Обсуждение: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
Hi,

Nobody replied to my previous mail with this question, but spammers are
getting better.

It seems to me we could reject mail that is destined to the list if it's
from the list address.  No?

Andrew Sullivan
Old sigs will return after re-constitution of blue smoke

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 14:57 -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Nobody replied to my previous mail with this question, but spammers are
> getting better.
>
> It seems to me we could reject mail that is destined to the list if it's
> from the list address.  No?

Only Marc can do anything about that.

In general, I'd say the postgresql.org mailservers shouldn't accept any
mail (unauthenticated) that's from an @postgresql.org address. But IIRC
someone was still relaying unauthenticated mail through there the last
time I proposed that :-)

Not sure if the integration with the hub.org MXen might be causing
issues here - we certainly wouldn't want those to be affected if we
restrict things...

//Magnus

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> In general, I'd say the postgresql.org mailservers shouldn't accept any
> mail (unauthenticated) that's from an @postgresql.org address. But IIRC
> someone was still relaying unauthenticated mail through there the last
> time I proposed that :-)

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  In your enhanced world, if I send
an email from alvherre@postgresql.org to a pg list and relay it through
a Command Prompt server, will it bounce?

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Now I have my system running, not a byte was off the shelf;

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 16:35 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > In general, I'd say the postgresql.org mailservers shouldn't accept any
> > mail (unauthenticated) that's from an @postgresql.org address. But IIRC
> > someone was still relaying unauthenticated mail through there the last
> > time I proposed that :-)
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying here.  In your enhanced world, if I send
> an email from alvherre@postgresql.org to a pg list and relay it through
> a Command Prompt server, will it bounce?

Yes. Unless the commandprompt server is configured to use SMTP AUTH
(which in the case of cmd could be an exception, but it can't be the
rule of course)

And yes, I'm aware that quite a number of people won't like that, but
doing similar things cuts a *lot* of spam at other sites I manage.

Anyway. Cutting mail from the list address to the list address will also
help, and it's certainly a good thing to do if we can't "go all the
way".

//Magnus

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:

Like I said, I'm aware that a lot of people don't like the idea :-)

> > And yes, I'm aware that quite a number of people won't like that, but
> > doing similar things cuts a *lot* of spam at other sites I manage.
> >

> Well I would prefer to see a trigger that checks the recipient against
> known users and aliases. If it doesn't match it is immediately bounced
> and we never see it.

Uh, what? You'd need to check the *sender*, not the recipient? At least
that's where this thread started...
But yeah, that would also work, as long as there is a good way to
maintain that list. Shouldn't be too hard to do, but I'm unsure how it
would interface with the hub.org mail infrastructure. Marc?

That said, I still think we should check the recipient of the email on
all MXes, but that's a completely different thing that has also been
discussed before. (We do check them on the listserver)

//Magnus

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 16:35 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >
> > > In general, I'd say the postgresql.org mailservers shouldn't accept any
> > > mail (unauthenticated) that's from an @postgresql.org address. But IIRC
> > > someone was still relaying unauthenticated mail through there the last
> > > time I proposed that :-)
> >
> > I'm not sure what you're saying here.  In your enhanced world, if I send
> > an email from alvherre@postgresql.org to a pg list and relay it through
> > a Command Prompt server, will it bounce?
>
> Yes.

Hmm.  I'm trying to figure out if I can configure my MTA to relay mail
delivered by alvherre@postgresql.org using a different server than any
other email.

(I think it's rather trivial to do with GUI email clients.  Just set
your "identity" to point to the other SMTP server.)

If that can be made to work, then what we need is to set up SMTP AUTH in
a postgresql.org server.  Is that workable?  (Do we already have SMTP
AUTH somewhere?)

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
Syntax error: function hell() needs an argument.

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

Дата:
>  * If you are not subscribed it never makes it to the moderator.

I don't think that's acceptable at all --- we'd be pretty much closing
ourselves off from the outside world.  It's particularly not acceptable
for pgsql-bugs.

>  * If you send email to an invalid user/alias multiple times within a
> particular threshold your ip is banned automatically for 30 days

That might be a good idea, though my own experience is that the spambot
hordes are now large enough that they can avoid spamming you very often
from the same IP.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:30:54 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> >  * If you are not subscribed it never makes it to the moderator.
>
> I don't think that's acceptable at all --- we'd be pretty much closing
> ourselves off from the outside world.  It's particularly not
> acceptable for pgsql-bugs.

O.k. then :)... how about a confirmation system. E.g;

I unknown user send bug report
I email system say thank you, a confirmation of your report has been
sent to your email with next steps
If (unknown user responds in kind to confirmation email); THENpost
ELSIF (after 7 days); DELETE

No moderation required.

> >  * If you send email to an invalid user/alias multiple times within
> > a particular threshold your ip is banned automatically for 30 days
>
> That might be a good idea, though my own experience is that the
> spambot hordes are now large enough that they can avoid spamming you
> very often from the same IP.

25% reduction is 25% reduction :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the
> postmaster

- --
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 16:51 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Uh, what? You'd need to check the *sender*, not the recipient? At least
> > that's where this thread started...
> > But yeah, that would also work, as long as there is a good way to
> > maintain that list. Shouldn't be too hard to do, but I'm unsure how it
> > would interface with the hub.org mail infrastructure. Marc?
>
> You've lost me here ... how would wnat interface?  This is all done internal to
> Majordomo2 ... nothing to do with the mail system itself ...

Andrew specifically asked if we could have these mails bounced *before*
they reached Majordomo. That's where it started. He only asked for
bouncing email that pretended to be from the list itself, though, which
is a lot less (and easier/safer to do) than what was suggested by both
me and JD. Perhaps Andrews suggestion can be implemented?

> > That said, I still think we should check the recipient of the email on
> > all MXes, but that's a completely different thing that has also been
> > discussed before. (We do check them on the listserver)
>
> We've been checking recipient on all MXs since it was discussed last time
> *scratch head*  Or am I missing something ... ?

Oh. I must have missed that information. If we do that now, that's
great! :-)

//Magnus

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 17:08 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >> You've lost me here ... how would wnat interface?  This is all done internal
> >> to  Majordomo2 ... nothing to do with the mail system itself ...
> >
> > Andrew specifically asked if we could have these mails bounced *before*
> > they reached Majordomo. That's where it started. He only asked for
> > bouncing email that pretended to be from the list itself, though, which
> > is a lot less (and easier/safer to do) than what was suggested by both
> > me and JD. Perhaps Andrews suggestion can be implemented?
>
> Actually, I think Andrew was specifically look at not getting this in the
> moderator queue, which is somethign that Majordomo2 can be configured to do ...

Right, I don't think he cares how it's done, as long as he doesn't see
it :-)

> we'd just need to add something like:
>
> post
> reject
> /$LIST/i
>
> to access_rules ... which would reject any messages coming from the list its
> being sent to ... we'd have to do something a bit more involved if we wanted to
> reject from any list, ie something like:
>
> post
> reject
> /pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/i OR /pgsql-general@postgresql.org/i
>
> and Andrew will never see those posts ...

Sounds like a good thing to do. I don't see anyway that it'd break any
legitimate mail.

> > Oh. I must have missed that information. If we do that now, that's
> > great! :-)
>
> *scratch head* weren't you the one that had asked for it? :)

Yup, I was. It was still on my list of things I didn't think were
fixed :-)

//Magnus

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus,

> Yes. Unless the commandprompt server is configured to use SMTP AUTH
> (which in the case of cmd could be an exception, but it can't be the
> rule of course)

How can you tell if a server uses SMTP AUTH?  I relay my mail through
authsmtp.com when I'm on the road.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus