Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Dec-18, Michael Paquier wrote:

> Let's take one example.  The changes in pg_dump/ like
> /progname/prog_name/ have just been done in haste, without actual
> thoughts about how the problem ought to be fixed.  And in this case,
> something which could be more adapted is to remove the argument from
> usage() because progname is a global variable, initialized from the
> beginning in pg_restore.

We discussed progname as a global/local before -- IIRC in the thread
that introduced the frontend logging API -- and while I think the whole
issue could stand some improvement, we shouldn't let it be driven by
minor changes; that'll only make it more confusing.  IMO if we want it
improved, a larger change (involving the bunch of frontend programs) is
what to look for.  Maybe what you suggest is an improvement, though
(certainly the "prog_name" patch wasn't).