Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> What might be better is if we had an explicit endianness mark in pg_control
> rather than relying on users discovering endianness problems by seemingly
> corrupted version numbers.

Chicken-and-egg problem there: you won't know if there's an endianness
flag to check without having tested pg_control_version.

What would work better is to add some code that checks whether
pg_control_version looks like the byte-swap of a small number,
and prints a suitably modified error message if so.

I would not previously have thought this was worth the trouble,
but given what we now know about Apple's migration process,
it might be worth another half dozen lines of code and a new
error message.

What was that about string freeze ;-) ?

Сообщение: Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Сообщение: Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine