Обсуждение: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

[GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman

Does built-in logical replication work on Windows in PG10 BETA release?

I can’t make it working so far.

I created Publication on “source” PG server, but when I’m trying to CREATE SUBSCRIPTION… on “destination” server, I’m getting:

ERROR: could not connect to the publisher: could not send data to server: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057) could not send SSL negotiation packet: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057) SQL state: XX000”

In order to verify that connection works between “destination” and “source” server:

I created Postgres_fdw extension on “destination” server,

then I created server “fdw_server” foreign data wrapper postgres_fdw with the same connection options that I’m using when I’m trying to CREATE SUBSCRIPTION,

and it works fine: using this server (fdw_server) I can create foreign tables to access tables on the “source” server, and see select from these foreign tables.

Please let me know if my description is not clear.

Regards,

Igor

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/22/2017 12:33 PM, Igor Neyman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does built-in logical replication work on Windows in PG10 BETA release?

Short version:

Maybe.

Long version:

AFAIK to run on Windows you need to build pglogical 2.0 from source
master branch.

So what version of pglogical and how did you install it?

See the issue below for more info on pglogical and Postgres 10 support.

https://github.com/2ndQuadrant/pglogical/issues/93

> I can’t make it working so far.
>
> I created Publication on “source” PG server, but when I’m trying to
> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION… on “destination” server, I’m getting:

Are both servers on Windows?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Answers to Adrian questions:

Both servers run on Windows.
To install 10BETA I used installer from EnterpriseDB. Logical Replication (including Windows platform) should be part
ofthe core, so I should not be required to build pglogical 2.0 separately.
The issue you referenced concern building pglogical.

Any other ideas?
Regards,
Igor Neyman

On 05/23/2017 06:17 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:
> [...]

Yeah, my mistake I was working with pglogical and it got stuck in my head.

> Any other ideas?

Have you gone through these sections of the docs?:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/logical-replication-config.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/logical-replication-quick-setup.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman
On 05/23/2017 06:17 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

withpg_hba.conf.

Regards,
Igor

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/23/2017 06:33 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

> Yeah, my mistake I was working with pglogical and it got stuck in my head.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>
> Have you gone through these sections of the docs?:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/logical-replication-config.html
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/logical-replication-quick-setup.html
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
noissues with pg_hba.conf.

What are the contents of the pg_hba.conf file?

What are the CREATE PUBLICATION and CREATE SUBSCRIPTION commands you are
using?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Igor Neyman schrieb am 22.05.2017 um 21:33:
> Does built-in logical replication work on Windows in PG10 BETA release?
>
> I can’t make it working so far.
>
> I created Publication on “source” PG server, but when I’m trying to CREATE SUBSCRIPTION… on “destination” server, I’m
getting:

> “ERROR: could not connect to the publisher: could not send data to
> server: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057) could not send SSL
> negotiation packet: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057) SQL
> state: XX000”

> could not send SSL negotiation packet

sounds more like a SSL setup problem between the two Postgres servers, not really related to logical replication.

Can you try to setup the connections without SSL?

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman
Igor Neyman schrieb am 22.05.2017 um 21:33:
> Does built-in logical replication work on Windows in PG10 BETA release?
>
> I can’t make it working so far.
>
> I created Publication on “source” PG server, but when I’m trying to CREATE SUBSCRIPTION… on “destination” server, I’m
getting:

> “ERROR: could not connect to the publisher: could not send data to
> server: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057) could not send SSL
> negotiation packet: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057) SQL
> state: XX000”

> could not send SSL negotiation packet

sounds more like a SSL setup problem between the two Postgres servers, not really related to logical replication.

Can you try to setup the connections without SSL?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's what I thought when I first saw this error.
But, I don't understand why is it trying to use sockets.
I have ssl=off in postgresql.conf on both sides.

Regards,
Igor

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/23/2017 06:52 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

> sounds more like a SSL setup problem between the two Postgres servers, not really related to logical replication.
>
> Can you try to setup the connections without SSL?
>
> ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> That's what I thought when I first saw this error.
> But, I don't understand why is it trying to use sockets.
> I have ssl=off in postgresql.conf on both sides.

AFAIK on Windows Postgres maps sockets to localhost.

Anyway that was why I was asking about your pg_hba.conf and PUBLICATION
and SUBSCRIPTION settings, to see what is actually being requested?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

These two systems are my "sandboxes".

So, here is pg_hba on the publishing server:

# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
host    all             repl_user             0.0.0.0/0            md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5

SQL on the publisher:

 CREATE TABLE test_repl(
       int_c        int not null,
       text_c       text not null,
       ts_c         timestamp null,
       CONSTRAINT pk_test_repl primary key(int_c)
       );
insert into test_repl(int_c, text_c, ts_c) values (1, 'one', current_timestamp),
    (2, 'two', current_timestamp + interval '1 second'), (3, 'three', current_timestamp + interval '2 second');
CREATE PUBLICATION my_first_publ FOR TABLE test_repl;

The, on Subscriber:

CREATE TABLE test_repl(
       int_c        int not null,
       text_c       text not null,
       ts_c         timestamp null,
       CONSTRAINT pk_test_repl primary key(int_c)
       );
CREATE SUBSCRIPTION my_furst_subs CONNECTION 'dbname=repl host=pub_machine port=5432 user=repl_user' PUBLICATION
my_first_publ;

The last command results in:

********** Error **********

ERROR: could not connect to the publisher: could not send data to server: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057)
could not send SSL negotiation packet: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057)
SQL state: XX000

The same connection string works fine, when I create foreign data wrapper:

CREATE SERVER pub_server FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER postgres_fdw OPTIONS (host 'pub_machine', port '5432', dbname 'repl');

Regards,
Igor

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/23/2017 07:05 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

>> pg_hba.conf modified to allow "replication" user to connect to the server.
>> In the original email I mentioned that I configured Postgres_fdw foreign server that connects using the same
connectionoptions as I'm using in CREATE SUBSCRIPTION, and foreign server works fine, which to me proves that there is
noissues with pg_hba.conf.

> What are the contents of the pg_hba.conf file?
>
> What are the CREATE PUBLICATION and CREATE SUBSCRIPTION commands you are using?
>

>> Regards,
>> Igor
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
> ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> These two systems are my "sandboxes".

Define sandbox:

Are they on VMs on a single machine or something else?

> So, here is pg_hba on the publishing server:
>
> # IPv4 local connections:
> host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
> host    all             repl_user             0.0.0.0/0            md5
> # IPv6 local connections > host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5

I do not see an IPv6 all hosts entry for repl_user, Something like:

host    all   repl_user  ::/0  md5

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman
On 05/23/2017 07:05 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

>> pg_hba.conf modified to allow "replication" user to connect to the server.
>> In the original email I mentioned that I configured Postgres_fdw foreign server that connects using the same
connectionoptions as I'm using in CREATE SUBSCRIPTION, and foreign server works fine, which to me proves that there is
noissues with pg_hba.conf.

> What are the contents of the pg_hba.conf file?
>
> What are the CREATE PUBLICATION and CREATE SUBSCRIPTION commands you are using?
>

>> Regards,
>> Igor
>>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
> _____________________________________
>
> These two systems are my "sandboxes".

Define sandbox:

Are they on VMs on a single machine or something else?

> So, here is pg_hba on the publishing server:
>
> # IPv4 local connections:
> host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
> host    all             repl_user             0.0.0.0/0            md5
> # IPv6 local connections > host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5

I do not see an IPv6 all hosts entry for repl_user, Something like:

host    all   repl_user  ::/0  md5

Not a single machine.
Publisher is on a physical machine.
Subscriber is on VM.

Nothing changed after I added IPV6 entry:

host    all   repl_user  ::/0  md5

on publishing machine.

Regards,
Igor

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman
On 05/23/2017 06:52 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

> sounds more like a SSL setup problem between the two Postgres servers, not really related to logical replication.
>
> Can you try to setup the connections without SSL?

actuallybeing requested?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Interestingly, when I add this line to pg_hba.conf:

local    all             all           md5

Postgres is not starting with the following error in the log file:

2017-05-23 11:02:10.397 EDT [4796] LOG:  local connections are not supported by this build
2017-05-23 11:02:10.397 EDT [4796] CONTEXT:  line 1 of configuration file "C:/PostgreSQL/10/data/pg_hba.conf"
2017-05-23 11:02:10.398 EDT [4796] FATAL:  could not load pg_hba.conf
2017-05-23 11:02:10.403 EDT [4796] LOG:  database system is shut down

The line I added is the first line.
" LOG:  local connections are not supported by this build" - is this related to my problems with CREATE SUBSCRIPTION?

And another question:
Anyone from 2ndQuadrant could verify that pglogical included in the core PG10 BETA (packed by EnterpriseDB) supports
Windows?

Regards,
Igor

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
George Neuner
Дата:
On Tue, 23 May 2017 15:15:46 +0000, Igor Neyman
<ineyman@perceptron.com> wrote:

>Interestingly, when I add this line to pg_hba.conf:
>
>local    all             all           md5
>
>Postgres is not starting with the following error in the log file:
>
>2017-05-23 11:02:10.397 EDT [4796] LOG:  local connections are not supported by this build
>2017-05-23 11:02:10.397 EDT [4796] CONTEXT:  line 1 of configuration file "C:/PostgreSQL/10/data/pg_hba.conf"
>2017-05-23 11:02:10.398 EDT [4796] FATAL:  could not load pg_hba.conf
>2017-05-23 11:02:10.403 EDT [4796] LOG:  database system is shut down
>
>The line I added is the first line.
>" LOG:  local connections are not supported by this build" - is this related to my problems with CREATE SUBSCRIPTION?

Windows does not support "local" domain sockets as in Unix/Linux.

Local loopback connections on Windows are made using normal TCP or UDP
sockets.  You need to configure permissions as with any remote client,
only specifying the localhost addresses 127.0.0.1 and/or ::1.

George

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman
>Interestingly, when I add this line to pg_hba.conf:
>
>local    all             all           md5
>
>Postgres is not starting with the following error in the log file:
>
>2017-05-23 11:02:10.397 EDT [4796] LOG:  local connections are not
>supported by this build
>2017-05-23 11:02:10.397 EDT [4796] CONTEXT:  line 1 of configuration file "C:/PostgreSQL/10/data/pg_hba.conf"
>2017-05-23 11:02:10.398 EDT [4796] FATAL:  could not load pg_hba.conf
>2017-05-23 11:02:10.403 EDT [4796] LOG:  database system is shut down
>
>The line I added is the first line.
>" LOG:  local connections are not supported by this build" - is this related to my problems with CREATE SUBSCRIPTION?

Windows does not support "local" domain sockets as in Unix/Linux.

Local loopback connections on Windows are made using normal TCP or UDP sockets.  You need to configure permissions as
withany remote client, only specifying the localhost addresses 127.0.0.1 and/or ::1.

George

Well, I have that in pg_hba:

 # IPv4 local connections:
 host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
 host    all             repl_user             0.0.0.0/0            md5
 # IPv6 local connections
 host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5

Regards,
Igor

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/23/2017 08:15 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

> [...]

I think you are going to need to be more specific. I see pglogical as
the extension provided by 2ndQuadrant and builtin logical as provided by
the core server. If you are referring to the extension then see my post
upstream where I reference the pglogical issue that addresses this at
least partly.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/23/2017 01:38 PM, Igor Neyman wrote:
> [...]

So take the local line out of pg_hba. Then from the machine that is the
subscriber do:

psql -d repl -h pub_machine -p 5432 -U repl_user

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman
On 05/23/2017 08:15 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

actuallybeing requested?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

From the very beginning in this thread I was talking about logical replication built-in core server PG10 BETA, not
pglogicalextension.

Sorry, if I didn't make it clear.

Regards,
Igor

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman
So take the local line out of pg_hba. Then from the machine that is the subscriber do:

psql -d repl -h pub_machine -p 5432 -U repl_user

--
Adrian Klaver

adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Igor

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/24/2017 06:31 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

> [...]

Except the FDW connection string does not specify a user and I do
remember seeing a USER MAPPING that indicated what user you where
connecting as. Just making sure that the repl_user could connect to the
remote instance outside the logical replication framework.

At this point all I could think of is to start over:

1) DROP the PUBLICATION.

2) CREATE PUBLICATION
Check the Postgres log on the publisher side.

3) CREATE SUBSCRIPTION
Check the Postgres logs on both the publisher and subscription sides.

Another thought. Have you checked the Windows Firewall settings/logs to
see if it might be interfering?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman
On 05/24/2017 06:31 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

That's right. With FDW I specify user using, so it's practically the same:

CREATE USER MAPPING FOR repl_user SERVER pub_server OPTIONS (user 'repl_user', password 'blah');

I have the same user repl_user created on both servers.

1. DROP PUBLICATION ...

     Nothing on pg log

2. CREATE PUBLICATION my_first_publ FOR TABLE test_repl;  on publishing server

     Nothing in pg_log, publication created successfully.
     "select * from pg_catalog.pg_publication" returns info about " my_first_publ" publication.

3. CREATE SUBSCRIPTION...

    I turned on log_connections on both sides.
     In Publisher's log:

       2017-05-24 11:00:30.624 EDT [8840] LOG:  connection received: host=192.168.5.84 port=64923

     In Subscriber's pg log:

    ERROR:  could not connect to the publisher: could not send data to server: Socket is not connected
(0x00002749/10057)
    could not send SSL negotiation packet: Socket is not connected (0x00002749/10057)
     STATEMENT: CREATE SUBSCRIPTION ...

Now, when on subscriber machine I use FDW to read foreign table (from publishing machine), then in Publisher's log I
seethe following info about connection:

2017-05-24 11:02:30.849 EDT [5100] LOG:  connection received: host=192.168.5.84 port=64925
2017-05-24 11:02:30.856 EDT [5100] LOG:  connection authorized: user=repl_user database=repl

So, when using FDW Publisher's server logs both "connection received" and "connection authorized",
while when creating subscription Publisher logs only "connection received" and nothing else, even though both: FDW and
CREATESUBSCRIPTION - are using the same credentials (user=repl_user database=repl).

Any other thoughts?
Seems like a bug? I s there a place to report bugs for PG 10 BETA?

Regards,
Igor Neyman

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/24/2017 08:30 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:
> [...]

In a previous post you had:

CREATE SUBSCRIPTION my_furst_subs CONNECTION 'dbname=repl
host=pub_machine port=5432 user=repl_user' PUBLICATION my_first_publ;

I assumed you had a .pgpass file on the the subscriber side, is that the
case or are you using some other method to supply the password?

> Any other thoughts?

No this taps me out.

> Seems like a bug? I s there a place to report bugs for PG 10 BETA?

The bug reporting page:

https://www.postgresql.org/account/login/?next=/account/submitbug/
-

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Igor Neyman
On 05/24/2017 08:30 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

No this taps me out.

> Seems like a bug? I s there a place to report bugs for PG 10 BETA?

The bug reporting page:

https://www.postgresql.org/account/login/?next=/account/submitbug/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

I reported my problem as a bug (bug# 14669), but so far it doesn't seem to attract any interest.

Regards,
Igor Neyman

Re: [GENERAL] logical replication in PG10 BETA

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/25/2017 11:09 AM, Igor Neyman wrote:

> __________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> Adrian, thanks for trying to help.
>
> Even though the role I'm using (user=repl_user) has REPLICATION attribute,  I thought your question about .pgpass
filewas going to put me on a "right track" because I was not using/didn't have password file.

I may have steered you wrong on this. The more think about it the more I
realize that the server will probably not read the .pgpass file.

> So, I created one proper password file (it works fine when I'm trying to connect through psql with no password).
Unfortunately,it didn't make any difference for CREATE SUBSCRIPTION.

Two options come to mind to test whether the password is the problem:

1) Include the password in the connection string in CREATE SUBSCRIPTION.

2) Change the auth method in pg_hba.conf on the publisher server from
md5 to trust and reload the server.

Neither is optimal, still it is a starting point.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com