Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

От Stefan Schwarzer
Тема Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>> Ok, it seems to be related to a Intel/PPC issue, as Martijn and Tom
>> suggested.
>>
>> So, I copied all files to a PPC, but which runs Linux - don't know if
>> this is important. Now, it tells me:
>>
>> "Fatal error: Incorrect checksum on control file"
>>
>> Any way out of this? Thanks for any advice.
>
> That's the kind of error I'd expect to see if you try to start an
> Intel data directory on PPC or vice-versa. You said earlier this was
> data from your Intel Mac being reloaded on the same Intel Mac. If
> thats the case, put the PPC away before you confuse yourself :-)
>
> As for the real problem (on the same hardware), when you rebuilt
> Postgres on your new machine did you change any of the configure
> options that MacPorts would have used from what would have been used
> previously (I assume they can be overridden)? I don't know if you'd
> see exactly the same symptoms you have, but changing settings like
> integer datetimes will break things in a similar way.

Here is some input from Martijn:

Well, it's clearly byte-swapped. So whatever the database was running
on it was on a PPC or some other big-endian machine.

The give away is that bytes 16&17 are "20 00" rather than "00
20".  You can check a file with:

$  od -t x1 -j 16 -N 2 < filename
0000020 00 20
0000022

That's for Intel, on the file you sent me it's:
0000020 20 00
0000022

I don't understand it either, which is why I was wondering if it was
running under some PPC emulation (can you run standard mac software or
do you have to get special Intel versions).

I have no idea how my old postgres config was. I've contacted already
william@kyngchaos to see if he still has the old .dmgs, which is I
think what I used to install postgres with.

Gush, gush, gush....