Обсуждение: Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Other then that we won *woo hoo!!* ...
> what ever did happen? *raised eyebrow*

OK, I was sort of waiting for an update to be posted on the LinuxWorld
site, but I still don't see anything, so you'll have to take my word
for it ;)

Here's the full story:

I hadn't heard *anything* from the expo organizers prior to departing
for San Jose on Wednesday morning, so was a bit leary of my reception
upon showing up cold. After an hour to get my rental car (seems some
convention had taken up most of the available ones...), and another 20
minutes to drive to the San Jose convention center, it took a couple
of minutes of talking, armed with a printout of our invitation, to get
onto the exhibit floor without paying money (needless to say, I hate
parting with a dollar, and hey, we *were* invited ;)

Anyway, I got there after 11am, and the awards ceremony was taking
place at noon according to our invitation. But since it was a
LinuxWorld magazine event, and taking place on the show floor, it
wasn't actually listed in the LinuxWorld Expo program and my strategy
of random questioning wasn't getting me closer. Thankfully they
started announcing it over the PA by around 11:30, so I found the
location pretty easily after that.

It would have been easier to find, but there were quite a few
exhibits, including a large one from Oracle (oh oh, no way we're going
to win this one, eh?...). It was great seeing a lot of the companies
in the Linux/OpenSource market actually acting like real companies
with booths, "demo girls", the whole schmear. FreeBSD had a large
booth full of t-shirts, coffee mugs, and CDs; apparently they have a
strong Bay area contingent.

When I got the the awards area, they were quite nice, and apologized
for not responding. Apparently their e-mail wasn't actually working
during the week before the show. Funny, I forgot to ask what system
they actually were running, but assume that it was some M$ corporate
garbage. They were using PowerPoint btw for projecting during the
awards. Should have given them a hard time about it...

The awards ceremony was pretty low key. The magazine editor (sorry, I
don't remember names) presented the awards for "Show Favorites" first.
These were ones voted on by people actually at the show. Debian
cleaned up a bunch of awards, btw. Then they got to the "Editor's
Choice" awards. The Database category was pretty far down the list,
but it was only 10-15 minutes before they got to us. They'd been
presenting the "Finalist" trophy first, and the "Winner" trophy after
that, and I was pretty amazed that they called Oracle before
PostgreSQL! Just walked up to the front, got my picture taken with the
presenter and the trophy, and that was it! But later, while I was
getting a box for the trophy, I talked with the editor a bit and he
volunteered that his DB editor was a Postgres fan, and that he was
starting to use it too. Did I mention that the guidelines for the
awards judging included criteria on how much the candidate had
contributed to the OpenSource movement? So maybe our win over Oracle
shouldn't suprise us too much, but it still felt great. Not every day
that you get to kick Oracle's butt up and down the street ;)

So, we've got a nice trophy, consisting of a curved piece of glass
with our project name (and Marc F's name; note to us: we should
probably ask them to put "Postgres Development Group" on it next time)
etched in. Looks nice. Supposedly they were going to post pictures on
their web site, but I haven't found them yet.

What should I do with the trophy? Send it straight to Marc, or should
it travel a more indirect route, perhaps passing through Pennsylvania
and other places first? The box seems fairly sturdy, and if I put it
into a bigger box then it should travel OK.

So, that's the story, and I'm sticking to it. I stayed up in the area
another couple of days working, so didn't get home until late Friday
night.
                         - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> > Other then that we won *woo hoo!!* ...
> > what ever did happen? *raised eyebrow*
>
> OK, I was sort of waiting for an update to be posted on the LinuxWorld
> site, but I still don't see anything, so you'll have to take my word
> for it ;)
>
> Here's the full story:
>
> I hadn't heard *anything* from the expo organizers prior to departing
> for San Jose on Wednesday morning, so was a bit leary of my reception
> upon showing up cold. After an hour to get my rental car (seems some
> convention had taken up most of the available ones...), and another 20
> minutes to drive to the San Jose convention center, it took a couple
> of minutes of talking, armed with a printout of our invitation, to get
> onto the exhibit floor without paying money (needless to say, I hate
> parting with a dollar, and hey, we *were* invited ;)

I am heading to bed, but where is the picture?  They must have a digital
camera at JPL somewhere.  It is Nasa/JPL.  Take one off that Mars rover
thingy and post a picture, OK?  :-)

(I see you just got home on Friday.)

Second, my guess is that we are going to be getting one of these every
year, so Marc will need to buy a display case, right?  :-)  If
contribution to open source is a criteria, we will win easily next year.
We just need a few cool'o features for >= 6.6.

> What should I do with the trophy? Send it straight to Marc, or should
> it travel a more indirect route, perhaps passing through Pennsylvania
> and other places first? The box seems fairly sturdy, and if I put it
> into a bigger box then it should travel OK.

Sounds like that run they do for the Olympics with the torch.  "The
PostgreSQL award will be passing through your town on October 12th, at
..."  We could have Linux user groups doing the running.  :-)

The big question is whether the box can make it to Russia.

> So, that's the story, and I'm sticking to it. I stayed up in the area
> another couple of days working, so didn't get home until late Friday
> night.

Thanks for going.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Theo Kramer
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> The big question is whether the box can make it to Russia.

Why not get the Russians.. and other contributors to go to the box :-).

Perhaps a donation thingy on the home page to cover costs....?
--------
Regards
Theo

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
welp, I missed this thread somewhere...

huh?  what box?  what did I miss?? :(

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Theo Kramer wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The big question is whether the box can make it to Russia.
>
> Why not get the Russians.. and other contributors to go to the box :-).
>
> Perhaps a donation thingy on the home page to cover costs....?
> --------
> Regards
> Theo

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> When I got the the awards area, they were quite nice, and apologized
> for not responding. Apparently their e-mail wasn't actually working
> during the week before the show. Funny, I forgot to ask what system
> they actually were running, but assume that it was some M$ corporate
> garbage. They were using PowerPoint btw for projecting during the
> awards. Should have given them a hard time about it...

>From what Jeff was able to tell when he talked to someone there a few
weeks back, they are "considering moving their accounting system to
PostgreSQL" ... and the 'PowerPoint'...i twouldn't have been StarOffice's
product vs MS, no? :)

> So, we've got a nice trophy, consisting of a curved piece of glass
> with our project name (and Marc F's name; note to us: we should
> probably ask them to put "Postgres Development Group" on it next time)

No disagreement here...

> What should I do with the trophy? Send it straight to Marc, or should
> it travel a more indirect route, perhaps passing through Pennsylvania
> and other places first? The box seems fairly sturdy, and if I put it
> into a bigger box then it should travel OK.

Sounds cool to me...hrmmm...I'd like to get it, like, VRML'd so that we
could put it on the web site and rotated and whatnot :)  "see the back of
our award" *grin*  And I have a good graphic artist up here, I'll get it
"touched up" to say "PostgreSQL Global Development Group", if it can be
done :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Second, my guess is that we are going to be getting one of these every
> year, so Marc will need to buy a display case, right?  :-)  If
> contribution to open source is a criteria, we will win easily next year.
> We just need a few cool'o features for >= 6.6.

*rofl*  that would be most interesting to watch..."PostgreSQL wins award
15 years running!!" *grin*

> > What should I do with the trophy? Send it straight to Marc, or should
> > it travel a more indirect route, perhaps passing through Pennsylvania
> > and other places first? The box seems fairly sturdy, and if I put it
> > into a bigger box then it should travel OK.
>
> Sounds like that run they do for the Olympics with the torch.  "The
> PostgreSQL award will be passing through your town on October 12th, at
> ..."  We could have Linux user groups doing the running.  :-)

Linux users can run? :)

> The big question is whether the box can make it to Russia.

I think we should get a "duplicate" made if we are going to have it do a
world tour or something like that, no? *rofl*

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> It would have been easier to find, but there were quite a few
> exhibits, including a large one from Oracle (oh oh, no way we're going
> to win this one, eh?...). It was great seeing a lot of the companies
> in the Linux/OpenSource market actually acting like real companies
> with booths, "demo girls", the whole schmear. FreeBSD had a large
> booth full of t-shirts, coffee mugs, and CDs; apparently they have a
> strong Bay area contingent.

Ya, the way I've heard it (might not have been this one), but the
FreeBSD'rs have been going ot Linux conventions with "free CDs" to give
away, but RedHat has been 'anal' about doing similar...

> So, that's the story, and I'm sticking to it. I stayed up in the area
> another couple of days working, so didn't get home until late Friday
> night.

thanks for going :)  I'm glad we had a 'human' prescense at the awards...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> I think we should get a "duplicate" made if we are going to have it do a
> world tour or something like that, no? *rofl*

What, like the Stanley Cup?  :)

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The big question is whether the box can make it to Russia.
>
> Why not get the Russians.. and other contributors to go to the box :-).
>
> Perhaps a donation thingy on the home page to cover costs....?

There has been talk that if we write a book, we can use the profits to
fly people around for "meetings".

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Theo Kramer
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> There has been talk that if we write a book, we can use the profits to
> fly people around for "meetings".

I'll be keeping my nose glued to oreilly.com :-)
--------
Regards
Theo

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > I think we should get a "duplicate" made if we are going to have it do a
> > world tour or something like that, no? *rofl*
>
> What, like the Stanley Cup?  :)

Exactly :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > There has been talk that if we write a book, we can use the profits to
> > fly people around for "meetings".
>
> I'll be keeping my nose glued to oreilly.com :-)

They haven't approached us yet.  Other publishers have.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > > I think we should get a "duplicate" made if we are going to have it do a
> > > world tour or something like that, no? *rofl*
> >
> > What, like the Stanley Cup?  :)
>
> Exactly :)

You know, if we send it to Vadim, then to Tatsuo or Hiroshi, then to
Marc, it will have traveled around the world.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > What, like the Stanley Cup?  :)
> >
> > Exactly :)
>
> You know, if we send it to Vadim, then to Tatsuo or Hiroshi, then to
> Marc, it will have traveled around the world.

Then it can be called:  The 1999 PostgreSQL World Tour   or wait a few
months and call it:  The PostgreSQL 2K World Tour    or I can shut up now.

:)

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> > > Exactly :)
> >
> > You know, if we send it to Vadim, then to Tatsuo or Hiroshi, then to
> > Marc, it will have traveled around the world.
> >

> Then it can be called:  The 1999 PostgreSQL World Tour   or wait a few
> months and call it:  The PostgreSQL 2K World Tour    or I can shut up now.

*groan* *grin*

The 1999 one sounds better, IMHO :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > What, like the Stanley Cup?  :)
> >
> > Exactly :)
>
> You know, if we send it to Vadim, then to Tatsuo or Hiroshi, then to
> Marc, it will have traveled around the world.

I like this idea -:))

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
>Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> > Exactly :)
>>
>> You know, if we send it to Vadim, then to Tatsuo or Hiroshi, then to
>> Marc, it will have traveled around the world.
>
>I like this idea -:))
>
>Vadim

I like it too:-)
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 17-Aug-99 Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

>>> You know, if we send it to Vadim, then to Tatsuo or Hiroshi, then to
>>> Marc, it will have traveled around the world.
>>
>>I like this idea -:))
>>
>>Vadim
>
> I like it too:-)

Hmmmm...  Y'know they always send a rep along with the Stanley Cup so as
to keep it safe........... :)

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:

> >>I like this idea -:))
> >>
> >>Vadim
> >
> > I like it too:-)
>
> Hmmmm...  Y'know they always send a rep along with the Stanley Cup so as
> to keep it safe........... :)

You know, my wife and I were just talking today about taking an
around-the-world cruise someday.  This may be my chance.  :-)

I am seeing double-smiles from Vadim, so if people are serious and not
just joking, I will try and make the arrangements so it is dropped off
and picked up by reputable carriers to make the trip.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> You know, my wife and I were just talking today about taking an
> around-the-world cruise someday.  This may be my chance.  :-)
>
> I am seeing double-smiles from Vadim, so if people are serious and not
> just joking, I will try and make the arrangements so it is dropped off
> and picked up by reputable carriers to make the trip.

I'm not joking (though cost may be issue).
First step is to define the route.
So, who would like to participate in this project?

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > You know, my wife and I were just talking today about taking an
> > around-the-world cruise someday.  This may be my chance.  :-)
> >
> > I am seeing double-smiles from Vadim, so if people are serious and not
> > just joking, I will try and make the arrangements so it is dropped off
> > and picked up by reputable carriers to make the trip.
>
> I'm not joking (though cost may be issue).
> First step is to define the route.
> So, who would like to participate in this project?

OK, let's get the box size and weight, and I will see what global
carriers can handle this.  Seems DHL may be a good choice, though they
seem to only do fast service.  Let's see who has a door-to-door low
cost/slow option that covers the globe.  Suggestions?

I just tried Airborne Express, and they don't have presence in all
areas.  They ship via third party to some places, so the billing can't
be done from one location.  DHL looks expensive, and doesn't allow the
proper billing either, so I can't pay for it all here.

My idea is to plan the route, and have each person get a price for any
shipping means they prefer, and I will include checks in the award box,
for the proper amounts, to be cashed by each person for use in paying
their part of the shipping.  How does this sound?  That seems like the
only way because I can't find a company that will allow for all shipping
to be payed by one person.  It also allows us to user cheaper carriers.
I am sure the US Postal Service is cheaper than these premium carriers.

Should England be on our list too?  Don't want to forget people.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > I'm not joking (though cost may be issue).
> > First step is to define the route.
> > So, who would like to participate in this project?
> OK, let's get the box size and weight, and I will see what global
> carriers can handle this.  Seems DHL may be a good choice, though they
> seem to only do fast service.  Let's see who has a door-to-door low
> cost/slow option that covers the globe.  Suggestions?

The weight for the original box is low ~2lbs/1kg. We might want to put
it inside another box full of peanuts, but the weight would stay low;
say under 3kg. I'll help sponsor shipping in and out of Russia, and
I'll bet DHL goes where you want. FedEx seems to have less coverage in
some areas, but those may just be the ones I've run into like China.

I think perhaps some other legs of the trip could be sponsored by the
area reps? Perhaps we should have a period where folks can propose a
visit, and if it coincides with a local event like a club meeting so
much the better.

btw, I should be able to get a digital photo of the trophy soon, but
have been swamped at work and am getting ready to leave for 10 days
for vacation. So I may not be much help for a little while :( I hope
that doesn't delay a world tour too long...
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> > > I'm not joking (though cost may be issue).
> > > First step is to define the route.
> > > So, who would like to participate in this project?
> > OK, let's get the box size and weight, and I will see what global
> > carriers can handle this.  Seems DHL may be a good choice, though they
> > seem to only do fast service.  Let's see who has a door-to-door low
> > cost/slow option that covers the globe.  Suggestions?
>
> The weight for the original box is low ~2lbs/1kg. We might want to put
> it inside another box full of peanuts, but the weight would stay low;
> say under 3kg. I'll help sponsor shipping in and out of Russia, and
> I'll bet DHL goes where you want. FedEx seems to have less coverage in
> some areas, but those may just be the ones I've run into like China.

That's a good weight.  The big problem is getting it _out_ of these
places.  Seems the shipments mostly have to be payed by the sender, so
it requires the people who have the award to pay shipping.  I would like
to see someone other than the sender pay, if possible, but if people
want to host the cost for their leg of the trip, all the better.  Cost
from USA to Krasnoyarsk for a 2 pound package is $80 via DHL.

> I think perhaps some other legs of the trip could be sponsored by the
> area reps? Perhaps we should have a period where folks can propose a
> visit, and if it coincides with a local event like a club meeting so
> much the better.

OK, we should probably start taking visit requests.  Any major
developers who want to host it for a while, speak up?  Certainly anyone
on the developers page is welcome.  We already have Thomas, me, Vadim,
Tatsuo, and Marc, in that order across the globe.  Or we can go Thomas,
Tatsuo, Vadim, me, and Marc, though this would mean it had not crossed
the USA.  In fact, we can each take a picture of it in our homes, and
make a web page of it.  (I can scan in any photos for those without
digital cameras.)  Now, that would be nifty.

> btw, I should be able to get a digital photo of the trophy soon, but
> have been swamped at work and am getting ready to leave for 10 days
> for vacation. So I may not be much help for a little while :( I hope
> that doesn't delay a world tour too long...

Consider your time with the award ticking.  :-)  You get to play with it
too.

I can imagine the trip taking several months to cross the globe, so
there is no rush.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Thomas,

Before sending the box to world trip could you make a 3D picture and
publish it on the Web. Take a look at Freedom VR
http://www.honeylocust.com/vr/ - it's free and works fine.

As for the Russia in my experience DHL was always good. If you'll have a
problem with sending the trophy to Vadim I  could arrange that from
Moscow.Regards,    Oleg

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 06:11:49 +0000
> From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
> Cc: Vadim Mikheev <vadim@krs.ru>,
>     Postgres Hackers List <hackers@postgreSQL.org>
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow
>
> > > I'm not joking (though cost may be issue).
> > > First step is to define the route.
> > > So, who would like to participate in this project?
> > OK, let's get the box size and weight, and I will see what global
> > carriers can handle this.  Seems DHL may be a good choice, though they
> > seem to only do fast service.  Let's see who has a door-to-door low
> > cost/slow option that covers the globe.  Suggestions?
>
> The weight for the original box is low ~2lbs/1kg. We might want to put
> it inside another box full of peanuts, but the weight would stay low;
> say under 3kg. I'll help sponsor shipping in and out of Russia, and
> I'll bet DHL goes where you want. FedEx seems to have less coverage in
> some areas, but those may just be the ones I've run into like China.
>
> I think perhaps some other legs of the trip could be sponsored by the
> area reps? Perhaps we should have a period where folks can propose a
> visit, and if it coincides with a local event like a club meeting so
> much the better.
>
> btw, I should be able to get a digital photo of the trophy soon, but
> have been swamped at work and am getting ready to leave for 10 days
> for vacation. So I may not be much help for a little while :( I hope
> that doesn't delay a world tour too long...
>
>                      - Thomas
>
> --
> Thomas Lockhart                lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu
> South Pasadena, California

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> Thomas,
>
> Before sending the box to world trip could you make a 3D picture and
> publish it on the Web. Take a look at Freedom VR
> http://www.honeylocust.com/vr/ - it's free and works fine.

Yes, I think Marc wants to do that.

> As for the Russia in my experience DHL was always good. If you'll have a
> problem with sending the trophy to Vadim I  could arrange that from
> Moscow.

Yes, DHL is good, but they can't do the entire trip with one person
paying it all.  They have to have the sender pay, so that is why I was
leaning to including checks in the package for those who want it.  Also,
DHL-type carriers only offer 1-3 day delivery, which can get expensive
if we have many stops.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, we should probably start taking visit requests.  Any major
> developers who want to host it for a while, speak up?  Certainly anyone
> on the developers page is welcome.  We already have Thomas, me, Vadim,
> Tatsuo, and Marc, in that order across the globe.  Or we can go Thomas,
> Tatsuo, Vadim, me, and Marc, though this would mean it had not crossed
> the USA.  In fact, we can each take a picture of it in our homes, and
> make a web page of it.  (I can scan in any photos for those without
> digital cameras.)  Now, that would be nifty.

Well if the lowly webmaster is eligible count me in.  I can fedex to the
next person on the list.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > You know, my wife and I were just talking today about taking an
> > around-the-world cruise someday.  This may be my chance.  :-)
> >
> > I am seeing double-smiles from Vadim, so if people are serious and not
> > just joking, I will try and make the arrangements so it is dropped off
> > and picked up by reputable carriers to make the trip.
>
> I'm not joking (though cost may be issue).
> First step is to define the route.
> So, who would like to participate in this project?

I think, if we are going to be doing this, each person along the route has
to "add something" to the package...a postcard from their area or
something like that?  something to "Prove it was there"?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:

> > > OK, let's get the box size and weight, and I will see what global
> > > carriers can handle this.  Seems DHL may be a good choice, though they
> > > seem to only do fast service.  Let's see who has a door-to-door low
> > > cost/slow option that covers the globe.  Suggestions?
> >
> > The weight for the original box is low ~2lbs/1kg. We might want to put
> > it inside another box full of peanuts, but the weight would stay low;
> > say under 3kg. I'll help sponsor shipping in and out of Russia, and
> > I'll bet DHL goes where you want. FedEx seems to have less coverage in
> > some areas, but those may just be the ones I've run into like China.
>
> That's a good weight.  The big problem is getting it _out_ of these
> places.  Seems the shipments mostly have to be payed by the sender, so
> it requires the people who have the award to pay shipping.  I would like
> to see someone other than the sender pay, if possible, but if people
> want to host the cost for their leg of the trip, all the better.  Cost
> from USA to Krasnoyarsk for a 2 pound package is $80 via DHL.
>
> > I think perhaps some other legs of the trip could be sponsored by the
> > area reps? Perhaps we should have a period where folks can propose a
> > visit, and if it coincides with a local event like a club meeting so
> > much the better.
>
> OK, we should probably start taking visit requests.  Any major
> developers who want to host it for a while, speak up?  Certainly anyone
> on the developers page is welcome.  We already have Thomas, me, Vadim,
> Tatsuo, and Marc, in that order across the globe.  Or we can go Thomas,
> Tatsuo, Vadim, me, and Marc, though this would mean it had not crossed
> the USA.  In fact, we can each take a picture of it in our homes, and
> make a web page of it.  (I can scan in any photos for those without
> digital cameras.)  Now, that would be nifty.

Once we have a firmer idea of whom it is going to, planning might be
easier, as well as costs, since we could do it in "shorter hops"...ie. If
Peter Mount wanted it, then we would be able to do "Thomas, Bruce, Peter,
Vadim, Tatsuo, Me"...throw in Oleg there, and we can put him between Vadim
and Tatsuo...Throw Tom Lane in there, and that can go between ... ??

D'Arcy Cain, if he wants, can go between Tatsuo and Me
(Japen->Toronto->NS), etc...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Thomas,
> >
> > Before sending the box to world trip could you make a 3D picture and
> > publish it on the Web. Take a look at Freedom VR
> > http://www.honeylocust.com/vr/ - it's free and works fine.
>
> Yes, I think Marc wants to do that.
>
> > As for the Russia in my experience DHL was always good. If you'll have a
> > problem with sending the trophy to Vadim I  could arrange that from
> > Moscow.
>
> Yes, DHL is good, but they can't do the entire trip with one person
> paying it all.  They have to have the sender pay, so that is why I was
> leaning to including checks in the package for those who want it.  Also,
> DHL-type carriers only offer 1-3 day delivery, which can get expensive
> if we have many stops.

What about someone like FedEx, with one account?  Instead of sending
cheques around?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Once we have a firmer idea of whom it is going to, planning might be
> easier, as well as costs, since we could do it in "shorter hops"...ie. If
> Peter Mount wanted it, then we would be able to do "Thomas, Bruce, Peter,
> Vadim, Tatsuo, Me"...throw in Oleg there, and we can put him between Vadim
> and Tatsuo...Throw Tom Lane in there, and that can go between ... ??

Need some Europeans and Australians in there.

I don't suppose we have much chance of hitting Antartica, but it'd be
cool if the trophy made its way to every inhabited continent...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > OK, we should probably start taking visit requests.  Any major
> > developers who want to host it for a while, speak up?  Certainly anyone
> > on the developers page is welcome.  We already have Thomas, me, Vadim,
> > Tatsuo, and Marc, in that order across the globe.  Or we can go Thomas,
> > Tatsuo, Vadim, me, and Marc, though this would mean it had not crossed
> > the USA.  In fact, we can each take a picture of it in our homes, and
> > make a web page of it.  (I can scan in any photos for those without
> > digital cameras.)  Now, that would be nifty.
>
> Well if the lowly webmaster is eligible count me in.  I can fedex to the
> next person on the list.

Added.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > You know, my wife and I were just talking today about taking an
> > > around-the-world cruise someday.  This may be my chance.  :-)
> > >
> > > I am seeing double-smiles from Vadim, so if people are serious and not
> > > just joking, I will try and make the arrangements so it is dropped off
> > > and picked up by reputable carriers to make the trip.
> >
> > I'm not joking (though cost may be issue).
> > First step is to define the route.
> > So, who would like to participate in this project?
>
> I think, if we are going to be doing this, each person along the route has
> to "add something" to the package...a postcard from their area or
> something like that?  something to "Prove it was there"?

Yes, and we certainly need one sheet in the package for everyone's name
and signature that we can scan in and put on the web page.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> > Yes, DHL is good, but they can't do the entire trip with one person
> > paying it all.  They have to have the sender pay, so that is why I was
> > leaning to including checks in the package for those who want it.  Also,
> > DHL-type carriers only offer 1-3 day delivery, which can get expensive
> > if we have many stops.
>
> What about someone like FedEx, with one account?  Instead of sending
> cheques around?

Most carriers don't allow "third-party" billing, where the shipment is
payed by neither the sender or receiver, in all global locations.  That
was the problem with DHL and Airborne Express.

Pennsylvania19026

RE: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
"John Ridout"
Дата:
At last something I can help with.
One of my customers is a courier company, I'll ask them to find out.

> > > Yes, DHL is good, but they can't do the entire trip with one person
> > > paying it all.  They have to have the sender pay, so that is why I was
> > > leaning to including checks in the package for those who want
> it.  Also,
> > > DHL-type carriers only offer 1-3 day delivery, which can get expensive
> > > if we have many stops.
> >
> > What about someone like FedEx, with one account?  Instead of sending
> > cheques around?
>
> Most carriers don't allow "third-party" billing, where the shipment is
> payed by neither the sender or receiver, in all global locations.  That
> was the problem with DHL and Airborne Express.
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain
Дата:
Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> D'Arcy Cain, if he wants, can go between Tatsuo and Me
> (Japen->Toronto->NS), etc...

I was wondering if I should speak up.  I don't know how many people we
have here (the map suggests just me and the server) but I was thinking
that it would be worthwhile if we could make some sort of event out of
it.  Anyone else in or around Toronto want to try to put something like
that together?  I imagine that we have a few months to do something while
it globetrots.

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > D'Arcy Cain, if he wants, can go between Tatsuo and Me
> > (Japen->Toronto->NS), etc...
>
> I was wondering if I should speak up.  I don't know how many people we
> have here (the map suggests just me and the server) but I was thinking
> that it would be worthwhile if we could make some sort of event out of
> it.  Anyone else in or around Toronto want to try to put something like
> that together?  I imagine that we have a few months to do something while
> it globetrots.

Reserve the ROM and put it up on display? *grin*

for those not in the know: ROM == Royal Ontario Museum

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > D'Arcy Cain, if he wants, can go between Tatsuo and Me
> > (Japen->Toronto->NS), etc...
>
> I was wondering if I should speak up.  I don't know how many people we
> have here (the map suggests just me and the server) but I was thinking
> that it would be worthwhile if we could make some sort of event out of
> it.  Anyone else in or around Toronto want to try to put something like
> that together?  I imagine that we have a few months to do something while
> it globetrots.

I have added you to the list:ThomasVinceD'ArcyBruceVadimTatsuoMarc

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>
> > Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > > D'Arcy Cain, if he wants, can go between Tatsuo and Me
> > > (Japen->Toronto->NS), etc...
> >
> > I was wondering if I should speak up.  I don't know how many people we
> > have here (the map suggests just me and the server) but I was thinking
> > that it would be worthwhile if we could make some sort of event out of
> > it.  Anyone else in or around Toronto want to try to put something like
> > that together?  I imagine that we have a few months to do something while
> > it globetrots.
>
> Reserve the ROM and put it up on display? *grin*
>
> for those not in the know: ROM == Royal Ontario Museum

Is that going to be big enough.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> >
> > > Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > >
> > > I was wondering if I should speak up.  I don't know how many people we
> > > have here (the map suggests just me and the server) but I was thinking
> > > that it would be worthwhile if we could make some sort of event out of
> > > it.  Anyone else in or around Toronto want to try to put something like
> > > that together?  I imagine that we have a few months to do something while
> > > it globetrots.
> >
> > Reserve the ROM and put it up on display? *grin*
> >
> > for those not in the know: ROM == Royal Ontario Museum
>
> Is that going to be big enough.  :-)

Not sure...SkyDome might be more appropriate :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> ... it would be worthwhile if we could make some sort of event out of
> it.  Anyone else in or around Toronto want to try to put something like
> that together?  I imagine that we have a few months to do something while
> it globetrots.

Hmm.  Toronto is not too far away for me, nor for Bruce I imagine...
dunno if it's in driving distance for Marc, but it's about as central
a spot as we'd be likely to find...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> "D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> > ... it would be worthwhile if we could make some sort of event out of
> > it.  Anyone else in or around Toronto want to try to put something like
> > that together?  I imagine that we have a few months to do something while
> > it globetrots.
>
> Hmm.  Toronto is not too far away for me, nor for Bruce I imagine...
> dunno if it's in driving distance for Marc, but it's about as central
> a spot as we'd be likely to find...

My wife would not mind the trip.  We have friends in Toronto.  It is 10
hours.  Yikes.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain
Дата:
Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > > Reserve the ROM and put it up on display? *grin*
> > > for those not in the know: ROM == Royal Ontario Museum
> > Is that going to be big enough.  :-)
> Not sure...SkyDome might be more appropriate :)

You have been gone from the Big Smoke too long there, young fella.  We
want the ACC (Air Canada Centre) now.  :-)

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain
Дата:
Thus spake Tom Lane
> "D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> > ... it would be worthwhile if we could make some sort of event out of
> > it.  Anyone else in or around Toronto want to try to put something like
> > that together?  I imagine that we have a few months to do something while
> > it globetrots.
>
> Hmm.  Toronto is not too far away for me, nor for Bruce I imagine...
> dunno if it's in driving distance for Marc, but it's about as central
> a spot as we'd be likely to find...

So who's up for a party here?  If we let it go around the world first
and collect all those travel stickers or whatever, it might even be
somewhat newsworthy if we find a slow news day.

If it's a small enough group we can all go down to the cage and toast
www.PostgreSQL.org.  :-)

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > > Is that going to be big enough.  :-)
> > Not sure...SkyDome might be more appropriate :)
>
> You have been gone from the Big Smoke too long there, young fella.  We
> want the ACC (Air Canada Centre) now.  :-)

Oops...the girls wanted to go downtown while we were there, and we ran out
of time.  guess I should have re-acquianted myself with the downtown after
all :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > "D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> > > ... it would be worthwhile if we could make some sort of event out of
> > > it.  Anyone else in or around Toronto want to try to put something like
> > > that together?  I imagine that we have a few months to do something while
> > > it globetrots.
> >
> > Hmm.  Toronto is not too far away for me, nor for Bruce I imagine...
> > dunno if it's in driving distance for Marc, but it's about as central
> > a spot as we'd be likely to find...
>
> My wife would not mind the trip.  We have friends in Toronto.  It is 10
> hours.  Yikes.

22 for me, definitely not a "weekend trip" :(  But, depending on when we
planned for it, I could probably take some time off, and then I could just
drive it back with me and save some shipping...*shrug*

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
Stephen Kogge
Дата:
If the award is small enough you might consider a small cooler as the
shipping box. I use coolers (as in plastic clad foam box to keep your
picnic cool) to ship my underwater cameras all over the world. They
survive many years of airline baggage handlers, are fairly inexpensive
and give you a surface to duct-tape closed. About the only thing you may need
to do is put "contents are not food, no dry-ice". Those are two most common
questions at customs.

-- Stephen N. Koggestevek@uimage.comhttp://www.uimage.com

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

Дата:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>
> > Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > > Not sure...SkyDome might be more appropriate :)
> >
> > You have been gone from the Big Smoke too long there, young fella.  We
> > want the ACC (Air Canada Centre) now.  :-)
>
> Oops...the girls wanted to go downtown while we were there, and we ran out
> of time.  guess I should have re-acquianted myself with the downtown after
> all :)

Are you guys doing the "name the staduim after a company" thing too?
I don't like it.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> >
> > > Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > >
> > > You have been gone from the Big Smoke too long there, young fella.  We
> > > want the ACC (Air Canada Centre) now.  :-)
> >
> > Oops...the girls wanted to go downtown while we were there, and we ran out
> > of time.  guess I should have re-acquianted myself with the downtown after
> > all :)
>
> Are you guys doing the "name the staduim after a company" thing too?
> I don't like it.

Geez. and I though "The PostgreSQL Centre" had a nice ring to it :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [CORE] Re: tomorrow

От
"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain
Дата:
Thus spake Bruce Momjian

> > > You have been gone from the Big Smoke too long there, young fella.  We
> > > want the ACC (Air Canada Centre) now.  :-)
> >
> > Oops...the girls wanted to go downtown while we were there, and we ran out
> > of time.  guess I should have re-acquianted myself with the downtown after
> > all :)
>
> Are you guys doing the "name the staduim after a company" thing too?
> I don't like it.

No, the ACC is a new building (*) while the Skydome has been around for
a few years.

(*) Well, actually it used to be the main post office plant in downtown
Toronto.  Part of the requirements they had were to keep the facade for
hysterical... er, historical reasons.