Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Дата
Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> I did know that EDB had been using the tool for a while, but I admit
> I'm not familiar with the whole history.  I had the impression that
> we'd gotten a lot more serious about really making this rock solid
> since Bruce took it in February.  But maybe that's not the case?

I don't actually know the EDB end of the history either; maybe someone
can educate us about that.  But it's true that the core developers,
at least, weren't taking it seriously until this year.  That's because
it really can only handle catalog changes, not changes to the contents
of user tables; and it's been quite a long time since we've had a
release where we didn't change tuple header layout or packing rules or
something that made it a nonstarter.  It wasn't clear till early this
year that 8.3->8.4 would be a cycle where pg_migrator had a chance of
being useful in production ... so we got serious about it.

(I do not know whether EDB ever really used it in production.  If they
did, it must have been for private updates that changed catalogs and
not user data.)