Re: initdb createuser commands

От Samuel Williams
Тема Re: initdb createuser commands
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mike, I agree with "the postgres way of doing things". I'm suggesting that

>  these commands are sufficiently generic that they might clash
with other commands.

> It's also not obvious they are part of postgresql.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to make them subcommand, of, say, a top
level pga (postgres admin) command, a bit like how `mysqladmin` works

and finally

> the naming of these commands seems overly generic
and for a new user it's hard to know what commands are available since
there is no common prefix (e.g. pg_<tab>) for these commands

Just because things are working how they currently are doesn't mean
they can't be improved.

> If someone isn’t skilled in sql, the requests you’ve made won’t assist them at all.

This isn't just about someone who is or isn't skilled. I work with
MySQL, CouchDB, Redis, and various other technologies. Out of those
three, I'd say that Postgres has the worst and most inconsistently
named command line tools. It's a large overhead for day to day
operation to deal with inconsistency at any level.

It's not a particularly hard problem to fix and thus I think it's
worthy of some attention.

От: "Mike Sofen"
Сообщение: Re: initdb createuser commands
От: Samuel Williams
Сообщение: Re: initdb createuser commands