Обсуждение: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

[Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

От
Ranier Vilela
Дата:
Hi,
I believe PostgreSQL can benefit from changing the alert level of compilation warnings.
The current Level3 level for windows does not show any alerts, but that does not mean that there are no problems.
Changing the level to Level4 and its equivalent for GCC in Unix environments will show many warnings for shadow
variables,including global variables.
True, there will also be many silly alerts that can be safely disabled.
Shadow variables, although they may not currently represent bugs, may be hiding errors, or at the very least, it is a
wasteof variable declaration.
With the current Level3 level, development is no longer checking and correcting shadow variables.

Any comments?

Best regards,
Ranier Vilela

Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:24 PM Ranier Vilela <ranier_gyn@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I believe PostgreSQL can benefit from changing the alert level of compilation warnings.
> The current Level3 level for windows does not show any alerts, but that does not mean that there are no problems.
> Changing the level to Level4 and its equivalent for GCC in Unix environments will show many warnings for shadow
variables,including global variables.

> True, there will also be many silly alerts that can be safely disabled.
> Shadow variables, although they may not currently represent bugs, may be hiding errors, or at the very least, it is a
wasteof variable declaration.

> With the current Level3 level, development is no longer checking and correcting shadow variables.
>
> Any comments?

Most of us don't develop on Windows, so changing warning levels on
Windows won't really affect what developers see on their own machines,
and thus probably doesn't have much value. It might be a good idea to
try to clean up some/many cases of shadowed variables, though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Robert wrote:
>Most of us don't develop on Windows, so changing warning levels on
>Windows won't really affect what developers see on their own machines,
>and thus probably doesn't have much value.
Yes the report is from msvc 2017.
Even so, there is some failure to review or compile in Unix environment, because there are so many cases.
-Wshadow with GCC can show the alerts.

>It might be a good idea to>try to clean up some/many cases of shadowed >variables, though.
Interested in submitting the msvc 2017 report?

Ranier Vilela

Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 11:26 AM Ranier Vilela <ranier_gyn@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Even so, there is some failure to review or compile in Unix environment, because there are so many cases.
> -Wshadow with GCC can show the alerts.

I mean, compiler warnings are not errors, and there's no requirement
that we fix every warning. I compile with -Wall -Werror regularly and
that works fine. I don't necessarily feel like I have to turn on more
warnings that aren't shown by default on the platforms I use. One way
of looking at it: if a warning isn't enabled by -Wall, it's probably
something that either isn't that important or would generate too many
false positives.

> Interested in submitting the msvc 2017 report?

I think if this is an issue you care about, it's up to you to think of
doing something about it, like going through the report and submitting
patches for whichever cases you think need to be addressed. Cleaning
up stuff like this is potentially a lot of work, and I struggle to
keep up with all the work I've already got.

If you do decide to work on this, I recommend against preparing a
single giant patch that changes every single one blindly. Try to think
about which cases are the most egregious/dangerous and propose patches
for those first. If those are accepted then you can move on to other
cases.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

От
Mark Dilger

On 12/3/19 5:24 PM, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> Hi,
> I believe PostgreSQL can benefit from changing the alert level of compilation warnings.
> The current Level3 level for windows does not show any alerts, but that does not mean that there are no problems.
> Changing the level to Level4 and its equivalent for GCC in Unix environments will show many warnings for shadow
variables,including global variables.

> True, there will also be many silly alerts that can be safely disabled.
> Shadow variables, although they may not currently represent bugs, may be hiding errors, or at the very least, it is a
wasteof variable declaration.

> With the current Level3 level, development is no longer checking and correcting shadow variables.
>
> Any comments?

I suggested increasing the default warnings in an email some time ago,
to which Tom made reasonable objections.  You might want to take a
look at his comments, and consider if you can overcome the concerns
he had:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/25938.1487367117%40sss.pgh.pa.us

and

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/30007.1487374499%40sss.pgh.pa.us

--
Mark Dilger

Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

Дата:
Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> writes:
> On 12/3/19 5:24 PM, Ranier Vilela wrote:
>> Any comments?

> I suggested increasing the default warnings in an email some time ago,
> to which Tom made reasonable objections.

Yes, that whole thread is worth a read in this context:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEepm%3D15e9L695yVCO-_OkBVbsPupyXqzYWzzDmj-bdJ6o2%2BPw%40mail.gmail.com

The original concern about --disable-integer-datetimes is history
now, but I think the variability of error reports between compilers
is still instructive and relevant.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 01:41:20PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> If you do decide to work on this, I recommend against preparing a
> single giant patch that changes every single one blindly. Try to think
> about which cases are the most egregious/dangerous and propose patches
> for those first. If those are accepted then you can move on to other
> cases.

+1.  An case-by-case analysis is key here because it depends on the
context of the code.  I am ready to bet that we don't care about most
of them, still that there are cases which actually matter a lot.
--
Michael

Вложения