Re: Unsubscribe

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Unsubscribe
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:03:00 +0200,
>   Luc Delgado <luc.delgado@aveyron.chambagri.fr> wrote:
>>  Please unsubscribe me!  Thank you!
>
> If you really can't figure out how to unsubscribe from a list, you should
> contact the list owner, not the list. The list members can't unsubscribe you
> (and it isn't their job to) and the owner may not be subscribed to the
> list.

Although I 100% agree with you Bruno, it should be noted that our lists
are a closed box for most people. They don't follow what is largely
considered standard amongst lists which is to have list information at
the bottom of each e-mail.

It is ridiculous that this community expects people to read email
headers to figure out how to unsubscribe from our lists.

> The convention for lists is that adding '-owner' to the local part
> of the list email address will be an address for the owner.
> A good place to search to find out how to unsubscribe to a list is to search
> for the mailing lists using google. Usually the information on how to subscribe
> and unsubscribe are in the same place and you were able to find out how
> to subscribe in the first place, so you should be able to figure out how
> to unsubscribe by yourself as well.

Nobody should have to work that hard to unsubscribe.

>>  Also, it would be better to have a message foot saying how to unsubscribe.

Yes, it definitely would.

> No, the standard is that the list information is kept in the headers so that
> it can be extracted by mail clients that care to. There is an RFC describing
> these headers. They are supplied by the mailing list software used for the
> Postgres mailing lists. Have your mail client display full headers for one
> of the list messages to get the instructions from there.

Who the heck cares what the RFC says. The RFC is irrelevant if the mail
clients don't support it. The clients that are most widely in use, do
not support unsubscribing from lists via the email headers.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/