Обсуждение: Unsubscribe

Unsubscribe

От
"Luc Delgado"
Дата:
 Please unsubscribe me!  Thank you!

 Also, it would be better to have a message foot saying how to unsubscribe.

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:03:00 +0200,
  Luc Delgado <luc.delgado@aveyron.chambagri.fr> wrote:

>  Please unsubscribe me!  Thank you!

If you really can't figure out how to unsubscribe from a list, you should
contact the list owner, not the list. The list members can't unsubscribe you
(and it isn't their job to) and the owner may not be subscribed to the
list. The convention for lists is that adding '-owner' to the local part
of the list email address will be an address for the owner.
A good place to search to find out how to unsubscribe to a list is to search
for the mailing lists using google. Usually the information on how to subscribe
and unsubscribe are in the same place and you were able to find out how
to subscribe in the first place, so you should be able to figure out how
to unsubscribe by yourself as well.

>  Also, it would be better to have a message foot saying how to unsubscribe.

No, the standard is that the list information is kept in the headers so that
it can be extracted by mail clients that care to. There is an RFC describing
these headers. They are supplied by the mailing list software used for the
Postgres mailing lists. Have your mail client display full headers for one
of the list messages to get the instructions from there.

Re: Unsubscribe

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:03:00 +0200,
>   Luc Delgado <luc.delgado@aveyron.chambagri.fr> wrote:
>>  Please unsubscribe me!  Thank you!
>
> If you really can't figure out how to unsubscribe from a list, you should
> contact the list owner, not the list. The list members can't unsubscribe you
> (and it isn't their job to) and the owner may not be subscribed to the
> list.

Although I 100% agree with you Bruno, it should be noted that our lists
are a closed box for most people. They don't follow what is largely
considered standard amongst lists which is to have list information at
the bottom of each e-mail.

It is ridiculous that this community expects people to read email
headers to figure out how to unsubscribe from our lists.

> The convention for lists is that adding '-owner' to the local part
> of the list email address will be an address for the owner.
> A good place to search to find out how to unsubscribe to a list is to search
> for the mailing lists using google. Usually the information on how to subscribe
> and unsubscribe are in the same place and you were able to find out how
> to subscribe in the first place, so you should be able to figure out how
> to unsubscribe by yourself as well.

Nobody should have to work that hard to unsubscribe.

>>  Also, it would be better to have a message foot saying how to unsubscribe.

Yes, it definitely would.

> No, the standard is that the list information is kept in the headers so that
> it can be extracted by mail clients that care to. There is an RFC describing
> these headers. They are supplied by the mailing list software used for the
> Postgres mailing lists. Have your mail client display full headers for one
> of the list messages to get the instructions from there.

Who the heck cares what the RFC says. The RFC is irrelevant if the mail
clients don't support it. The clients that are most widely in use, do
not support unsubscribing from lists via the email headers.

Joshua D. Drake

>        match

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Tobias Brox
Дата:
To be a bit constructive, could it be an idea to add unsubscribe
information as one of the standard tailer tips?  Then unsubscribe info
wouldn't appear in every mail, but often enough for people considering
to unsubscribe.  To be totally non-constructive, let me add a bit to the
noise below:

[Bruno]
> > If you really can't figure out how to unsubscribe from a list, you should
> > contact the list owner, not the list. The list members can't unsubscribe you
> > (and it isn't their job to) and the owner may not be subscribed to the
> > list.

If he can't find out how to unsubscribe from the list, how can he be
expected to figure out the owner address?

[Joshua]
> It is ridiculous that this community expects people to read email
> headers to figure out how to unsubscribe from our lists.

I always check the headers when I want to unsubscribe from any mailing
list, and I think most people on this list have above average knowledge
of such technical details.  Of course, on a list with this many
recepients there will always be some exceptions ...

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Nolan Cafferky
Дата:
This seems to be the nearly unanimous response to people posting an unsubscribe request to the postgres mailing lists.  I emphatically agree with the argument - people should know better than that, and the information included in the e-mail headers should be more than sufficient. Every conceivable avenue of discovering how to unsubscribe, other than the list software attaching a footer on each e-mail, is available to pursue.

I also don't care about that argument in this situation. People ignorantly posting an unsubscribe to the list get this kind of response because it's an annoyance to the list users, not necessarily because we care about educating that particular person.  The posts obviously don't help future unsubscribers who aren't willing to track the information down anyway.  We should be addressing this from the standpoint of what benefits long-term list users the most. The real question is: which is more annoying to list users, the occasional unsubscribe posted to the list (with accompanying responses), or a one-line footer on each post providing a link to unsubscribe instructions?

--
Nolan Cafferky
Software Developer

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> [Joshua]
>> It is ridiculous that this community expects people to read email
>> headers to figure out how to unsubscribe from our lists.
>
> I always check the headers when I want to unsubscribe from any mailing
> list, and I think most people on this list have above average knowledge
> of such technical details.  Of course, on a list with this many
> recepients there will always be some exceptions ...

I would consider myself above average knowledge of such technical
details and I didn't know the list information was in the headers until
recently (the last time all of this came up).

Now, I of course did know that there were headers, and I can use them to
diagnose problems but I was unaware of an RFC that explicitly stated how
the headers were supposed to be sent for mailing lists.

However, that is besides the point. It is still ridiculous to expect
anyone to read the headers just to unsubscribe from a list.

If we didn't want to add it for each list we could just add a link here:

http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Unsubscribe

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> I also don't care about that argument in this situation. People
> ignorantly posting an unsubscribe to the list get this kind of response
> because it's an annoyance to the list users,

Over time especially now, we will see many more "users" versus
"developers". Most "users" will never know how (nor should they have to)
read email headers.

> benefits long-term list users the most. The real question is: which is
> more annoying to list users, the occasional unsubscribe posted to the
> list (with accompanying responses), or a one-line footer on each post
> providing a link to unsubscribe instructions?

Good point, because I guarantee you every time someone pulls this
elitist dung about email headers, I am going to step in and say something.

So if you want to shut me up, lets get the footer added.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Csaba Nagy
Дата:
> If we didn't want to add it for each list we could just add a link here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe

+1

When I want to unsubscribe from a list (very rare in my case, I don't
subscribe in the first place if I'm not sure I want to get it), I start
by looking where I subscribed... so the above suggestion might work
quite well even for lazy subscribers, they'll have their unsubscription
info right where they started the subscription process, no more
searching needed.

Cheers,
Csaba

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 08:30:03 -0700,
  "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Although I 100% agree with you Bruno, it should be noted that our lists
> are a closed box for most people. They don't follow what is largely
> considered standard amongst lists which is to have list information at
> the bottom of each e-mail.

There are reasons you don't want to do that. Footers work OK for single
part email messages. They don't make so much sense in multipart messages.
You can probably take a crap shoot and add the footer to the first
text/plain part and not break things. This won't work so well for multipart
alternative messages that have text/plain and text/html parts. You could
also try to insert a footer in to the html part, but thats a bit trickier
since you can't just put it at the end.

However, since the postgres lists are mostly just using text/plain parts
for message bodies and there are already footers being used to distribute
tips, it wouldn't make things significantly worse to add unsubscribe
information as well.

I would prefer just making the unsubscribe instructions easy to find on
the web.

Re: Unsubscribe

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:00:45 -0700
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> So if you want to shut me up, lets get the footer added.

Of course, that doesn't fix the problem 100%.  I am on lists that do
show that info in the footer and people still send unsubscribe messages
to the list.

By the way, mailman has a nice feature that sends messages that look
like admin requests (such as unsubscribe) to the admin.  That cuts down
on the noise quite a bit.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:00:45 -0700
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> So if you want to shut me up, lets get the footer added.
>
> Of course, that doesn't fix the problem 100%.  I am on lists that do
> show that info in the footer and people still send unsubscribe messages
> to the list.

Sure, but what is more helpful? A reply that snips everything but the
footer that has those instructions or a replay that shows email headers
that look basically like some weird code to users?

> By the way, mailman has a nice feature that sends messages that look
> like admin requests (such as unsubscribe) to the admin.  That cuts down
> on the noise quite a bit.

Well you don't have to convince me to use mailman ;)... but the *ahem*
list administrators of this project would rather have their toenails
removed with a dull spoon.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Unsubscribe

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> I would prefer just making the unsubscribe instructions easy to find on
> the web.

They actually reasonably are. If you go to www->community/support->lists

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Mark Lewis
Дата:
I'd prefer to have a short footer link called something like "Mailing
List Page" which would take you to a page where you could subscribe,
unsubscribe, or view the archives.  I think that making the link short
and also making it a quick shortcut away from the archives tips the
scales in terms of utility vs. annoyance.  One of the tips that shows up
in the footers today is just a link to the archives anyway.

-- Mark Lewis

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 11:28 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 08:30:03 -0700,
>   "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >
> > Although I 100% agree with you Bruno, it should be noted that our lists
> > are a closed box for most people. They don't follow what is largely
> > considered standard amongst lists which is to have list information at
> > the bottom of each e-mail.
>
> There are reasons you don't want to do that. Footers work OK for single
> part email messages. They don't make so much sense in multipart messages.
> You can probably take a crap shoot and add the footer to the first
> text/plain part and not break things. This won't work so well for multipart
> alternative messages that have text/plain and text/html parts. You could
> also try to insert a footer in to the html part, but thats a bit trickier
> since you can't just put it at the end.
>
> However, since the postgres lists are mostly just using text/plain parts
> for message bodies and there are already footers being used to distribute
> tips, it wouldn't make things significantly worse to add unsubscribe
> information as well.
>
> I would prefer just making the unsubscribe instructions easy to find on
> the web.

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Csaba Nagy
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 18:02, Csaba Nagy wrote:
> > If we didn't want to add it for each list we could just add a link here:
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe

OK, now that I had a second look on that page, it does contain
unsubscription info... but it's well hidden for the fugitive look... the
caption is a big "Subscribe to Lists", you wouldn't think at a first
glance think that the form is actually used to unsubscribe too, would
you ?

So maybe it's just that the text should be more explicit about what it
actually does...

Cheers,
Csaba.

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Oct 4, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I also don't care about that argument in this situation. People
>> ignorantly posting an unsubscribe to the list get this kind of
>> response
>> because it's an annoyance to the list users,
>
> Over time especially now, we will see many more "users" versus
> "developers". Most "users" will never know how (nor should they
> have to)
> read email headers.

They should know how to participate in mailing lists. That's
unrelated to whether you're a developer or a user.

The same webpage where you subscribe to a mailing list,
you can also unsubscribe. This is not some weird technical
voodoo, just that some people prefer to waste a thousand
other peoples time than spend a minute or two of their own.
Fortunately, they're a tiny minority.

>> benefits long-term list users the most. The real question is:
>> which is
>> more annoying to list users, the occasional unsubscribe posted to the
>> list (with accompanying responses), or a one-line footer on each post
>> providing a link to unsubscribe instructions?
>
> Good point, because I guarantee you every time someone pulls this
> elitist dung about email headers, I am going to step in and say
> something.
>
> So if you want to shut me up, lets get the footer added.

Judging from experience on other lists, it won't help. The tiny
minority of people who are unable to unsubscribe will continue
to be unable to unsubscribe. It won't hurt, though.

Cheers,
   Steve

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Geoffrey
Дата:
Steve Atkins wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>> I also don't care about that argument in this situation. People
>>> ignorantly posting an unsubscribe to the list get this kind of response
>>> because it's an annoyance to the list users,
>>
>> Over time especially now, we will see many more "users" versus
>> "developers". Most "users" will never know how (nor should they have to)
>> read email headers.
>
> They should know how to participate in mailing lists. That's
> unrelated to whether you're a developer or a user.
>
> The same webpage where you subscribe to a mailing list,
> you can also unsubscribe. This is not some weird technical
> voodoo, just that some people prefer to waste a thousand
> other peoples time than spend a minute or two of their own.
> Fortunately, they're a tiny minority.

I believe that if you could get an honest response, you'd find a lot of
these folks are just plain lazy.  They don't want to recall how to
unsubscribe and figure sending mail to the list will get the required
result.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Michael Stone
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 08:30:03AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>They don't follow what is largely
>considered standard amongst lists which is to have list information at
>the bottom of each e-mail.

In my experience such a footer doesn't do much to prevent people sending
unsubscribe messages to the list.

Mike Stone

Re: Unsubscribe

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Oct 4, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Csaba Nagy wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 18:02, Csaba Nagy wrote:
>>> If we didn't want to add it for each list we could just add a
>>> link here:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe
>
> OK, now that I had a second look on that page, it does contain
> unsubscription info... but it's well hidden for the fugitive
> look... the
> caption is a big "Subscribe to Lists", you wouldn't think at a first
> glance think that the form is actually used to unsubscribe too, would
> you ?
>
> So maybe it's just that the text should be more explicit about what it
> actually does...

Better yet, have an unsubscribe page...

Personally, I'm tempted to get creative with procmail, and post a
recipe that others can use to help enlighten those that post
unsubscribe messages to the list... :>
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net

Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Oct 4, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> [Joshua]
>>> It is ridiculous that this community expects people to read email
>>> headers to figure out how to unsubscribe from our lists.
>>
>> I always check the headers when I want to unsubscribe from any
>> mailing
>> list, and I think most people on this list have above average
>> knowledge
>> of such technical details.  Of course, on a list with this many
>> recepients there will always be some exceptions ...
>
> I would consider myself above average knowledge of such technical
> details and I didn't know the list information was in the headers
> until
> recently (the last time all of this came up).
>
> Now, I of course did know that there were headers, and I can use
> them to
> diagnose problems but I was unaware of an RFC that explicitly
> stated how
> the headers were supposed to be sent for mailing lists.
>
> However, that is besides the point. It is still ridiculous to expect
> anyone to read the headers just to unsubscribe from a list.
>
> If we didn't want to add it for each list we could just add a link
> here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe

An even better option would be to switch to a list manager that
actively traps these emails, such as mailman.

Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Oct 4, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Nolan Cafferky wrote:
> People ignorantly posting an unsubscribe to the list get this kind
> of response because it's an annoyance to the list users,

Back in the day, a friend of mine setup an unsubscribe mailing list,
with open membership. The idea was if you saw someone post an
unsubscribe message, you'd subscribe him to this list. He'd
eventually get email from it (which had unsub directions at the end
of every message) and then flail around trying to unsubscribe.

It made for very entertaining reading until his ISP got tired of the
complaints and made him shut it down.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net