Re: initdb createuser commands

От Melvin Davidson
Тема Re: initdb createuser commands
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
On 10/29/2016 3:02 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
FYI,https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PostgreSQL  mentions initdb,
createuser, createdb and several others. I think my suggestion is
still relevant and something that would improve the system for new
users

and it would break it for the existing community that has up to 20 years of experience with it, as well as breaking virtually all existing documentation, books, howto articles, etc, including the one you linked.

I'd like to put my two cents in at this point.
IMHO, the whole concept of renaming commands "to make it easier for beginners to learn" is ludicrous.
If we rename a saw to woodcutter, or drill to holemaker, it would do nothing to make someone learn carpentry easier. Likewise, renaming commands would not make it easier to learn PostgreSQL. If someone truly wants to learn to be a PostgreSQL  DBA, there are many fine books already in existence that guide them step by step how to do so. In addition, as others have already pointed out, the PostgreSQL  documentation  clearly describes how to use all commands in question and renaming  (or prefixing )them would do little to add to that. In fact, I'm pretty sure, existing DBA's like myself would be quite upset if commands were arbitrarily renamed.
So as a wise man once said, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

--
Melvin Davidson

Сообщение: Re: initdb createuser commands
Сообщение: Re: initdb createuser commands