Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars
Дата
RE: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars  (Ranier Vilela <ranier_gyn@hotmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 12/3/19 5:24 PM, Ranier Vilela wrote:
> Hi,
> I believe PostgreSQL can benefit from changing the alert level of compilation warnings.
> The current Level3 level for windows does not show any alerts, but that does not mean that there are no problems.
> Changing the level to Level4 and its equivalent for GCC in Unix environments will show many warnings for shadow
variables,including global variables.

> True, there will also be many silly alerts that can be safely disabled.
> Shadow variables, although they may not currently represent bugs, may be hiding errors, or at the very least, it is a
wasteof variable declaration.

> With the current Level3 level, development is no longer checking and correcting shadow variables.
>
> Any comments?

I suggested increasing the default warnings in an email some time ago,
to which Tom made reasonable objections.  You might want to take a
look at his comments, and consider if you can overcome the concerns
he had:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/25938.1487367117%40sss.pgh.pa.us

and

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/30007.1487374499%40sss.pgh.pa.us