Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

От Dimitri Fontaine
Тема Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Дата
Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on this.
>>
>>> Or at least, have it exit and say "if you know that these things are
>>> reasonably safe, run pg_migrator again with --force" or something like that.
>>
>> I don't think that anything in that line is going to be helpful.
>> What it will lead to is people mindlessly using --force (cf our
>> bad experiences with -i for pg_dump).  If you can't give a *useful*
>> ie trustworthy warning/error, issuing a useless one is not a good
>> substitute.
>
> Well, in that case, error out would be a better option than doing it and
> probably fail later. And have a --force option available, but don't
> suggest it.

My vote would go to detect and error out without recovering option. If
the tool is not able to handle a situation and knows it, I don't see
what would be good about it leting the user lose data on purpose.

The --force option should be for the user to manually drop his columns
and indexes (etc) and try pg_migrator again, which will stop listing
faulty objects but care about the now compatible cluster.

Restoring the lost data is not the job of pg_migrator, of course.

Regards,
--
dim