Re: initdb createuser commands

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: initdb createuser commands
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/30/2016 12:15 AM, Samuel Williams wrote:
> Adrian, I like the idea of teaching the appropriate SQL to achieve the
> same thing. It makes a lot of sense, it's a pity the majority of
> documentation doesn't do this.
>
> John, if you read my earlier email you'd see that I proposed including
> deprecation notices and aliasing the commands. I appreciate the need
> for existing documentation to continue being relevant.
>
> Melvin, I think you are blowing things out of proportion. I didn't
> propose to rename the commands entirely such as "createuser" to
> "prepareaccount". But, I think having "pg_createuser" or, preferrably,
> "pg createuser". It's tidier, respectful of a limited global namespace
> of command names, and potentially easier for everyone.
>
> Gavin, I appreciate this is a low priority. But I think it's also
> really easy to do by someone who is experienced. Perhaps a day or two
> of work? So, it's low priority but also not that difficult and it's an
> opportunity to improve the command line experience in a very
> fundamental way for new users and experienced users alike.
>
> In my mind, making Postgresql approachable by new users should be a
> high priority.

A given the number of new users I see showing up and the number of those
using a GUI like pgAdmin I am not seeing the priority.

What it comes down to is adapting to your environment. In my day job I
work in a variety of different disciplines(plumbing, electrical,
equipment control, landscaping and so on) and I run into this context
shift all the time. In a perfect world everyone would agree on a common
way of doing things. This is not a perfect world so I have to adapt when
I move from one field to another and even within a field when dealing
with different people. I used to fight this, and still do when provoked,
but at some time point I realized I generally expended less energy just
learning 'the  way' and getting on with my job. Not to say you do not
have some valid points, but you are pushing against something that has
significant inertia.

> This is really just my 2c, I'd be happy to submit a PR but can you
> confirm intention to work on it to acceptance? Otherwise I'm just
> wasting everyone's time including my own :)

I do not see anyone pre-approving a PR that they have not seen.