Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Дата
Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Le 6 juin 09 à 20:45, Josh Berkus a écrit :
>> So, here's what we need for 8.3 --> 8.4 for contrib modules:
>
> That does nothing for external modules whose code isn't in PostgreSQL
> control. I'm thinking of those examples I cited up-thread --- and some
> more. (ip4r, temporal, prefix, hstore-new, oracfe, etc).

For me and I know several others, the big question would be PostGIS.
Unfortunately I haven't had the time to run any tests myself, so I'll
join the line of people being worried, but I have a number of customers
with somewhere between pretty and very large PostGIS databases that
could really benefit from pg_migrator.

As long as PostGIS is the same version in both of them, is pg_migrator
is likely to work? (one can always run the PostGIS upgrade as a separate
step)

> Could pg_migrator detect usage of "objects" oids (data types in
> relation, index opclass, ...) that are unknown to be in the standard
> -core + contrib distribution, and quit trying to upgrade the cluster in
> this case, telling the user his database is not supported?

+1 on this.

Or at least, have it exit and say "if you know that these things are
reasonably safe, run pg_migrator again with --force" or something like that.

-- Magnus HaganderSelf: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/