Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > So, here's what we need for 8.3 --> 8.4 for contrib modules:
>
> > 1) make a list of contrib modules which do not convert cleanly (testers?)
> > 2) document these.
> > 3) give pg_migrator some hackish way to install 8.4 contrib modules from
> > source before copying over the database.
> > 4) set pg_migrator to ignore duplicate object warnings if it does the above.
>
> 1A) consider whether we can reduce/eliminate the conversion problems.
> We have five days.
>
> I don't think we need testing, per se.  The first step should be to diff
> the 8.3 and 8.4 versions of the various contrib .sql.in files and
> determine what changed.  Any module whose .sql.in file hasn't changed
> is definitely safe.

I am a little hesistant to do one-off adjustments for /contrib changes
between versions.  The INSTALL instructions are pretty clear of how to
fix problems like dblink.

A more complex case would be if hstore couldn't be migrated, and there
is no way to drop that type and reinstall on the new system without
dropping your data too, but again, I don't see how we have any way to
fix that for 8.4 anyway.

http://enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib