_RDONLY)    = 3
open("/usr/local/qt/lib/libnss_files.so.1", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/lib/libnss_files.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY)           = 3
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user "root" is not in "pg_shadow"

Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Maarten Boekhold
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         I have just installed the latest postgresql rpms on RedHat 5.1:
>
> root: rpm -q postgresql
> postgresql-6.3.2-4
>
> root: rpm -q postgresql-data
> postgresql-data-6.3.2-4
>
> However I can't get started with postgres as outlined in the tutorial:
>
> wuebben: psql template1
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"

Your $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf is probably telling pgsql to require a
username/password for all databases. Go to the end of this file and
change 'password' to 'trust', and then restart the postmaster. I guess
this is an error in the rpm.

> The postmaster is running:
>
> root: ps ax | grep post
>   580  p1 S    0:00 grep post
>   293  ?  S    0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
>

> Why is psql complaining ( and so are createdb and friends ) about:
> SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"  if  psql is not even
> looking in /var/lib/pg_shadow ( see strace below )? What do I need to
> do to get started?

It's not psql that is ocmplaining, it is the postmaster, so you're
stracing the wrong program...

I'll be graduating in very short notice, and I think I'l have a few spare
days after that that I can use to write something about how postgres deals
with users etc...

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Marcio Macedo
Дата:
You can also try this
As root:
    su - postgres
    createuser user_name
this will probably allow your user to create and use databases.

Maarten Boekhold wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >
> >         I have just installed the latest postgresql rpms on RedHat 5.1:
> >
> > root: rpm -q postgresql
> > postgresql-6.3.2-4
> >
> > root: rpm -q postgresql-data
> > postgresql-data-6.3.2-4
> >
> > However I can't get started with postgres as outlined in the tutorial:
> >
> > wuebben: psql template1
> > Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> > FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"
>
> Your $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf is probably telling pgsql to require a
> username/password for all databases. Go to the end of this file and
> change 'password' to 'trust', and then restart the postmaster. I guess
> this is an error in the rpm.
>
> > The postmaster is running:
> >
> > root: ps ax | grep post
> >   580  p1 S    0:00 grep post
> >   293  ?  S    0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
> >

> > Why is psql complaining ( and so are createdb and friends ) about:
> > SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"  if  psql is not even
> > looking in /var/lib/pg_shadow ( see strace below )? What do I need to
> > do to get started?
>
> It's not psql that is ocmplaining, it is the postmaster, so you're
> stracing the wrong program...
>
> I'll be graduating in very short notice, and I think I'l have a few spare
> days after that that I can use to write something about how postgres deals
> with users etc...
>
> Maarten

> | TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
> |                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
> |           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
> |                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |

--Marcio Macedo
    Conectiva

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Maarten Boekhold
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Marcio Macedo wrote:

> You can also try this
> As root:
>     su - postgres
>     createuser user_name
> this will probably allow your user to create and use databases.

Not is postgresql is configured to use password authentication. If it is
configured to do so it couldn't care less which UNIX user you are.

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Bernd Johannes Wuebben
Дата:
On 13-Aug-98 Maarten Boekhold wrote:
>> wuebben: psql template1
>> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
>> FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"
>
> Your $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf is probably telling pgsql to require a
> username/password for all databases. Go to the end of this file and
> change 'password' to 'trust', and then restart the postmaster. I guess
> this is an error in the rpm.

No, this is not the case, here are the last line of my
var/lib/pgsql/pg_hba.conf :

# By default, allow anything over UNIX domain sockets and localhost.

local        all                                         trust
host         all         127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255   trust

As you can see 'trust' is set.
Bernd

Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Bernd Johannes Wuebben
Дата:
On 13-Aug-98 Marcio Macedo wrote:
> You can also try this
> As root:
>       su - postgres
>       createuser user_name
> this will probably allow your user to create and use databases.

This doesn't work either. But that is no surprice, here is the
relevant line of my /etc/passwd :

postgres:!!:100:233:PostgreSQL Server:/var/lib/pgsql:/bin/bash

There is no password associated so I can NOT log in as postgres.

Bernd
Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Bernd Johannes Wuebben
Дата:
Seems to me that all this security nonsense has come to a point where
posgres is 100% safe but also 100% unusable ;-).

Bernd

On 13-Aug-98 Maarten Boekhold wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Marcio Macedo wrote:
>
>> You can also try this
>> As root:
>>      su - postgres
>>      createuser user_name
>> this will probably allow your user to create and use databases.
>
> Not is postgresql is configured to use password authentication. If it
> is
> configured to do so it couldn't care less which UNIX user you are.
>
> Maarten

> _____
>| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and
>| Systems  |
>|                   Department of Electrical Engineering
>|                   |
>|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section
>|           |
>|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl
>|                          |
> -----

Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

> Seems to me that all this security nonsense has come to a point where
> posgres is 100% safe but also 100% unusable ;-).
>
> Bernd

That is funny.  We do have a somewhat creeping featurism, though the
stuff has not changed much in the recent releases.  What should be
changed/added/removed?

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Bernd Johannes Wuebben
Дата:
On 13-Aug-98 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> That is funny.  We do have a somewhat creeping featurism, though the
> stuff has not changed much in the recent releases.  What should be
> changed/added/removed?

I am new to postgres and am abosultely not qualified to comment on that.
All I want at this point is to get postgres to work.:-) My previous mails
indicate the problems I am having. I did read the tuturial and much
of the other documentation that is supplied with postgres, but I can't
get started.

It might well be that the problem is trivial or just a goof up of the
rpm builder. So let's see what the problem is and how to resolve it.
Once that's achieved we can think about improving the documentation or
whatever else needs to be done ;-)

thanks,
Bernd

> --
> Bruce Momjian                          |  830 Blythe Avenue
> maillist@candle.pha.pa.us              |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
> 19026
>   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  (610) 353-9879(w)
>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  (610) 853-3000(h)

Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
JOHN COOK
Дата:
Hi,

I am fairly new to Postgres, and had some installation problems similar to
yours.  I am also using Redhat 5.0 and installed the RPMs.  Although this
may not be the ideal workaround, it worked for me.

When you ran initdb, it should have created a 'postgres' user for
you.
If you do not have the password for it, log it as 'root', then type
'passwd postgres' and enter a new password.  Log out and log back in as
postgres.  Then "createuser username".  You should be able to log out, and
log back in as the user you created, then run "psql databasename"
(provided you have already done a 'createdb databasename" as 'postgres'.
Now, this will not give you access to having full rights to create,
destroy, and edit databases.  You must grant these accesses from the
postgres account.  In any case, just using this process, you can
create a database and tables in postgres and give SELECT, INSERT, and
UPDATE access to your user by typing
--> GRANT ALL ON databasename TO username
--> \g
I did this with username 'nobody' to give my Apache server access to the
database.  The RPM for Redhat 5.0 sets up Postmaster with TCP/IP
connectivity, so you don't have to worry about it.

Hope that helps.  If it doesn't, let me know where it is failing and I
will re-walk through my own Redhat RPM install.

John Cook

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:

> On 13-Aug-98 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > That is funny.  We do have a somewhat creeping featurism, though the
> > stuff has not changed much in the recent releases.  What should be
> > changed/added/removed?
>
> I am new to postgres and am abosultely not qualified to comment on that.
> All I want at this point is to get postgres to work.:-) My previous mails
> indicate the problems I am having. I did read the tuturial and much
> of the other documentation that is supplied with postgres, but I can't
> get started.
>
> It might well be that the problem is trivial or just a goof up of the
> rpm builder. So let's see what the problem is and how to resolve it.
> Once that's achieved we can think about improving the documentation or
> whatever else needs to be done ;-)
>
> thanks,
> Bernd
>

> > --
> > Bruce Momjian                          |  830 Blythe Avenue
> > maillist@candle.pha.pa.us              |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
> > 19026
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  (610) 353-9879(w)
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  (610) 853-3000(h)

> Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
> wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
jcc2@juno.com (John C Cusick)
Дата:
This one's easy.  Log on as root, edit /etc/psswd
and remove !!

Then log on as postgres and set your password.

As for your other problem. It is an aggrivation belonging
to RedHat and not PostgreSQL. You need to check your
pam files, turn off shadow passwords or whatever your
RedHat is using for user verification and add postmaster 5432
to your /etc/services.

I never have probs with Slackware systems as a server but then
again I don't worry about secure servers :-)

RedHat is more secure, but the docs are either a little vague
or so in depth that I don't have time to read them all and for
the life of me I cannot remember what I did exactly to get
my RedHat systems working properly. ( I'm not
at those systems presently, and obviously :-)

Consider blaming RedHat if you must blame or if you are
frustrated getting it to work properly.

By the way, Bernd, are you in Ithaca, NY ?? If so, do you
know of any local user's group for Linux ??

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:22:45 -0400 (EDT) Bernd Johannes Wuebben
<wuebben@math.cornell.edu> writes:

>On 13-Aug-98 Marcio Macedo wrote:
>> You can also try this
>> As root:
>>       su - postgres
>>       createuser user_name
>> this will probably allow your user to create and use databases.
>
>This doesn't work either. But that is no surprice, here is the
>relevant line of my /etc/passwd :
>
>postgres:!!:100:233:PostgreSQL Server:/var/lib/pgsql:/bin/bash
>
>There is no password associated so I can NOT log in as postgres.
>
>Bernd
>Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
>wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Bernd Johannes Wuebben
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, John C Cusick wrote:

> Consider blaming RedHat if you must blame or if you are
> frustrated getting it to work properly.

Ok, I will give you suggestion a try.

Oh, I didn't mean to blame anyone and certainly not the postgresql
team. As I readily admitted in one of my mail, the fault might
well lie with the rpm packager which is RedHat in this case. ;-)

Then again RedHat is, whether we like it or not at least at this
point still the number 1 linux distribution. If postgresql doesn't
work out of the box on RedHat 5.1 using the RedHat 5.1 postgresql
rpms that RedHat provided, then I think the postgresql team should
know about it and react in some form or other and if it is just
a friendly mail to the RedHat people telling them how to correct
the situation.

> By the way, Bernd, are you in Ithaca, NY ?? If so, do you
> know of any local user's group for Linux ??

Yes, we do have a group here at Cornell. Why do you ask?

Bernd

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Sejin Oh
Дата:
If you don't know how to drive a car then Ferrari F40 would be 100% save but
also 100% unusable.

*Gring* :)

Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:

> Seems to me that all this security nonsense has come to a point where
> posgres is 100% safe but also 100% unusable ;-).
>
> Bernd
>
> On 13-Aug-98 Maarten Boekhold wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Marcio Macedo wrote:
> >
> >> You can also try this
> >> As root:
> >>      su - postgres
> >>      createuser user_name
> >> this will probably allow your user to create and use databases.
> >
> > Not is postgresql is configured to use password authentication. If it
> > is
> > configured to do so it couldn't care less which UNIX user you are.
> >
> > Maarten

> > _____
> >| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and
> >| Systems  |
> >|                   Department of Electrical Engineering
> >|                   |
> >|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section
> >|           |
> >|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl
> >|                          |
> > -----

> Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
> wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Bernd Johannes Wuebben
Дата:
On 14-Aug-98 Sejin Oh wrote:
> If you don't know how to drive a car then Ferrari F40 would be 100%
> save but
> also 100% unusable.
>
> *Gring* :)

Very funny -- if you claim to know how to drive a car then why don't
you tell me how to get it into gear, rather than honoring us with
your gratuitous comments.

Bernd

Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Bernd Johannes Wuebben
Дата:
Hello John,

        thanks for your suggestion,

On 13-Aug-98 JOHN COOK wrote:

> If you do not have the password for it, log it as 'root', then type
> 'passwd postgres' and enter a new password.  Log out and log back in as
> postgres.  Then "createuser username".  You should be able to log out,

root: su - postgres
[postgres@petit pgsql]$ createuser wuebben
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user "postgres" is not in "pg_shadow"
createuser: database access failed.
[postgres@petit pgsql]$

but it still doesn't work. How do I get anyone into pg_shadow?

Bernd

Bernd Johannes Wuebben                          wuebben@kde.org
wuebben@math.cornell.edu                        wuebben@acm.org

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Maarten Boekhold
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:

> On 13-Aug-98 Maarten Boekhold wrote:
> >> wuebben: psql template1
> >> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> >> FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"
> >
> > Your $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf is probably telling pgsql to require a
> > username/password for all databases. Go to the end of this file and
> > change 'password' to 'trust', and then restart the postmaster. I guess
> > this is an error in the rpm.
>
> No, this is not the case, here are the last line of my
> var/lib/pgsql/pg_hba.conf :
>
> # By default, allow anything over UNIX domain sockets and localhost.
>
> local        all                                         trust
> host         all         127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255   trust
>
> As you can see 'trust' is set.

I must have been asleep when I wrote that mail. PostgreSQL always
requires a valid username. You should be able to connect to postgres when
you're logged on as the UNIX user 'postgres' (ie. the postgresql
superuser). Then you can create other users with 'createuser', or from within
psql with 'CREATE USER'.

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Maarten Boekhold
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:

> On 13-Aug-98 Marcio Macedo wrote:
> > You can also try this
> > As root:
> >       su - postgres
> >       createuser user_name
> > this will probably allow your user to create and use databases.
>
> This doesn't work either. But that is no surprice, here is the
> relevant line of my /etc/passwd :
>
> postgres:!!:100:233:PostgreSQL Server:/var/lib/pgsql:/bin/bash
>
> There is no password associated so I can NOT log in as postgres.

Yes tou can. If you're root you can become *any* user *without* having
passwords with 'su'.

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |

Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От
Marcio Macedo
Дата:
Yow.... after this whole discussion, what was the final result  Bernd ?
did you get it?

Here is one more question that you con check if not:

look for the /var/lib/pgsql/base directory.
if it is there, search for the Template1 directory inside it.

if anyone of that exists try the folowing command as a POSTGRES user

initdb --pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql --pglib=/usr/lib

This will create a template1 database, which is a template to all
databases that you'll create after.

If all works create a new user (as postgres) with 'createuser' and a new
db with 'createdb <dbname> 'command.

I've been using redHat 5.1 with postgresql for some time, and it works
quite fine as just as in Slackware, but it really has some issues about
th rpm packages and its configuration.

Well, I hope this work. But if not... let me know ok.