Re: initdb createuser commands

От Samuel Williams
Тема Re: initdb createuser commands
Дата
Re: initdb createuser commands  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
Список pgsql-general
> as these commands have been around for like 20 years, its kinda late to change them

I understand your position.

For new documentation, it should be better to say `pg_ctl init` rather
than `initdb`. I think that would guide users in the right direction
from the start. Even if maintaining the old commands, they could print
out to stderr "This command is deprecated and now wraps `pg_ctl init`.
Please use that command in the future".

> initdb is now accessible from pg_ctl:

Thanks Adrian, that's really helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

Should we update the Arch Linux documentation to prefer these
commands? What is the recommendation here?