Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I think that #1 and #4 could be substantially alleviated if the
> >> instructions recommended doing a trial run with a schema-only dump
> >> of the database.  That is,
> >>
> >> * pg_dumpall -s
> >> * load that into a test installation (of the *old* PG version)
> >> * migrate the test installation to new PG version
> >> * do the same sorts of applications compatibility checks you'd want to
> >> do anyway before a major version upgrade
>
> > But you have no data in the database --- can any meaningful testing be
> > done?
>
> Well, you'd have to insert some.  But this is something you'd have to do
> *anyway*, unless you are willing to just pray that your apps don't need
> any changes.  The only new thing I'm suggesting here is incorporating
> use of pg_migrator into your normal compatibility testing.

Ah, I see.  Interesting.  I have added the second sentence to the
pg_migrator README:
Installation------------See the INSTALL file for detailed installation instructions.  Fordeployment testing, create a
schema-onlycopy of the old cluster, insertdummy data, and migrate that.

http://enterprisedb.com

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib