Re: [NOVICE] Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От Bill Sneed
Тема Re: [NOVICE] Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, dustin sallings wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Stephan Doliov wrote:
> >
> >       So, are we serious about this?  Should we start up a list for
> > details?
>
>         Like, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org :)  How much of what is already
> done by the Docs Team pertinent to all this, and, if not, why not?  If our
> existing manuals don't make good documentation, then why not, and
> shouldn't those be fixed too?

In the "FWIW Department" here's my $0.02.....

With the docs included in 6.4.2 and a good book or two on SQL &
database design I'm not really sure how much more you need to get a db
up and running.  For serious, professional developers, I presume they
already have most of the skills to use PG as a development platform
and just have to learn the nuances.  As PG simultaneously converges on
the SQL2/3 standard and goes its own enlightened way, I'm finding it
easier to use with each revision by referring to non-PG sources.

If the docs for PHP3 were as good as PostgreSQL's my little project
would be much further along but I see no reason why the folks at PG
should make up for PHP's shortcomings.

Questions still remain [like...why no outer joins & how to simulate
them] but these listservs have rescued me so far <G>   Perhaps a list
devoted to Stephan's items 3, 4, and 5 would be helpful?

....Bill Sneed Prospect, Maine....