Обсуждение: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Niels Jespersen

Hello all

Recent Oracle convert here.

Running PostgreSQL 11 on Windows (10 and 2016).

Please advise, if I should direct this to another mailinglist or forum.

I want to implement detailed object auditing on PostgreSQL. This is what PGAudit extension does. However most advice on this is directed at Linux and friends, which is fair enough. From Googleing around, it seems it should be possible to compile on Windows, though.

And it is. I have compiled pgaudit.dll from the source out of pgaudit version 1.3.

And this:

Copied pgaudit.dll to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\lib

Copied  pgaudit.control and pgaudit--1.3.sql to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\share\extension

Set shared_preload_libraries = 'pgaudit'

Restart PostgreSQL

Run “CREATE EXTENSION pgaudit;”

alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all';

select pg_reload_conf();

Nothing enters the log-file from pgaudit. Creating tables (relations, sorry). Selecting from tables, nothing in the log.

I can see that alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';  complains about “unrecognized configuration parameter”, so something is known about pgaudit.

I can see that postgres.exe has locked pgaudit.dll, so postgreSQL knows it is there, but nothing in the log-file.

I need some advice regarding the next steps in my troubleshooting.

Regards

Niels Jespersen

Re: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Pavel Stehule

[...]

probably you should to use

alter system set "pgaudit.log" = 'all';

Regards

Pavel

Regards

Niels Jespersen

Re: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

Дата:
Niels Jespersen <NJN@dst.dk> writes:
> Copied pgaudit.dll to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\lib
> Copied  pgaudit.control and pgaudit--1.3.sql to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\share\extension
> Set shared_preload_libraries = 'pgaudit'
> Restart PostgreSQL
> Run "CREATE EXTENSION pgaudit;"
> alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all';
> select pg_reload_conf();

> Nothing enters the log-file from pgaudit. Creating tables (relations, sorry). Selecting from tables, nothing in the
log.

Hm, what you describe above looks right.

> I can see that alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';  complains about "unrecognized configuration parameter", so
somethingis known about pgaudit.

No, that means the postmaster *doesn't* have pgaudit loaded.

The fact that CREATE EXTENSION worked implies that you've got the library
correctly built, so I think this must boil down to the
"shared_preload_libraries" setting not having taken.  You could
cross-check that by seeing what "SHOW shared_preload_libraries"
prints.

I wonder if you forgot to remove the comment marker (#) on the
shared_preload_libraries line?

            regards, tom lane

[...]

but alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all'; should to work if pgaudit is loaded.

Regards

Pavel

Regards

Niels Jespersen

SV: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Niels Jespersen
Дата:
Thanks Tom

alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all'; -- Works, it results in 2019-02-12 08:51:49.109 CET [13560] LOG:  parameter
"pgaudit.log"changed to "all" after select pg_reload_conf();
alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all'; -- Notice spelling error logx: Fails, it results immediately in 2019-02-12
08:53:04.412CET [12856] ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "pgaudit.logx" 2019-02-12 08:53:04.412 CET [12856]
STATEMENT: alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';

pgaudit is loaded, as show by:

localhost postgres@postgres#show shared_preload_libraries;
 shared_preload_libraries
--------------------------
 pgaudit
(1 row)

localhost postgres@postgres#

pgaudit.dll is locked py postgres.exe, if I try to remove it from the lib folder.

All looks normal, except no logs from auditing.

Regards Niels

> Copied pgaudit.dll to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\lib Copied
> pgaudit.control and pgaudit--1.3.sql to C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\11\share\extension
> Set shared_preload_libraries = 'pgaudit'
> Restart PostgreSQL
> Run "CREATE EXTENSION pgaudit;"
> alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all';
> select pg_reload_conf();

> Nothing enters the log-file from pgaudit. Creating tables (relations, sorry). Selecting from tables, nothing in the
log.

Hm, what you describe above looks right.

> I can see that alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';  complains about "unrecognized configuration parameter", so
somethingis known about pgaudit.

No, that means the postmaster *doesn't* have pgaudit loaded.

The fact that CREATE EXTENSION worked implies that you've got the library correctly built, so I think this must boil
downto the "shared_preload_libraries" setting not having taken.  You could cross-check that by seeing what "SHOW
shared_preload_libraries"
prints.

I wonder if you forgot to remove the comment marker (#) on the shared_preload_libraries line?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Pavel Stehule

alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all'; -- Works, it results in 2019-02-12 08:51:49.109 CET [13560] LOG:  parameter "pgaudit.log" changed to "all" after select pg_reload_conf();
alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all'; -- Notice spelling error logx: Fails, it results immediately in 2019-02-12 08:53:04.412 CET [12856] ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "pgaudit.logx" 2019-02-12 08:53:04.412 CET [12856] STATEMENT:  alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';

pgaudit is loaded, as show by:

localhost postgres@postgres#show shared_preload_libraries;
 shared_preload_libraries
--------------------------
 pgaudit
(1 row)

localhost postgres@postgres#

pgaudit.dll is locked py postgres.exe, if I try to remove it from the lib folder.

All looks normal, except no logs from auditing.

and it doesn't work too if you use postgresql.conf?

Pavel

Regards Niels

> Copied pgaudit.dll to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\lib Copied
> pgaudit.control and pgaudit--1.3.sql to C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\11\share\extension
> Set shared_preload_libraries = 'pgaudit'
> Restart PostgreSQL
> Run "CREATE EXTENSION pgaudit;"
> alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all';
> select pg_reload_conf();

> Nothing enters the log-file from pgaudit. Creating tables (relations, sorry). Selecting from tables, nothing in the log.

Hm, what you describe above looks right.

> I can see that alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';  complains about "unrecognized configuration parameter", so something is known about pgaudit.

No, that means the postmaster *doesn't* have pgaudit loaded.

The fact that CREATE EXTENSION worked implies that you've got the library correctly built, so I think this must boil down to the "shared_preload_libraries" setting not having taken.  You could cross-check that by seeing what "SHOW shared_preload_libraries"
prints.

I wonder if you forgot to remove the comment marker (#) on the shared_preload_libraries line?

                        regards, tom lane

Re: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Pavel Stehule

alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all'; -- Works, it results in 2019-02-12 08:51:49.109 CET [13560] LOG:  parameter "pgaudit.log" changed to "all" after select pg_reload_conf();
alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all'; -- Notice spelling error logx: Fails, it results immediately in 2019-02-12 08:53:04.412 CET [12856] ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "pgaudit.logx" 2019-02-12 08:53:04.412 CET [12856] STATEMENT:  alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';

pgaudit is loaded, as show by:

localhost postgres@postgres#show shared_preload_libraries;
 shared_preload_libraries
--------------------------
 pgaudit
(1 row)

localhost postgres@postgres#

pgaudit.dll is locked py postgres.exe, if I try to remove it from the lib folder.

All looks normal, except no logs from auditing.

and it doesn't work too if you use postgresql.conf?

don't forget reload

select pg_reload_conf();

Pavel

Regards Niels

> Copied pgaudit.dll to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\lib Copied
> pgaudit.control and pgaudit--1.3.sql to C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\11\share\extension
> Set shared_preload_libraries = 'pgaudit'
> Restart PostgreSQL
> Run "CREATE EXTENSION pgaudit;"
> alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all';
> select pg_reload_conf();

> Nothing enters the log-file from pgaudit. Creating tables (relations, sorry). Selecting from tables, nothing in the log.

Hm, what you describe above looks right.

> I can see that alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';  complains about "unrecognized configuration parameter", so something is known about pgaudit.

No, that means the postmaster *doesn't* have pgaudit loaded.

The fact that CREATE EXTENSION worked implies that you've got the library correctly built, so I think this must boil down to the "shared_preload_libraries" setting not having taken.  You could cross-check that by seeing what "SHOW shared_preload_libraries"
prints.

I wonder if you forgot to remove the comment marker (#) on the shared_preload_libraries line?

                        regards, tom lane

SV: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Niels Jespersen

Same result from

pgaudit.log = 'all'

in postgresql.conf and after both select pg_reload_conf(); and after service restart.

No entries in the log from audit.

Regards Niels

> Copied pgaudit.dll to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\lib Copied
> pgaudit.control and pgaudit--1.3.sql to C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\11\share\extension
> Set shared_preload_libraries = 'pgaudit'
> Restart PostgreSQL
> Run "CREATE EXTENSION pgaudit;"
> alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all';
> select pg_reload_conf();

> Nothing enters the log-file from pgaudit. Creating tables (relations, sorry). Selecting from tables, nothing in the log.

Hm, what you describe above looks right.

> I can see that alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';  complains about "unrecognized configuration parameter", so something is known about pgaudit.

No, that means the postmaster *doesn't* have pgaudit loaded.

The fact that CREATE EXTENSION worked implies that you've got the library correctly built, so I think this must boil down to the "shared_preload_libraries" setting not having taken.  You could cross-check that by seeing what "SHOW shared_preload_libraries"
prints.

I wonder if you forgot to remove the comment marker (#) on the shared_preload_libraries line?

                        regards, tom lane

Re: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Pavel Stehule

in postgresql.conf and after both select pg_reload_conf(); and after service restart.

No entries in the log from audit.

It is strange - can you try same setup on linux?

Regards Niels

> Copied pgaudit.dll to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\lib Copied
> pgaudit.control and pgaudit--1.3.sql to C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\11\share\extension
> Set shared_preload_libraries = 'pgaudit'
> Restart PostgreSQL
> Run "CREATE EXTENSION pgaudit;"
> alter system set pgaudit.log = 'all';
> select pg_reload_conf();

> Nothing enters the log-file from pgaudit. Creating tables (relations, sorry). Selecting from tables, nothing in the log.

Hm, what you describe above looks right.

> I can see that alter system set pgaudit.logx = 'all';  complains about "unrecognized configuration parameter", so something is known about pgaudit.

No, that means the postmaster *doesn't* have pgaudit loaded.

The fact that CREATE EXTENSION worked implies that you've got the library correctly built, so I think this must boil down to the "shared_preload_libraries" setting not having taken.  You could cross-check that by seeing what "SHOW shared_preload_libraries"
prints.

I wonder if you forgot to remove the comment marker (#) on the shared_preload_libraries line?

                        regards, tom lane

Re: SV: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

Дата:
Niels Jespersen <NJN@dst.dk> writes:
> Same result from
> pgaudit.log = 'all'
> in postgresql.conf and after both select pg_reload_conf(); and after service restart.
> No entries in the log from audit.

Hm.  I don't know much about pgaudit, but just from scanning its
documentation, it doesn't seem like there's anything else that
has to be set.

I wonder whether pgaudit actually works on Windows?  It might have
some weird dependency on children being spawned with fork not exec,
for instance.  You probably ought to contact the authors and ask.

            regards, tom lane

SV: SV: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Niels Jespersen
Дата:
Hi Tom (and others)

Thank you for input. I think my next steps will be approcching the problem from differenct angles:

Implement on Linux as Proof of Concept.
Dive into the source for pgaudit and try to understand how it works, perhaps getting a small example extension working
alongthe way.
Perhaps contacting the authors of pgaudit to have them confirm that there  exists working implementations of pgaudit on
Windows(and if so if they are on PostgreSQL 11).

I will report how this turns out.

Regards Niels

> in postgresql.conf and after both select pg_reload_conf(); and after service restart.
> No entries in the log from audit.

Hm.  I don't know much about pgaudit, but just from scanning its documentation, it doesn't seem like there's anything
elsethat has to be set.

I wonder whether pgaudit actually works on Windows?  It might have some weird dependency on children being spawned with
forknot exec, for instance.  You probably ought to contact the authors and ask.

            regards, tom lane

Re: SV: SV: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 2/13/19 3:32 AM, Niels Jespersen wrote:
> Dive into the source for pgaudit and try to understand how it works,
> perhaps getting a small example extension working along the way.
> Perhaps contacting the authors of pgaudit to have them confirm that
> there  exists working implementations of pgaudit on Windows (and if
> so if they are on PostgreSQL 11).

pgaudit definitely *should* work on Windows. If you can post your other
log related conf settings I will fire up a Windows VM and try to
duplicate the issue.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Re: SV: SV: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
On 2/13/19 9:17 AM, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 2/13/19 3:32 AM, Niels Jespersen wrote:
>> Dive into the source for pgaudit and try to understand how it works,
>> perhaps getting a small example extension working along the way.
>> Perhaps contacting the authors of pgaudit to have them confirm that
>> there  exists working implementations of pgaudit on Windows (and if
>> so if they are on PostgreSQL 11).
>
> pgaudit definitely *should* work on Windows. If you can post your other
> log related conf settings I will fire up a Windows VM and try to
> duplicate the issue.

I just compiled pgaudit on a Win10 VM and loaded it into a Postgres 11
Win64 build downloaded from the PGDG community download. Works perfectly
for me. Will definitely need to understand more details about your
installation. Probably not appropriate to do that on this list, so
please submit an issue on github.com/pgaudit/pgaudit

Thanks,

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

SV: SV: SV: Implementing pgaudit extension on Microsoft Windows

От
Niels Jespersen
Дата:
Hi Joe

That is great.

Log related settings are here:

log_destination = 'stderr'
logging_collector = on
log_file_mode = 0640
log_timezone = 'Europe/Brussels'
shared_preload_libraries = 'pgaudit'
pgaudit.log = 'all'

show shared_preload_libraries;

and

show pgaudit.log;

confirms.

Pgaudit is 1.3.0, compiled with Vsiual Studio Professional 2017. PostgreSQL is PostgreSQL 11.0, compiled by Visual C++
build1914, 64-bit (not by me).

Regards Niels

On 2/13/19 3:32 AM, Niels Jespersen wrote:
> Dive into the source for pgaudit and try to understand how it works,
> perhaps getting a small example extension working along the way.
> Perhaps contacting the authors of pgaudit to have them confirm that
> there  exists working implementations of pgaudit on Windows (and if so
> if they are on PostgreSQL 11).

pgaudit definitely *should* work on Windows. If you can post your other log related conf settings I will fire up a
WindowsVM and try to duplicate the issue.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com
PostgreSQL Support for Secure Enterprises Consulting, Training, & Open Source Development