Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Stefan Schwarzer <stefan.schwarzer@grid.unep.ch> writes:
> Ok, did what you said: stopping server, deleting "newly" created
> "data" directory, re-running initdb, starting the server, stopping the
> server.

> Renamed "empty" data directory.

> Restarting server: NOT COMPLAINING "you need to run initdb" or
> something else.... Although it's saying that it starts, nothing
> appears in the process list (ps -ef).

Hmm, you need to stop here and figure out exactly what happens.

What procedure are you using to start the server?  I assume you
are not directly typing "postmaster", but using some script,
because the bare postmaster would certainly not act that way.
I guess that either the script silently runs initdb for you
(which is generally thought a bad idea nowadays) or that it
is redirecting the postmaster's log output someplace that you're
not looking.  Anyway, don't go past this step until you understand
what you're seeing.