Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL

От Igor Neyman
Тема Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Ignatov [mailto:a.ignatov@postgrespro.ru]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:26 AM
To: Igor Neyman <ineyman@perceptron.com>; Rakesh Kumar <rakeshkumar464a3@gmail.com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL

On 28.07.2016 18:09, Igor Neyman wrote:
> [...]
Forexample, if you recently upgraded from release 11.2.0.4 to Oracle Database 12c, and you did not change the
compatibleinitialization parameter to 12.1 or higher, then you can downgrade to release 11.2.0.4."

> So, you can downgrade only if you didn't "activate" newer feature (didn't compatibility to higher version).
> But then, what's the point in upgrading (I know, there are some like bug fixes, etc...), if you aren't going to use
newerfeatures.

> Regards,
> Igor
Not true again.

 From Oracle docs
https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/UPGRD/intro.htm#UPGRD001 Section "How the COMPATIBLE Initialization Parameter
Operatesin Oracle Database"

-
If you run an Oracle Database 12c database with the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter set to 11.0.0, then it
generatesdatabase structures on disk that are compatible with Oracle Database 11g.

Therefore, the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter enables or disables the use of features. If you try to use any new
featuresthat make the database incompatible with the COMPATIBLE initialization parameter, then an error occurs.
However,any new features that do not make incompatible changes on disk are enabled.

So if feature do not change disk in incompatible way this features is enable.

Also from this
https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/REFRN/GUID-6C57EE11-BD06-4BB8-A0F7-D6CDDD086FA9.htm#REFRN10019
:

"This parameter specifies the release with which Oracle must maintain compatibility. It enables you to take advantage
ofthe maintenance improvements of a new release immediately in your production systems without testing the new
functionalityin your environment. Some features of the release may be restricted."

So this parameter is made with rollback in mind and you have some new feature from newer software release.

Alex Ignatov
Postgres Professional:http://www.postgrespro.com
The Russian Postgres Company

^^^
Which means that you can make use of some new feature, but definitely not all.
That makes "downgrade" feature very, very limited, if useful at all.

Regards,
Igor

От: Alex Ignatov
Сообщение: Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL
От: Geoff Winkless
Сообщение: Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL