Обсуждение: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
Stephan Doliov
Дата:
> Since we are tossing ideas around, here is my two cents.
> .1c In order not to worry about royalties we can donate proceeds to
> PostgreSQL.
Amen/Bravo!  This would truly be in the spirit of PostgreSQL

Regarding the books contents.  I think
I. Section 1 - Intro
1. Brief Overview History
2. Getting and Installing
3. Setting up a Database
4. Maintaining a Database
II. Section II - Making it work
1. Postgres' type system
2. Triggers & Functions
3. Embedded Scripting Languages
   a) pl/pgsql
   etc.
4. External access to postgres
   a) libpq
   b) libpq++
   c) odbc
   etc.
5. Interfacing PostgreSQL to the Web
   a) perl
   b) php3
   c) pygreSQL
   others
III. Reference and Tekkie Stuff
1. The built-in functions
2. Query Optimization
3. Postmaster tuning & performance issues
IV. New Features
This would be a section where people could insert information related to
the latest release.  Much like law reports have addenda inserts at the
back.

my $0.02

steve doliov

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
dustin sallings
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Stephan Doliov wrote:

    So, are we serious about this?  Should we start up a list for
details?

//

--
Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, dustin sallings wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Stephan Doliov wrote:
>
>     So, are we serious about this?  Should we start up a list for
> details?

    Like, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org :)  How much of what is already
done by the Docs Team pertinent to all this, and, if not, why not?  If our
existing manuals don't make good documentation, then why not, and
shouldn't those be fixed too?

 > > //
> // > Since we are tossing ideas around, here is my two cents.
> // > .1c In order not to worry about royalties we can donate proceeds to
> // > PostgreSQL.
> // Amen/Bravo!  This would truly be in the spirit of PostgreSQL
> //
> // Regarding the books contents.  I think
> // I. Section 1 - Intro
> // 1. Brief Overview History
> // 2. Getting and Installing
> // 3. Setting up a Database
> // 4. Maintaining a Database
> // II. Section II - Making it work
> // 1. Postgres' type system
> // 2. Triggers & Functions
> // 3. Embedded Scripting Languages
> //    a) pl/pgsql
> //    etc.
> // 4. External access to postgres
> //    a) libpq
> //    b) libpq++
> //    c) odbc
> //    etc.
> // 5. Interfacing PostgreSQL to the Web
> //    a) perl
> //    b) php3
> //    c) pygreSQL
> //    others
> // III. Reference and Tekkie Stuff
> // 1. The built-in functions
> // 2. Query Optimization
> // 3. Postmaster tuning & performance issues
> // IV. New Features
> // This would be a section where people could insert information related to
> // the latest release.  Much like law reports have addenda inserts at the
> // back.
> //
> // my $0.02
> //
> // steve doliov
> //
> //
> //
>
> --
> Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
> pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
> |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE
> L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
dustin sallings
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

//     Like, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org :)  How much of what is already
// done by the Docs Team pertinent to all this, and, if not, why not?
// If our existing manuals don't make good documentation, then why not,
// and shouldn't those be fixed too?

    It's not that the docs are bad, it's just that they're not on a
shelf.  :)

//  > > //
// > // > Since we are tossing ideas around, here is my two cents.
// > // > .1c In order not to worry about royalties we can donate proceeds to
// > // > PostgreSQL.
// > // Amen/Bravo!  This would truly be in the spirit of PostgreSQL
// > //
[...]
// >
// > --
// > Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
// > pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
// > |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE
// > L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __
// >
// >
//
// Marc G. Fournier
// Systems Administrator @ hub.org
// primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
//
//

--
Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
"Rudy Gireyev"
Дата:
Additionally manuals tend to be more of a reference whereas a book is
primarily a tutorial, then at the end it can contain reference type material.
If the book were to be written it would need complete and working examples
followed by the exact result for example.
Therefore I think it's a whole different animal and requires a list of its own.

Rudy

Date sent:          Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:32:40 -0800 (PST)
From:               dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
To:                 The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Copies to:          Stephan Doliov <statsol@statsol.com>, pgsql-novice@postgreSQL.org,
           pgsql-general@postgreSQL.org
Subject:            Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

> [...]
> // > pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
> // > |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE
> // > L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __
> // >
> // >
> //
> // Marc G. Fournier
> // Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> // primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
> //
> //
>
> --
> Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
> pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
> |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE

Re: [NOVICE] Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
Bill Sneed
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, dustin sallings wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Stephan Doliov wrote:
> >
> >       So, are we serious about this?  Should we start up a list for
> > details?
>
>         Like, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org :)  How much of what is already
> done by the Docs Team pertinent to all this, and, if not, why not?  If our
> existing manuals don't make good documentation, then why not, and
> shouldn't those be fixed too?

In the "FWIW Department" here's my $0.02.....

With the docs included in 6.4.2 and a good book or two on SQL &
database design I'm not really sure how much more you need to get a db
up and running.  For serious, professional developers, I presume they
already have most of the skills to use PG as a development platform
and just have to learn the nuances.  As PG simultaneously converges on
the SQL2/3 standard and goes its own enlightened way, I'm finding it
easier to use with each revision by referring to non-PG sources.

If the docs for PHP3 were as good as PostgreSQL's my little project
would be much further along but I see no reason why the folks at PG
should make up for PHP's shortcomings.

Questions still remain [like...why no outer joins & how to simulate
them] but these listservs have rescued me so far <G>   Perhaps a list
devoted to Stephan's items 3, 4, and 5 would be helpful?

....Bill Sneed Prospect, Maine....

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, dustin sallings wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> //     Like, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org :)  How much of what is already
> // done by the Docs Team pertinent to all this, and, if not, why not?
> // If our existing manuals don't make good documentation, then why not,
> // and shouldn't those be fixed too?
>
>     It's not that the docs are bad, it's just that they're not on a
> shelf.  :)

My point was that why re-create the wheel...why not bundle *those* up and
improve upon what is already there?

> [...]
> // >
> // >
> //
> // Marc G. Fournier
> // Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> // primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
> //
> //
>
> --
> Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
> pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
> |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE
> L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

Дата:
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Rudy Gireyev wrote:

> Additionally manuals tend to be more of a reference whereas a book is
> primarily a tutorial, then at the end it can contain reference type material.
> If the book were to be written it would need complete and working examples
> followed by the exact result for example.
> Therefore I think it's a whole different animal and requires a list of its own.

pgsql-docs is underused as it is (ie. its dead for the most part)...if it
was a crowded list, I'd say sure, but don't we have enough lists now, that
ppl don't know about? :(

> [...]
> > // >
> > // >
> > //
> > // Marc G. Fournier
> > // Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> > // primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
> > //
> > //
> >
> > --
> > Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
> > pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
> > |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE
> > L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

tc lewis
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>     Like, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org :)  How much of what is already
> done by the Docs Team pertinent to all this, and, if not, why not?  If our
> existing manuals don't make good documentation, then why not, and
> shouldn't those be fixed too?

since you asked, i don't like how the web page docs have each little
paragraph on a separate page.  for example, in the frame at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/programmer/index.html, i have to click on
"resources" to see that page, and then "terminology" is on a separate
page.  it would be nicer, imho, if each chapter was on one page and the
subchapters were just links to labels within that page.  for example, the
"1. introduction" and everything under it, "resources, terminology,
notation, ..." would all be on 1 page, instead of each on separate pages.

it's not a big deal i guess, it just seems really annoying to me when i'm
trying to read over stuff like that.

like, to me, mysql's documentation pages are laid out really well:
http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_toc.html

shrug.

-tcl.
tim@iuinc.com

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
Clark Evans
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, dustin sallings wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > //    Like, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org :)  How much of what is already
> > // done by the Docs Team pertinent to all this, and, if not, why not?
> > // If our existing manuals don't make good documentation, then why not,
> > // and shouldn't those be fixed too?
> >
> > It's not that the docs are bad, it's just that they're not on a
> > shelf.  :)
>
> My point was that why re-create the wheel...why not bundle *those* up and
> improve upon what is already there?

Yes.  Thomas put a ton of work into the documentation.

Two things:

A)  The current work is already using DocBook, which is what
O'Rilley would like to see.  This would be along term solution.

B)  Untill a book is published by O'Rilley, there are lots of
"print-on-demand" places that will do cardboard/thin binding
relatively inexpesively if we go with a volume of say, 100 books.
To do this, we would have to pay for the printing, shipping/handling,
and numerous other annoying costs.  To do this, you would want
to take a collection, etc.

There is a company on the web (my friend had this done) that will
print out books pre-paid in blocks of 50 and register them with
Amazon and Borders, etc.  It ends up being relatively expensive
though for small volume ($25/book up-front) and by the time
Amazon tacks on a 100% profit + shipping and handling the cost
is close to $60.00 per book.

C) Another option, is just use the local Kinko's.  It cost me almost
$50 to have Kinko's print my copy for me with holes double sided.

For that, we could easily setup a cgi script where you typed
in your address, and it sent your order to the nearest Kinko's
as a PDF file...

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
Stephan Doliov
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, dustin sallings wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Stephan Doliov wrote:
> >     So, are we serious about this?  Should we start up a list for
> > details?
>     Like, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org :)  How much of what is already
> done by the Docs Team pertinent to all this, and, if not, why not?  If our
> existing manuals don't make good documentation, then why not, and
> shouldn't those be fixed too?

Until web browsers are available on some device which folds in half like a
book and can be taken into places like bathtubs and beds and couces
without losing one's connection, books will have an enormous value.

The efforts of the docs teams has been tremendous and valuable beyond
description.  The existing docs are the right place to start.  It's
certainly worth it however to expand some sections, create new ones, and
edit existing ones.  From my point of view, the docs give one most all the
information one needs to work postgres/have postgres work for one, but
they are not to the point yet where spending several days with them makes
one feel comfortable using the postgres system.  It's kind of like a user
interface issue.  The docs aren't super friendly yet.

as always,
just my $0.02
steve doliov

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
Clark Evans
Дата:
Stephan Doliov wrote:
> The efforts of the docs teams has been tremendous and valuable beyond
> description.  The existing docs are the right place to start.  It's
> certainly worth it however to expand some sections, create new ones, and
> edit existing ones.  From my point of view, the docs give one most all the
> information one needs to work postgres/have postgres work for one, but
> they are not to the point yet where spending several days with them makes
> one feel comfortable using the postgres system.  It's kind of like a user
> interface issue.  The docs aren't super friendly yet.

Perhaps a "professional writer" is needed.  If people put up
advertisements at your local college, perhaps a few english
majors (*very* valueable people) would be interested in
helping out with the documentation.  It would look good
on their resume and would get them "published".

On a side note,  you could also advertise for Jouralism
majors to put out a monthly PostgreSQL newsletter!

Thoughts?

Clark

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
Stephan Doliov
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Gene Selkov Jr. wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Stephan Doliov wrote:
> > [snip likes holding books in hand and sniffing moldy pages]
>
> Good point, but for any argument there are counter-arguments, and it is
> sometimes so tempting to throw in a few good ones!
> [snip litany of reasons that books are a pain]

good points also.  maybe we don't need/want O'Reilly.  that's OK.
certainly having something that can be zapped to kinkos and bound to user
specs is wonderful.  that way the only people who really want booklike
stuff will have it and no publisher gets stuck with inventory of
unsaleable material.  but there is the mindshare factor.  an O'Reilly book
on the shelves would lend a lot of credibility to postgres (as if it
needed any).  and that would probably be worthwhile.  maybe someone is
interested in writing/editing and a target would be to publish when
postgres has pk/fk support, left and right joins and a few other features.

$0.02,
steve

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
Stephan Doliov
Дата:
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Rudy Gireyev wrote:

> So if I'm reading this correctly, the book idea is dead. Right?

hardly.  i think gene was being a little bit playful and i tried to point
out, as others have, the substantial point, which was acquiring mindshare
through the presence of an O'Reilly book.  I think it's worth doing,
especially if it is well planned and a first release would coincide with a
release of postgres that has the few features/standards it is presently
missing -- sort of an postgres has truly arrived party (much the way linux
has gained mindshare credibility among non hacker types in the past 18
months).

steve

Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
"Robert Chalmers"
Дата:
Just to let you know, I have two books in the pipeline now.
The first is in the nature of a "Guide", to learn the PgSQL version of sql,
and how to use it, from a non-technical pint of view. Basic administration,
creating, modifying, updating, relationships, odbc+access.
A book for the learning and end-user environment. In progress now. In the
Addison Wesley/T. Nelson style. Couple of months to get to print.

The second is the O'Reilly standard. In planning stage. Indepth - technical.
If you have seen "Sendmail" by O'Reilly, you know what I mean. Much longer
to get to print. Big project.

Bob
>On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Rudy Gireyev wrote:
>
>> So if I'm reading this correctly, the book idea is dead. Right?
>
>hardly.  i think gene was being a little bit playful and i tried to point
>out, as others have, the substantial point, which was acquiring mindshare
>through the presence of an O'Reilly book.  I think it's worth doing,
>especially if it is well planned and a first release would coincide with a
>release of postgres that has the few features/standards it is presently
>missing -- sort of an postgres has truly arrived party (much the way linux
>has gained mindshare credibility among non hacker types in the past 18
>months).
>
>steve

RE: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От
Michael Davis
Дата:
I would be interested in more information on these and any books that are or
may come available on Postgres.  Please keep us posted.