Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL
Дата
Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL  (Jerry Sievers <gsievers19@comcast.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 10:22:27AM -0400, Scott Mead wrote:
> That being said, it doesn't really provide a back-out plan.  The beauty of
> replication is that you can halt the upgrade at any point if need be and cut
> your (hopefully small) losses. If you use -k, you are all in.  Sure, you could
> setup a new standby, stop traffic, upgrade whichever node you'd like (using -k)
> and still have the other ready in the event of total catastrophe.  More often
> than not, I see DBAs and sysads lead the conversation with "well, postgres
> can't replicate from one version to another, so instead.... " followed by a
> fast-glazing of management's eyes and a desire to buy a 'commercial database'.

I agree, but I am not sure how to improve it.  The big complaint I have
heard is that once you upgrade and open up writes on the upgraded
server, you can't re-apply those writes to the old server if you need to
fall back to the old server.  I also don't see how to improve that either.