Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Rudy Gireyev wrote:

> Additionally manuals tend to be more of a reference whereas a book is
> primarily a tutorial, then at the end it can contain reference type material.
> If the book were to be written it would need complete and working examples
> followed by the exact result for example.
> Therefore I think it's a whole different animal and requires a list of its own.

pgsql-docs is underused as it is (ie. its dead for the most part)...if it
was a crowded list, I'd say sure, but don't we have enough lists now, that
ppl don't know about? :(

> [...]
> > // and shouldn't those be fixed too?
> >
> >     It's not that the docs are bad, it's just that they're not on a
> > shelf.  :)
> >
> > //  > > //
> > // > // > Since we are tossing ideas around, here is my two cents.
> > // > // > .1c In order not to worry about royalties we can donate proceeds to
> > // > // > PostgreSQL.
> > // > // Amen/Bravo!  This would truly be in the spirit of PostgreSQL
> > // > //
> > // > // Regarding the books contents.  I think
> > // > // I. Section 1 - Intro
> > // > // 1. Brief Overview History
> > // > // 2. Getting and Installing
> > // > // 3. Setting up a Database
> > // > // 4. Maintaining a Database
> > // > // II. Section II - Making it work
> > // > // 1. Postgres' type system
> > // > // 2. Triggers & Functions
> > // > // 3. Embedded Scripting Languages
> > // > //    a) pl/pgsql
> > // > //    etc.
> > // > // 4. External access to postgres
> > // > //    a) libpq
> > // > //    b) libpq++
> > // > //    c) odbc
> > // > //    etc.
> > // > // 5. Interfacing PostgreSQL to the Web
> > // > //    a) perl
> > // > //    b) php3
> > // > //    c) pygreSQL
> > // > //    others
> > // > // III. Reference and Tekkie Stuff
> > // > // 1. The built-in functions
> > // > // 2. Query Optimization
> > // > // 3. Postmaster tuning & performance issues
> > // > // IV. New Features
> > // > // This would be a section where people could insert information related to
> > // > // the latest release.  Much like law reports have addenda inserts at the
> > // > // back.
> > // > //
> > // > // my $0.02
> > // > //
> > // > // steve doliov
> > // > //
> > // > //
> > // > //
> > // >
> > // > --
> > // > Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
> > // > pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
> > // > |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE
> > // > L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __
> > // >
> > // >
> > //
> > // Marc G. Fournier
> > // Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> > // primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
> > //
> > //
> >
> > --
> > Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
> > pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
> > |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE

Сообщение: Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?
Сообщение: Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?