Re: initdb createuser commands

От Samuel Williams
Тема Re: initdb createuser commands
Дата
Список pgsql-general
(For some reason the first time I sent this message it was blocked due
to the keyword "sub-". So, I've changed that and am re-sending.)

I think there is an opportunity here to make the experience for new
users better.

Firstly, I think having one or two top level commands, perhaps pga
[postgres admin], and pg [postgres client], with well documented
subcommands. Ideally `man pg` would tell you all the client commands
and `man pga` would tell you all the server commands. It could even be
implemented in the same way git is implemented with subcommands (e.g.
git foo maps to git-foo internally).

When I see a bare command like `initdb` I wonder where that comes
from, how it relates to postgres and it also concerns me that it
doesn't seem to be obviously part of postgres. The same, when I saw
`createuser` I wondered if that was a postgres command, or an OS level
user creation command, or something else. It's one more thing that I
have to look up.

This is a cognitive load during the time when a new user is already
struggling to come to grips with all the other facets of the system. 7
+/- 2.

It's hard for a new user to know what commands are available because
the naming of commands doesn't follow any consistent structure. I
can't type pg<tab> and see something. In contrast `mysqladmin` has a
really good summary (similar to pg_ctl). Additionally, I'd gently
suggest that underscore in commonly used commands can be a pain for
certain keyboard layouts, even for me I have to use the shift key to
get type the command. `pgctl` would be easier to type.

While this may seem really trivial, to a new user it's not a great
experience out of the box.

I think these things could be really easy to improve (low hanging
fruit) and make the experience a lot better. Given how awesome
postgres is in other areas, it's disappointing that the command line
tools don't reflect the same level of engineering and thoughtfulness.