Обсуждение: initdb createuser commands

initdb createuser commands

От
Samuel Williams
Дата:
Hello,

Perhaps I'm missing something.

However, it seems to me that there are several "generically" named
commands, e.g. initdb, createuesr which come as part of postgresql. In
my mind, these commands are sufficiently generic that they might clash
with other commands. It's also not obvious they are part of
postgresql.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make them subcommand, of, say, a top
level pga (postgres admin) command, a bit like how `mysqladmin` works?

Just wondering as the naming of these commands seems overly generic
and for a new user it's hard to know what commands are available since
there is no common prefix (e.g. pg_<tab>) for these commands.

Thanks
Samuel

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/28/2016 4:31 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> Just wondering as the naming of these commands seems overly generic
> and for a new user it's hard to know what commands are available since
> there is no common prefix (e.g. pg_<tab>) for these commands.

as these commands have been around for like 20 years, its kinda late to
change them

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/28/2016 04:31 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something.
>
> However, it seems to me that there are several "generically" named
> commands, e.g. initdb, createuesr which come as part of postgresql. In
> my mind, these commands are sufficiently generic that they might clash
> with other commands. It's also not obvious they are part of
> postgresql.

See here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/reference-client.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/reference-server.html

> Wouldn't it make more sense to make them subcommand, of, say, a top
> level pga (postgres admin) command, a bit like how `mysqladmin` works?
>
> Just wondering as the naming of these commands seems overly generic
> and for a new user it's hard to know what commands are available since
> there is no common prefix (e.g. pg_<tab>) for these commands.

Other then initdb the commands(AFAIK) that do not have pg or postgres in
the name are just wrappers around the SQL commands of the same
name(roughly) eg dropdb = DROP DATABASE.

initdb is now accessible from pg_ctl:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/app-pg-ctl.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
Samuel Williams
Дата:
> as these commands have been around for like 20 years, its kinda late to change them

I understand your position.

For new documentation, it should be better to say `pg_ctl init` rather
than `initdb`. I think that would guide users in the right direction
from the start. Even if maintaining the old commands, they could print
out to stderr "This command is deprecated and now wraps `pg_ctl init`.
Please use that command in the future".

> initdb is now accessible from pg_ctl:

Thanks Adrian, that's really helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

Should we update the Arch Linux documentation to prefer these
commands? What is the recommendation here?

On 29 October 2016 at 12:39, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 10/28/2016 4:31 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
>>
>> Just wondering as the naming of these commands seems overly generic
>> and for a new user it's hard to know what commands are available since
>> there is no common prefix (e.g. pg_<tab>) for these commands.
>

> as these commands have been around for like 20 years, its kinda late to
> change them
>

> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/28/2016 04:55 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
>> as these commands have been around for like 20 years, its kinda late to change them
>
> I understand your position.
>
> For new documentation, it should be better to say `pg_ctl init` rather
> than `initdb`. I think that would guide users in the right direction
> from the start. Even if maintaining the old commands, they could print
> out to stderr "This command is deprecated and now wraps `pg_ctl init`.
> Please use that command in the future".

It does:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/creating-cluster.html

>> initdb is now accessible from pg_ctl:
>
> Thanks Adrian, that's really helpful and exactly what I was looking for.
>
> Should we update the Arch Linux documentation to prefer these
> commands? What is the recommendation here?

Given that pg_ctl initdb is in all current community supported versions
I would say that is alright. Probably better to just point folks at the
Postgres docs, a great deal of effort is done to keep them current. Also
you have the version selection at the top of each page that allows you
to walk back and forth through time.

> On 29 October 2016 at 12:39, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
>> On 10/28/2016 4:31 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
>>>
>>> Just wondering as the naming of these commands seems overly generic
>>> and for a new user it's hard to know what commands are available since
>>> there is no common prefix (e.g. pg_<tab>) for these commands.
>>

>> as these commands have been around for like 20 years, its kinda late to
>> change them
>>

>> --
>> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz
>>

>> --

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/28/2016 4:55 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> Even if maintaining the old commands, they could print
> out to stderr "This command is deprecated and now wraps `pg_ctl init`.
> Please use that command in the future".

except its the other way around.   pg_ctl initdb invokes initdb, not the
other way around.

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
Samuel Williams
Дата:
(For some reason the first time I sent this message it was blocked due
to the keyword "sub-". So, I've changed that and am re-sending.)

I think there is an opportunity here to make the experience for new
users better.

Firstly, I think having one or two top level commands, perhaps pga
[postgres admin], and pg [postgres client], with well documented
subcommands. Ideally `man pg` would tell you all the client commands
and `man pga` would tell you all the server commands. It could even be
implemented in the same way git is implemented with subcommands (e.g.
git foo maps to git-foo internally).

When I see a bare command like `initdb` I wonder where that comes
from, how it relates to postgres and it also concerns me that it
doesn't seem to be obviously part of postgres. The same, when I saw
`createuser` I wondered if that was a postgres command, or an OS level
user creation command, or something else. It's one more thing that I
have to look up.

This is a cognitive load during the time when a new user is already
struggling to come to grips with all the other facets of the system. 7
+/- 2.

It's hard for a new user to know what commands are available because
the naming of commands doesn't follow any consistent structure. I
can't type pg<tab> and see something. In contrast `mysqladmin` has a
really good summary (similar to pg_ctl). Additionally, I'd gently
suggest that underscore in commonly used commands can be a pain for
certain keyboard layouts, even for me I have to use the shift key to
get type the command. `pgctl` would be easier to type.

While this may seem really trivial, to a new user it's not a great
experience out of the box.

I think these things could be really easy to improve (low hanging
fruit) and make the experience a lot better. Given how awesome
postgres is in other areas, it's disappointing that the command line
tools don't reflect the same level of engineering and thoughtfulness.

On 29 October 2016 at 16:36, Samuel Williams
<space.ship.traveller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think there is an opportunity here to make the experience for new
> users better.
>
> Firstly, I think having one or two top level commands, perhaps pga
> [postgres admin], and pg [postgres client], with well documented
> sub-commands. Ideally `man pg` would tell you all the client commands
> and `man pga` would tell you all the server commands. It could even be
> implemented in the same way git is implemented with sub-commands (e.g.
> git foo maps to git-foo internally).
>
> When I see a bare command like `initdb` I wonder where that comes
> from, how it relates to postgres and it also concerns me that it
> doesn't seem to be obviously part of postgres. The same, when I saw
> `createuser` I wondered if that was a postgres command, or an OS level
> user creation command, or something else. It's one more thing that I
> have to look up.
>
> This is a cognitive load during the time when a new user is already
> struggling to come to grips with all the other facets of the system. 7
> +/- 2.
>
> It's hard for a new user to know what commands are available because
> the naming of commands doesn't follow any consistent structure. I
> can't type pg<tab> and see something. In contrast `mysqladmin` has a
> really good summary (similar to pg_ctl). Additionally, I'd gently
> suggest that underscore in commonly used commands can be a pain for
> certain keyboard layouts, even for me I have to use the shift key to
> get type the command. `pgctl` would be easier to type.
>
> While this may seem really trivial, to a new user it's not a great
> experience out of the box.
>
> I think these things could be really easy to improve (low hanging
> fruit) and make the experience a lot better. Given how awesome
> postgres is in other areas, it's disappointing that the command line
> tools don't reflect the same level of engineering and thoughtfulness.
>

> On 29 October 2016 at 13:46, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
>> On 10/28/2016 4:55 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
>>>
>>> Even if maintaining the old commands, they could print
>>> out to stderr "This command is deprecated and now wraps `pg_ctl init`.
>>> Please use that command in the future".
>>

>> except its the other way around.   pg_ctl initdb invokes initdb, not the
>> other way around.
>>

>> --
>> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz
>>

>> --

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/29/2016 03:31 AM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> [...]
>> [postgres admin], and pg [postgres client], with well documented
>> sub-commands. Ideally `man pg` would tell you all the client commands
>> and `man pga` would tell you all the server commands. It could even be
>> implemented in the same way git is implemented with sub-commands (e.g.
>> git foo maps to git-foo internally).
>>
>> When I see a bare command like `initdb` I wonder where that comes
>> from, how it relates to postgres and it also concerns me that it
>> doesn't seem to be obviously part of postgres. The same, when I saw
>> `createuser` I wondered if that was a postgres command, or an OS level
>> user creation command, or something else. It's one more thing that I
>> have to look up.
>>
>> This is a cognitive load during the time when a new user is already
>> struggling to come to grips with all the other facets of the system. 7

These are the commands a new user will need:

pg_ctl
psql
pg_dump
pg_dumpall
pg_restore

>> It's hard for a new user to know what commands are available because
>> the naming of commands doesn't follow any consistent structure. I
>> can't type pg<tab> and see something. In contrast `mysqladmin` has a
>> really good summary (similar to pg_ctl). Additionally, I'd gently
>> suggest that underscore in commonly used commands can be a pain for
>> certain keyboard layouts, even for me I have to use the shift key to
>> get type the command. `pgctl` would be easier to type.
>>
>> While this may seem really trivial, to a new user it's not a great
>> experience out of the box.
>>
>> I think these things could be really easy to improve (low hanging
>> fruit) and make the experience a lot better. Given how awesome
>> postgres is in other areas, it's disappointing that the command line
>> tools don't reflect the same level of engineering and thoughtfulness.

>>> except its the other way around.   pg_ctl initdb invokes initdb, not the
>>> other way around.
>>>

>>> --
>>> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz
>>>

>>> --

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
Samuel Williams
Дата:
I think there is an opportunity here to make the experience for new
users better.

Firstly, I think having one or two top level commands, perhaps pga
[postgres admin], and pg [postgres client], with well documented
sub-commands. Ideally `man pg` would tell you all the client commands
and `man pga` would tell you all the server commands. It could even be
implemented in the same way git is implemented with sub-commands (e.g.
git foo maps to git-foo internally).

When I see a bare command like `initdb` I wonder where that comes
from, how it relates to postgres and it also concerns me that it
doesn't seem to be obviously part of postgres. The same, when I saw
`createuser` I wondered if that was a postgres command, or an OS level
user creation command, or something else. It's one more thing that I
have to look up.

This is a cognitive load during the time when a new user is already
struggling to come to grips with all the other facets of the system. 7
+/- 2.

It's hard for a new user to know what commands are available because
the naming of commands doesn't follow any consistent structure. I
can't type pg<tab> and see something. In contrast `mysqladmin` has a
really good summary (similar to pg_ctl). Additionally, I'd gently
suggest that underscore in commonly used commands can be a pain for
certain keyboard layouts, even for me I have to use the shift key to
get type the command. `pgctl` would be easier to type.

While this may seem really trivial, to a new user it's not a great
experience out of the box.

I think these things could be really easy to improve (low hanging
fruit) and make the experience a lot better. Given how awesome
postgres is in other areas, it's disappointing that the command line
tools don't reflect the same level of engineering and thoughtfulness.

On 29 October 2016 at 13:46, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 10/28/2016 4:55 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
>>
>> Even if maintaining the old commands, they could print
>> out to stderr "This command is deprecated and now wraps `pg_ctl init`.
>> Please use that command in the future".
>

> except its the other way around.   pg_ctl initdb invokes initdb, not the
> other way around.
>

> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
Samuel Williams
Дата:
FYI, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PostgreSQL mentions initdb,
createuser, createdb and several others. I think my suggestion is
still relevant and something that would improve the system for new
users :)

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 10/29/2016 03:02 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> FYI, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PostgreSQL mentions initdb,
> createuser, createdb and several others. I think my suggestion is
> still relevant and something that would improve the system for new
> users :)

Seems to me the solution would be to change the above docs to reflect a
simpler procedure. In other words:

[postgres]$ initdb --locale $LANG -E UTF8 -D '/var/lib/postgres/data'

becomes

[postgres]$ pg_ctl initdb -D '/var/lib/postgres/data' -o '--locale $LANG
-E UTF8 '

Remove 'Create your first database/user' and incorporate that into
'Access the database shell' where the database you connect to is
postgres instead of myDatabaseName and you create the user and database
using SQL commands.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/29/2016 3:02 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> FYI,https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PostgreSQL  mentions initdb,
> createuser, createdb and several others. I think my suggestion is
> still relevant and something that would improve the system for new
> users

and it would break it for the existing community that has up to 20 years
of experience with it, as well as breaking virtually all existing
documentation, books, howto articles, etc, including the one you linked.

Re: initdb createuser commands

От
Melvin Davidson