Re: Allowing multiple versions of PG under NetBSD

От D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Тема Re: Allowing multiple versions of PG under NetBSD
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 15:07:53 -0400
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > The answer is either chroot or mount and run pg_upgrade on another
> > server. If you can afford the downtime you can also delete PG,
> > install the new version and run pg_upgrade without modifying the
> > existing DB. If it succeeds then replace the directories and
> > restart the new version.  If it fails then uninstall PG, reinstall
> > the older version and restart. Lather, rinse, repeat until it
> > upgrades cleanly.
>
> pg_upgrade needs to run the old and new server binaries as part of its
> operation, so that would not work.

My mistake.  I must have used the chroot idea last time I did an
upgrade.

I might take a look at the NetBSD package (I'm a developer) to see how
hard it would be to allow multiple versions.  We do keep all the lib
stuff in a separate directory so that part would be relatively simple.
We just need to find all the binaries and make the names versioned and
add a symlink to the user selected primary version to the bare version
of the binary name.  Example:
 - psql.8.3
 - psql.9.1
 - psql.9.3
 - psql ==> psql.9.3

Other than linking to the correct library can you think of any other
issues with this?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.