Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:

От Maarten Boekhold
Тема Re: [ADMIN] FATAL 1: SetUserId:
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:

> Hello,
>
>         I have just installed the latest postgresql rpms on RedHat 5.1:
>
> root: rpm -q postgresql
> postgresql-6.3.2-4
>
> root: rpm -q postgresql-data
> postgresql-data-6.3.2-4
>
> However I can't get started with postgres as outlined in the tutorial:
>
> wuebben: psql template1
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"

Your $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf is probably telling pgsql to require a
username/password for all databases. Go to the end of this file and
change 'password' to 'trust', and then restart the postmaster. I guess
this is an error in the rpm.

> The postmaster is running:
>
> root: ps ax | grep post
>   580  p1 S    0:00 grep post
>   293  ?  S    0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
>

> Why is psql complaining ( and so are createdb and friends ) about:
> SetUserId: user "wuebben" is not in "pg_shadow"  if  psql is not even
> looking in /var/lib/pg_shadow ( see strace below )? What do I need to
> do to get started?

It's not psql that is ocmplaining, it is the postmaster, so you're
stracing the wrong program...

I'll be graduating in very short notice, and I think I'l have a few spare
days after that that I can use to write something about how postgres deals
with users etc...

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |