Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [Proposal] Level4 Warnings show many shadow vars
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 11:26 AM Ranier Vilela <ranier_gyn@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Even so, there is some failure to review or compile in Unix environment, because there are so many cases.
> -Wshadow with GCC can show the alerts.

I mean, compiler warnings are not errors, and there's no requirement
that we fix every warning. I compile with -Wall -Werror regularly and
that works fine. I don't necessarily feel like I have to turn on more
warnings that aren't shown by default on the platforms I use. One way
of looking at it: if a warning isn't enabled by -Wall, it's probably
something that either isn't that important or would generate too many
false positives.

> Interested in submitting the msvc 2017 report?

I think if this is an issue you care about, it's up to you to think of
doing something about it, like going through the report and submitting
patches for whichever cases you think need to be addressed. Cleaning
up stuff like this is potentially a lot of work, and I struggle to
keep up with all the work I've already got.

If you do decide to work on this, I recommend against preparing a
single giant patch that changes every single one blindly. Try to think
about which cases are the most egregious/dangerous and propose patches
for those first. If those are accepted then you can move on to other
cases.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company