Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 18/01/2008, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2008 schrieb Dave Page:
> > It got figured out when someone who knew what they were looking for
> > peeked at the byte ordering in a file which for all we knew at the
> > time might have been damaged anyway
>
> What might be better is if we had an explicit endianness mark in pg_control
> rather than relying on users discovering endianness problems by seemingly
> corrupted version numbers.

Seems reasonable to me. Obviously I'd mixed up the datetime/time_t
issues I ran into previously, so having the configure options as well
would be largely useless.

That said, is zlib used by toast or do we have some other code for
that? If it is used for that, do we record it's presence or absence in
pg_control?

/D