Re: [DOCS] Replication documentation addition

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [DOCS] Replication documentation addition
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>>> I thought that was implied in the early paragraph about why there are
>>> many solutions.
>> I think we should explicitely spell it out, especially considering how
>> many times people ask about it. How about...
>>
>>  This multitude of choices is why PostgreSQL does not ship with a
>>  replication solution by default; any bundled solution would only
>>  satisfy a subset of replication needs.
>
> The problem is that we do have some solutions in our code, like doing
> data partitioning in the application, warm standby, or using a shared
> disk for failover, so how do we spell that out?  I say there are
> multiple solutions, but I don't see how I can say that all are external
> and not included.

None of those are replication solutions. So I would have to agree with
Jim here.

This isn't about what people do with their app, so that is not relevant.

Warm standby is PITR which is a backup and recovery solution. It does
not include a failover solution and is *not* replication. It technically
does not provide an HA solution either as it will be almost always
farther behind than a replication solution.

Shared disk for failover could be used by anything it isn't special to a
replication scenario it is standard for many HA.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Replication documentation addition
Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Replication documentation addition