Обсуждение: pg_hba.conf

pg_hba.conf

I’m trying to access our test postgreSQL server via VPN and even though I already setup the host for the vpn’s ip address, I’m still getting an error similar to “host for vpn address does not exist”

What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks!

- Lily Anne

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 19:52, LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> I'm trying to access our test postgreSQL server via VPN and even though
> I already setup the host for the vpn's ip address, I'm still getting an
> error similar to "host for vpn address does not exist"
>
> What am I doing incorrectly?

The error similar to that that I am thinking of would indicate that the
ip address of your client machine does not fall into the scheme laid out
in your pg_hba.conf. Most likely you need to add your home machines ip
into the pg_hba.conf (or open up one of the existing entries to include
the machine your connecting from)

HTH

Robert Treat

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Дата:
Thanks Robert!

I did that as well and still didn't work. Any other ideas?

> I'm trying to access our test postgreSQL server via VPN and even
though
> I already setup the host for the vpn's ip address, I'm still getting
an
> error similar to "host for vpn address does not exist"
>
> What am I doing incorrectly?

The error similar to that that I am thinking of would indicate that the
ip address of your client machine does not fall into the scheme laid out
in your pg_hba.conf. Most likely you need to add your home machines ip
into the pg_hba.conf (or open up one of the existing entries to include
the machine your connecting from)

HTH

Robert Treat

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
can you ping the server that postgresql is living on?  or maybe your
misrepresenting the error message...  what program are you using to try and
connect? can you verify that tcpip_sockets is turned on the server? also, if
it is a database problem there will be an exact error message being reported
in the logs of type FATAL, can you send us that?

Robert Treat

On Friday 21 May 2004 17:01, LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> Thanks Robert!
>
> I did that as well and still didn't work. Any other ideas?

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Дата:
Yes I can ping the server if not connected via VPN.

I'm using EMS PostgreSQL Manager, which works if not via VPN.

Yes, postgresql.conf's tcpip_socket = true.

The log says: FATAL: No pg_hba.conf entry for host 10.29.15.113, user
postgres, database TEST.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
- Lily Anne

can you ping the server that postgresql is living on?  or maybe your
misrepresenting the error message...  what program are you using to try
and
connect? can you verify that tcpip_sockets is turned on the server?
also, if
it is a database problem there will be an exact error message being
reported
in the logs of type FATAL, can you send us that?

Robert Treat

On Friday 21 May 2004 17:01, LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> Thanks Robert!
>
> I did that as well and still didn't work. Any other ideas?

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Mike G
Дата:
Your ip address range is probably different when connecting via a VPN rather than in the office.  By default postgres
willnot allow connections from other locations even if tcpip_socket is true without specifying an ip address range,
databaseetc.

Checkout the docs.  There is a section on pg_hba.conf.

Mike

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 01:02:12PM -0400, LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> Yes I can ping the server if not connected via VPN.
>
> I'm using EMS PostgreSQL Manager, which works if not via VPN.
>
> Yes, postgresql.conf's tcpip_socket = true.
>
> The log says: FATAL: No pg_hba.conf entry for host 10.29.15.113, user
> postgres, database TEST.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Regards,
> - Lily Anne

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Дата:
Thanks Mike!

I already specified the IP address that was specified by my VPN
connection. I read through the docs and found nothing about anything
special with VPN connections.

Regards,
- Lily Anne

broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: pg_hba.conf

Дата:
<LSanchez@ameritrade.com> writes:
> I already specified the IP address that was specified by my VPN
> connection.

This is a long shot, but ... did you remember to SIGHUP the postmaster
after editing pg_hba.conf to allow that IP address?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Дата:
Yes sir, did that, too.

Thanks,
- Lily Anne

> I already specified the IP address that was specified by my VPN
> connection.

This is a long shot, but ... did you remember to SIGHUP the postmaster
after editing pg_hba.conf to allow that IP address?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
I am thinking that the entry for this ip has an issue with the username and/or
database specified in the line (or maybe conflicting entries?)  Would you
mind posting your complete pg_hba.conf to the list?

Robert Treat

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 10:50, LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> Yes sir, did that, too.
>
> Thanks,
> - Lily Anne

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Дата:
Here it is....

Thanks! :)

I am thinking that the entry for this ip has an issue with the username
and/or
database specified in the line (or maybe conflicting entries?)  Would
you
mind posting your complete pg_hba.conf to the list?

Robert Treat

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 10:50, LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> Yes sir, did that, too.
>
> Thanks,
> - Lily Anne

Re: pg_hba.conf

Дата:
<LSanchez@ameritrade.com> writes:
> Here it is....

> host   all      all             10.29.15.0      255.255.255.0  trust

That line certainly ought to match your connection.  I think this has
got to be pilot error: either you didn't SIGHUP the postmaster or you
are editing the wrong copy of the file.  (The right copy is
$PGDATA/pg_hba.conf.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Дата:
Um, I restarted postmaster so many times already after I made the entry
and this is the only pg_hba.conf file in our server (you're right,
$PGDATA/pg_hba.conf). It's a brand new server that had just been built.

Have you tried connecting to your pgSQL server via VPN?

Thanks!

> host   all      all             10.29.15.0      255.255.255.0  trust

That line certainly ought to match your connection.  I think this has
got to be pilot error: either you didn't SIGHUP the postmaster or you
are editing the wrong copy of the file.  (The right copy is
$PGDATA/pg_hba.conf.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Дата:
Or it might be a security issue with how our VPN is setup. I'll talk to
our security folks and see what they will find.

Thanks!

> host   all      all             10.29.15.0      255.255.255.0  trust

That line certainly ought to match your connection.  I think this has
got to be pilot error: either you didn't SIGHUP the postmaster or you
are editing the wrong copy of the file.  (The right copy is
$PGDATA/pg_hba.conf.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
jseymour@LinxNet.com (Jim Seymour)
Дата:
<LSanchez@ameritrade.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mike!
>
> I already specified the IP address that was specified by my VPN
> connection. I read through the docs and found nothing about anything
> special with VPN connections.

Which address?  The address at your end of the connection may not be
the same as the address at the other end: The end trying to connect to
the pgsql server.

It appears from this

    "The log says: FATAL: No pg_hba.conf entry for host 10.29.15.113, ..."

the pgsql server sees (or saw) you coming from 10.29.15.113.  So is
that address, or a superset of it, in pg_hba.conf?  Has the server been
kicked in the pants to recognize the config change since it was added?

Jim

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
mike g
Дата:
Hmm....

Looks like I am still in the same boat you are.

I still cannot log into my db over a VPN connection using pgadminIII.

Everytime I try and connect I get a "Server terminated connection
unexpectedly error".

I originally received the pg_hba.conf entry complaint as well but after
adding and restarting the system the above is all I get.

I tried specifying pgadmin to prefer SSL connection, and changed
pg_hba.conf entry to expect SSL from my VPN connection entry.

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 08:42, LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> Thanks Mike!
>
> I already specified the IP address that was specified by my VPN
> connection. I read through the docs and found nothing about anything
> special with VPN connections.
>
> Regards,
> - Lily Anne

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
mike g
Дата:
Hello,

I believe I found my problem.  The Cisco VPN client I use encrypts data
at a 168 bit level.  Postgres only supports up to 128 bit correct?

Mike

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 23:12, mike g wrote:
> Hmm....
>
> Looks like I am still in the same boat you are.
>
> I still cannot log into my db over a VPN connection using pgadminIII.
>
> Everytime I try and connect I get a "Server terminated connection
> unexpectedly error".
>
> I originally received the pg_hba.conf entry complaint as well but after
> adding and restarting the system the above is all I get.
>
> I tried specifying pgadmin to prefer SSL connection, and changed
> pg_hba.conf entry to expect SSL from my VPN connection entry.
>

> On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 08:42, LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> > Thanks Mike!
> >
> > I already specified the IP address that was specified by my VPN
> > connection. I read through the docs and found nothing about anything
> > special with VPN connections.
> >
> > Regards,
> > - Lily Anne

That's your VPN's end-to-end/network-to-network connectivity.  It has
nothing to do with PostgreSQL at all.

(Note: Please do NOT copy me on replies.  I do read the mailing
list.)

Jim

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Дата:
Thanks Mike!

Do you know if pgSQL will be supporting higher level of encryption in
the near future? Most of us here at Ameritrade work from home via VPN.

broadcast)---------------------------
> > TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Re: pg_hba.conf

Дата:
LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> Thanks Mike!
>
> Do you know if pgSQL will be supporting higher level of encryption in
> the near future? Most of us here at Ameritrade work from home via VPN.

We support SSL so you don't need VPN encryption.  However, we should
work with whatever VPN encryption you are already using too.

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:27:41 -0400,
  LSanchez@ameritrade.com wrote:
> Thanks Mike!
>
> Do you know if pgSQL will be supporting higher level of encryption in
> the near future? Most of us here at Ameritrade work from home via VPN.

The client can use ssl. That supports 128 bit keys which is plenty.
Any adversary that has the resources to brute force a 128bit key has
the resources to do black bag jobs for a lower cost. If there are other
weaknesses besides brute force attacks, increasing the key size alone
isn't going to magicly make things better.

What kinds of threats are you trying to protect against? If you are using
an encrypted link already, using ssl isn't going to add much security.

Just allowing people to connect to the database directly is a significant
risk. It is made worse by letting people do it home where the machines
may not be safely operated by the users, which are not physically secured
and for which maitainance is harder (or not being done by the company).

If you are worried about people stealing hardware with information on it,
you should be considering better physical security, proper procedures
for destroying old media and consider using encrypted file systems.

If you are looking for ideas for how to hide information from authroized
users of a database while letting them use it for some things, Peter Wayner's
book Translucent Databases might be of some interest.

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
> Do you know if pgSQL will be supporting higher level of encryption in
> the near future? Most of us here at Ameritrade work from home via VPN.

We support SSL so you don't need VPN encryption.  However, we should
work with whatever VPN encryption you are already using too.

  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
19073

Re: pg_hba.conf

От
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Note: Please do NOT Cc: me on replies to the mailing list.  I read the
mailing list.  One copy of your comments is sufficient.  Thank you.

> Thanks Mike!
>
> Do you know if pgSQL will be supporting higher level of encryption in
> the near future? Most of us here at Ameritrade work from home via VPN.=20

As I told "mike g": pgsql's encryption has *nothing* to do with your
VPN's encryption.  I'm running a sort of a VPN, using port-
forwarding over OpenSSH.  In fact, from work just now...

From an xterm...
$ ssh -C -c blowfish -2 -L 57001:athome.example.com:5432 athome.example.com

What that command says is to do an SSH login to athome.example.com
and port-forward port 57001 on the local machine to port 5432 on
athome.example.com.  The "-C" says to use data compression on the
session.  The "-c blowfish" says to encrypt the session using the
Blowfish encryption algorithm.