Обсуждение: Replication documentation addition

Replication documentation addition

Дата:
Here is a new replication documentation section I want to add for 8.2:

    ftp://momjian.us/pub/postgresql/mypatches/replication

Comments welcomed.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: [DOCS] Replication documentation addition

От
Markus Schiltknecht
Дата:
Hello Bruce,

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here is a new replication documentation section I want to add for 8.2:
>
>     ftp://momjian.us/pub/postgresql/mypatches/replication
>
> Comments welcomed.

Thank you, that sounds good. It's targeted to production use and
currently available solutions, which makes sense in the official manual.

You are explaining the sync vs. async categorization, but I sort of
asked myself where the explanation of single vs multi-master has gone. I
then realized, that you are talking about read-only and a "read/write
mix of servers". Then again, you are mentioning 'Multi-Master
Replication' as one type of replication solutions. I think we should be
consistent in our naming. As Single- and Multi-Master are the more
common terms among database replication experts, I'd recommend to use
them and explain what they mean instead of introducing new names.

Along with that, I'd argue that this Single- or Multi-Master is a
categorization as Sync vs Async. In that sense, the last chapter should
probably be named 'Distributed-Shared-Memory Replication' or something
like that instead of 'Multi-Master Replication', because as we know,
there are several ways of doing Multi-Master Replication (Slony-II /
Postgres-R, Distributed Shared Memory, 2PC in application code or the
above mentioned 'Query Broadcast Replication', which would fall into a
Multi-Master Replication model as well)

Also in the last chapter, instead of just saying that "PostgreSQL does
not offer this type of replication", we could probably say that
different projects are trying to come up with better replication
solutions. And there are several proprietary products based on
PostgreSQL which do solve some kinds of Multi-Master Replication. Not
that I want to advertise for any of them, but it just sounds better than
the current "no, we don't offer that".

As this documentation mainly covers production-quality solutions (which
is absolutely perfect), can we document the status of current projects
somewhere, probably in a wiki? Or at least mention them somewhere and
point to their websites? It would help to get rid of all those rumors
and uncertainties. Or are those intentional?

Just my two cents.

Regards

Markus

Re: Replication documentation addition

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2006-10-24 kell 00:20, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> Here is a new replication documentation section I want to add for 8.2:
>
>     ftp://momjian.us/pub/postgresql/mypatches/replication

This is how data partitioning is currently described there

> Data Partitioning
> -----------------
>
> Data partitioning splits the database into data sets.  To achieve
> replication, each data set can only be modified by one server.  For
> example, data can be partitioned by offices, e.g. London and Paris.
> While London and Paris servers have all data records, only London can
> modify London records, and Paris can only modify Paris records.  Such
> partitioning is usually accomplished in application code, though rules
> and triggers can help enforce partitioning and keep the read-only data
> sets current.  Slony can also be used in such a setup.  While Slony
> replicates only entire tables, London and Paris can be placed in
> separate tables, and inheritance can be used to access from both tables
> using a single table name.

Maybe another use of partitioning should also be mentioned. That is ,
when partitioning is used to overcome limitations of single servers
(especially IO and memory, but also CPU), and only a subset of data is
stored and processed on each server.

As an example of this type of partitioning you could mention Bizgres MPP
(a PG-based commercial product, http://www.greenplum.com ), which
partitions data to use I/O and CPU of several DB servers for processing
complex OLAP queries, and Pl_Proxy
( http://pgfoundry.org/projects/plproxy/ ) which does the same for OLTP
loads.

I think the "official" term for this kind of "replication" is
Shared-Nothing Clustering.

--
----------------
Hannu Krosing

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com

Re: Replication documentation addition

От
Markus Schiltknecht
Дата:
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> I think the "official" term for this kind of "replication" is
> Shared-Nothing Clustering.

Well, that's just another distinction for clusters. Most of the time
it's between Shared-Disk vs. Shared-Nothing. You could also see the very
Big Irons as a Shared-Everything Cluster.

While it's certainly true, that any kind of data partitioning for
databases only make sense for Shared-Nothing Clusters, I don't think
it's a 'kind of replication'. AFAIK most database replication solutions
are built for Shared-Nothing Clusters. (With the exception of
PgCluster-II, I think).

Regards

Markus

Re: [DOCS] Replication documentation addition

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 00:20 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Here is a new replication documentation section I want to add for 8.2:
>
>     ftp://momjian.us/pub/postgresql/mypatches/replication
>
> Comments welcomed.

It's a very good start to a complete minefield of competing solutions.

My first thought would be to differentiate between clustering and
replication, which will bring out many differences.

My second thought would be to differentiate between load balancing,
multi-threading, parallel query, high availability and recoverability,
which would probably sort out the true differences in the above mix. But
that wouldn't help most people and almost everybody would find fault.

IMHO most people I've spoken to take "replication" to mean an HA
solution, so perhaps we should cover it in those terms.

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: Replication documentation addition

Дата:
OK, I have updated the URL.  Please let me know how you like it.

"Luke Lonergan"