Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

От Clark Evans
Тема Re: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, dustin sallings wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > //    Like, pgsql-docs@postgresql.org :)  How much of what is already
> > // done by the Docs Team pertinent to all this, and, if not, why not?
> > // If our existing manuals don't make good documentation, then why not,
> > // and shouldn't those be fixed too?
> >
> > It's not that the docs are bad, it's just that they're not on a
> > shelf.  :)
>
> My point was that why re-create the wheel...why not bundle *those* up and
> improve upon what is already there?

Yes.  Thomas put a ton of work into the documentation.

Two things:

A)  The current work is already using DocBook, which is what
O'Rilley would like to see.  This would be along term solution.

B)  Untill a book is published by O'Rilley, there are lots of
"print-on-demand" places that will do cardboard/thin binding
relatively inexpesively if we go with a volume of say, 100 books.
To do this, we would have to pay for the printing, shipping/handling,
and numerous other annoying costs.  To do this, you would want
to take a collection, etc.

There is a company on the web (my friend had this done) that will
print out books pre-paid in blocks of 50 and register them with
Amazon and Borders, etc.  It ends up being relatively expensive
though for small volume ($25/book up-front) and by the time
Amazon tacks on a 100% profit + shipping and handling the cost
is close to $60.00 per book.

C) Another option, is just use the local Kinko's.  It cost me almost
$50 to have Kinko's print my copy for me with holes double sided.

For that, we could easily setup a cgi script where you typed
in your address, and it sent your order to the nearest Kinko's
as a PDF file...