From: Arquimedes Aguirre
Sent: Sunday, April 9, 2023 5:59 PM
To: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org
Subject: Error

Hello there Dear!

I have an error initializing PSQL shell, who can help me to solve it.

Please I require your attention, I need to start developing a project, apparently there is a hacker that is intervening in this process, I appreciate your investigation some research and answer.

Just to install the program, I got several errors without any common sense, I asked the Microsoft support team for help and in 5 minutes they solved the problem, it's very weird and odd. Apparently they have control of my personal computer.

I hope that you can pay due attention to these problems that do not allow me to advance in what I want to develop for my project. I hope you can find the person responsible for these abnormalities.

Thanks!

Sent from Mail for Windows

Вложения

Re: FW: Error!

От
Ron
Дата:
Are you sure that you're entering the correct password?

@font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline;}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only;}div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;}

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
On 4/10/23 17:55, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows

If MS support solved it why are you asking how to solve it?

FYI, do not use images for textual information, copy and paste the text
from the terminal .

I don't see any evidence of a hacker. I do see evidence of incorrect
passwords being used.

Did you install Postgres from here?:

https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

If so at some point in the process you where asked to create a password.
Use that password when invoking the psql shell command with the user
being the default postgres.

> I hope that you can pay due attention to these problems that do not
> allow me to advance in what I want to develop for my project. I hope you
> can find the person responsible for these abnormalities.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: FW: Error!

От
Kirk Wolak
Дата:
[...]

My recommendation is to connect with full details:
psql -h localhost  -U postgres postgres

Note the username is postgres and the DBname is postgres (the last parameter).
I would even go so far as:
psql -h 127.0.0.1 -U postgres postgres

Because IPV6 might not be bound as expected.

This simply gets rid of the GUESSING of what PSQL might be trying to do.  Like connecting to a different database, or logging in as a user that does not exist.
HTH

RE: FW: Error!

От
Arquimedes Aguirre

Hello Dear!

I attach the errors that the system threw me when installing the Postgresql program.

I was installing it on the same website as the link you sent me.

I am using the same password that I used to create the password and despite that it throws me the same error.

Thanks! I hope you can help me solve this error that does not allow me to move forward, sorry for the inconveniences.

Thanks again, best regards!

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 4/10/23 17:55, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows

Greg Hennessy

Just to install the program, I got several errors without any common sense, I asked the Microsoft support team for help and in 5 minutes they solved the problem, it's very weird and odd. Apparently they have control of my personal computer.

Are you sure you were talking to Microsoft, rather than a hacker who claimed they were
Microsoft?

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/12/23 14:47, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Hello Dear!
>
> I attach the errors that the system threw me when installing the
> Postgresql program.

The  first screenshot is about pgAdmin which is a Postgres client not
Postgres. Also it is from 2023-02-19, so has anything changed since then?

The second screenshot shows you actually connecting to Postgres so I
don't see an error.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

RE: FW: Error!

От
Arquimedes Aguirre

Hi Dear!

I was able to install the postgresql program and admin 4, as I told you before, but I got this type of error more than 30 times downloading various versions of postgresql that are in the link that you sent me, that's why I had to ask for help from Microsoft Team team, since it is a rather weird and odd situation. Now I have this problem with the psql shell I can't start the program but it don’t allows me to proceed with the password, which is the same one that I set from the beginning, now what should I do to fix this once and for all???.

Thanks!

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/15/23 07:39, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Hi Dear!
>
> I was able to install the postgresql program and admin 4, as I told you
> before, but I got this type of error more than 30 times downloading
> various versions of postgresql that are in the link that you sent me,

This is the part that confuses me. You said you had it working.

At that point could you log in using psql with the password?

Then you went into the MS dance of reinstalling/rebooting with no
explanation of what prompted that initial reinstall?

Was it:

1) The password did not work

2) Something else?

Can you currently log in via pgAdmin4?

Also what version of Postgres are you currently using?

Is that different from the one you initially started with?

> that's why I had to ask for help from Microsoft Team team, since it is a
> rather weird and odd situation. Now I have this problem with the psql
> shell I can't start the program but it don’t allows me to proceed with

 From your previous posts you show you can start the shell script that
runs psql and that psql actually starts it just do not connect due to
password error.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

RE: FW: Error!

От
Arquimedes Aguirre

Hi Dear

If I have the postgres and admin 4 program running with the password that I set from the beginning, but when I want to start the psql shell and set the same password, it throws me the error, I send the screen I think it's self explanatory .

I repeat that when I put the password, which is the same one that I configured at the beginning, it throws me the error that I sent you on the screen of my first communication or email.

The password does not work because it does not accept the one that I established from the beginning when I installed postgres and admin 4 and it does not allow me to proceed in the psql shell, again I tell you I sent you the screen with the error.

If I can log in to the pgadmin 4 program, I don't have a problem with that.

My approach to the problem has always been the same, the password that I established from the beginning when I installed postgres and pgadmin 4 is the one that I am using to start in the psql shell and it is not accepted, which is why it does not allow me to move forward, I hope these clarifications help you allow you to understand and attend to the problem that is being presented to me with these tools.

Then you went into the MS dance of reinstalling/rebooting with no

explanation of what prompted that initial reinstall? I don’t understand what do you want mean? I have never reinstalling/rebooting, what I said in the email is that I had to install and uninstall it several times due to the errors that were thrown at me, I also sent the screenshot.

Thanks!

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 4/15/23 07:39, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Hi Dear!
>
> I was able to install the postgresql program and admin 4, as I told you
> before, but I got this type of error more than 30 times downloading
> various versions of postgresql that are in the link that you sent me,

This is the part that confuses me. You said you had it working.

At that point could you log in using psql with the password?

Then you went into the MS dance of reinstalling/rebooting with no
explanation of what prompted that initial reinstall?

Was it:

1) The password did not work

2) Something else?

Can you currently log in via pgAdmin4?

Also what version of Postgres are you currently using?

Is that different from the one you initially started with?

> that's why I had to ask for help from Microsoft Team team, since it is a
> rather weird and odd situation. Now I have this problem with the psql
> shell I can't start the program but it don’t allows me to proceed with

 From your previous posts you show you can start the shell script that

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/15/23 15:28, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Hi Dear
>
> If I have the postgres and admin 4 program running with the password
> that I set from the beginning, but when I want to start the psql shell
> and set the same password, it throws me the error, I send the screen I
> think it's self explanatory .

If it where I would not have asked. Nowhere in your opening messages did
you mention you could connect using pgAdmin4.

> If I can log in to the pgadmin 4 program, I don't have a problem with that.

So what user are you logging in as from pgAdmin4?

Also what connection parameters are you using in pgAdmin4?

Your email said differently:

'... but I got this type of error more than 30 times downloading various
versions of postgresql that are in the link that you sent me.'

Or did you just download for the fun of it and not actually install.

How many versions of Postgres do you have installed now?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

RE: FW: Error!

От
Arquimedes Aguirre

Adrian

I am new using this postgres program and pgadmin 4 sorry, I am starting to use it.

In your first question, you mean that in my initial messages I did not mention that I can connect using pgadmin 4. I think you mean that I say that the postgres and pgadmin 4 programs are running. I have pgadmin 4 open at the moment that I open the psql shell and I perform the process for the password that does not allow me to proceed. When I say that it is running, it is that I have it open and I put the password that I established from the beginning and it works in pgadmin 4. I attach a screen print when I open the pgadmin 4 program.

In your second question I tell you that I don't have a user for logging, only when I start the pgadmin 4 program it asks me for the password. attached the screen print.

Three question; Where can I see what connection parameters I am using in pgAdmin4? I don't know where I can see that information, please if you can tell me, I can locate it and give you that information.

Four question: I am doing a project and I need the programs working correctly, that's it.

Five question: Just a Postgresql 15.

Thanks! for your attention! and collaboration!

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Вложения

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/15/23 16:56, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Adrian
>
> I am new using this postgres program and pgadmin 4 sorry, I am starting
> to use it.

First to be clear Postgres is the database server and pgAdmin4 is just a
client for that server, a GUI in this case.

> In your first question, you mean that in my initial messages I did not
> mention that I can connect using pgadmin 4. I think you mean that I say
> that the postgres and pgadmin 4 programs are running. I have pgadmin 4
> open at the moment that I open the psql shell and I perform the process
> for the password that does not allow me to proceed. When I say that it
> is running, it is that I have it open and I put the password that I
> established from the beginning and it works in pgadmin 4. I attach a
> screen print when I open the pgadmin 4 program.

That is the screen to open the pgAdmin4 program. You need to enter the
password to get into the pgAdmin4 program.

> In your second question I tell you that I don't have a user for logging,
> only when I start the pgadmin 4 program it asks me for the password.
> attached the screen print.

Do you have a password that gets you to the pgAdmin4 screen where you
can click on the Servers tab under Browser?

It is a user for login not logging

> Three question; Where can I see what connection parameters I am using in
> pgAdmin4? I don't know where I can see that information, please if you
> can tell me, I can locate it and give you that information.

That will be in the Properties for each server when you expand the
Servers tree.

Expand Servers, the right click on a server name to get to Properties.,
You can also Connect Server from the right click menu. Try that and see
if you get a connection to a server.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

RE: FW: Error!

От
Arquimedes Aguirre

Hi Dear Good Morning!

Could you be more specific or explain in more detail? what should I’ll do to be done, when you do this approach, please.

That is the screen to open the pgAdmin4 program. You need to enter the
password to get into the pgAdmin4 program.

Where can I  do that in the system, in which part exactly? at pgadmin 4, for that I request can be more specific, please.

I don't have a user, I just enter the password in the box that I show you on the screen. What would be the username I should use to log in?

Do you have a password that gets you to the pgAdmin4 screen where you
can click on the Servers tab under Browser?

It is a user for login not logging

That will be in the Properties for each server when you expand the
Servers tree.

Expand Servers, the right click on a server name to get to Properties.,
You can also Connect Server from the right click menu. Try that and see
if you get a connection to a server.

I did do and show you the screen, How I found the connection that you are describing in your answer to this email?

How to know if I have connection or not connection? May you explain for more details? please.

I attach a screen what I did…

Thanks for his attention and collaboration!

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Вложения

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/22/23 07:31, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Hi Dear Good Morning!

Please do not top post. Either bottom or inline post per:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

> How to know if I have connection or not connection? May you explain for
> more details? please.

 From the screenshot you have two Postgres servers active, PostgreSQL 15
and punta. In the punta server you have two databases django-active and
postgres. FYI, you don't want to add tables to the postgres database.
It's primary purpose is to be a database you can connect to in the
absence of other databases. The screenshot also shows you are connected
to the databases. If you were not there would be a red x on the icon
next to the database name. To get down to the tables you will need to
click on Schemas and then Public. There will a series of items below
that including Tables. Click on that and pick the table you want to work
with. All of this is spelled out in more detail here:

https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/6.21/index.html

Also you probably also look at the Properties for the PostgreSQL 15
server shown in the screenshot to see what host and port it is running on.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

RE: FW: Error!

От
Arquimedes Aguirre

Hi Dear

Ok thanks so much for the explanation, but I don't understand, what does that connection have to do with the error that I described at the beginning, it gives me a password error with any user, what should I do to solve this problem and be able to start the connection?.

I would like to know other opinions from other people since this is a bigger large list of help users regarding this matter.

With any user that I enter, I get the same error when I go to enter the password.

In the link that you sent, there is the operation of the entire program pgadmin 4 and it is very good, but where I can see some explanation in detail to the problem that is being presented to me, at what point exactly could be the answers or support for this type of failure

Thanks so much for attention and collaboration!

Best regards!

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 4/22/23 07:31, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Hi Dear Good Morning!

Please do not top post. Either bottom or inline post per:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

> How to know if I have connection or not connection? May you explain for
> more details? please.

 From the screenshot you have two Postgres servers active, PostgreSQL 15

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/24/23 15:00, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Hi Dear
>
> Ok thanks so much for the explanation, but I don't understand, what does
> that connection have to do with the error that I described at the
> beginning, it gives me a password error with any user, what should I do
> to solve this problem and be able to start the connection?.

Well your problem description has changed over the course of this
conversation so at this point I don't really know what the error is that
you are referring to.

USING TEXT not screenshots provide the command you are having the
problem with and the error message you are getting.

You also need to be more specific about what connection as the last
screenshot you provided showed you where connected using pgAdmin4.

> I would like to know other opinions from other people since this is a
> bigger large list of help users regarding this matter.

1) I'm going to say as a generalization the  users on this list probably:

    a) Don't use pgAdmin4.
       and/or
    b) Don't use Windows.

2) There is a pgAdmin support list

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgadmin-support/

> With any user that I enter, I get the same error when I go to enter the
> password.
>
> In the link that you sent, there is the operation of the entire program
> pgadmin 4 and it is very good, but where I can see some explanation in
> detail to the problem that is being presented to me, at what point
> exactly could be the answers or support for this type of failure

Without knowing the command used and the error message it will be
difficult to point at a documented answer.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

RE: FW: Error!

От
Arquimedes Aguirre

No, it has not changed the error that I have been experiencing since the beginning. This is the error:

psql: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "punta" Press any key to continue . .

Has always been the same error

I got question, because can’t you send a screenshots, with the image it’s much easier to identify the error or problem and you can also read the message, I don’t understand?

Thanks!

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/24/23 16:16, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> No, it has not changed the error that I have been experiencing since the
> beginning. This is the error:
>
> psql: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432
> failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "punta" Press any
> key to continue . .

1) To be clear what password are you using the master password you set
up for pgAdmin4 or the one for the Postgres server/database you are
trying to connect to?

2) Did you create a password for the punta user on that server?

3) Find the pg_hba.conf file for that server and post it as text.

> Has always been the same error
>
> I got question, because can’t you send a screenshots, with the image
> it’s much easier to identify the error or problem and you can also read
> the message, I don’t understand?

Many folks on this list only use text email so screenshots have to be
opened in another program. Also it is simple to get the text. In the
terminal/console right click and click on Select All and then hit Enter
to copy the content and then paste to your email.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: FW: Error!

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
> On 25/04/2023 01:34 CEST Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> On 4/24/23 16:16, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> > I got question, because can’t you send a screenshots, with the image
> > it’s much easier to identify the error or problem and you can also read
> > the message, I don’t understand?
>
> Many folks on this list only use text email so screenshots have to be
> opened in another program. Also it is simple to get the text. In the
> terminal/console right click and click on Select All and then hit Enter
> to copy the content and then paste to your email.

And this list is text searchable which helps others who may stumble on the
same or a similar issue in the future.

--
Erik

Re: FW: Error!

От
postgresql439848@heinz-it.de
Дата:
Am 25.04.23 um 01:16 schrieb Arquimedes Aguirre:
No, it has not changed the error that I have been experiencing since the beginning. This is the error:

psql: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "punta" Press any key to continue . .

is it possible that postgres is listening on ipv4(127.0.0.1) only and you trying connect to ipv6(::1)?
try connect to 127.0.0.1 as "server" instead of "localhost".

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/25/23 07:31, postgresql439848@heinz-it.de wrote:
> Am 25.04.23 um 01:16 schrieb Arquimedes Aguirre:
>
>> No, it has not changed the error that I have been experiencing since the beginning. This is the error:
>>
>> psql: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for
user"punta" Press any key to continue . .

> is it possible that postgres is listening on ipv4(127.0.0.1) only and you trying connect to ipv6(::1)?
>
> try connect to 127.0.0.1 as "server" instead of "localhost".

Then you would get this error:

psql: error: connection to server at "::1", port 5432 failed: Connection
refused
Is the server running on that host and accepting TCP/IP connections?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: FW: Error!

От
postgresql439848@heinz-it.de
Дата:
Am 25.04.23 um 17:02 schrieb Adrian Klaver:
On 4/25/23 07:31, postgresql439848@heinz-it.de wrote:
Am 25.04.23 um 01:16 schrieb Arquimedes Aguirre:

No, it has not changed the error that I have been experiencing since the beginning. This is the error:

psql: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "punta" Press any key to continue . .

is it possible that postgres is listening on ipv4(127.0.0.1) only and you trying connect to ipv6(::1)?

try connect to 127.0.0.1 as "server" instead of "localhost".

Then you would get this error:

psql: error: connection to server at "::1", port 5432 failed: Connection refused
Is the server running on that host and accepting TCP/IP connections?

OK, my mistake.
but is there a possibility to put in the same (may be copy/paste) credentials with different clients and cause this error?

spoiler: there are many and the password 123456 was invented for this case.
conclusion: after a few tests i would bet on a password which causes an ugly hiccup and this could be not users fail.

testing:
- windows installer with default settings, password is quite simple 123456.
- in pgadmin create a new role with "special" password(i take the german specialties üöä or even some symbols). no errors.
- in pgadmin add new server with credentials of new role ... automatic try to connect. connected!
looks like there is nothing wrong at all.

BUT
- start the "SQL Shell" or try psql directly.
- default settings(localhost:5432:postgres:postgres) and the simple password 123456
- connected. may be a warning about encoding/codepage, but connected.

try credentials for new role. result: see TO first/last message.
try change codepage (the docs says 1252 is appropriate for german). same result.
password file in ANSI, same result.

conclusion: see above

the hardest fail:
i tried first of all something like "special" password for superuser during installation and get lost without any idea why.

error: "failed to load SQL modules into the database cluster."
next one follows, warning: "Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
Error reading file C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/15/data/postgresql.conf"
result: initialization failed, data directory doesn't exist.
the final shot is the installation-summary log, no errors, no comments about that even something could be not as expected.

how someone would see this and get to understanding that his/her keyboard has wrong keys to type right passwords?

PS to whom it may concern:
it's not my problem and i don't use it this way.
but other people have no choice.
safe the lost souls, do it better, please!

A.H.

RE: FW: Error!

От
Arquimedes Aguirre

Hi, please could update the information about my error with the initialization of psql shell. I am trying to get a connection to develop a web project.

[...]

Дата:
On 5/29/23 09:45, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> Hi, please could update the information about my error with the
> initialization of psql shell. I am trying to get a connection to develop
> a web project.
>
> Thanks for your attention and collaboration.
>
> Best regards!
>

> testing:
> - windows installer with default settings, password is quite simple 123456.
> - in pgadmin create a new role with "special" password(i take the german
> specialties üöä or even some symbols). no errors.
> - in pgadmin add new server with credentials of new role ... automatic
> try to connect. connected!
> looks like there is nothing wrong at all.
>
> BUT
> - start the "SQL Shell" or try psql directly.
> - default settings(localhost:5432:postgres:postgres) and the simple
> password 123456
> - connected. may be a warning about encoding/codepage, but connected.
>
> try credentials for new role. result: see TO first/last message.
> try change codepage (the docs says 1252 is appropriate for german). same
> result.
> password file in ANSI, same result.

What is the encoding/locale for the database?

To find out, in psql do

\l <database_name>

and post the result here.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

RE: FW: Error!

От
Arquimedes Aguirre

I don’t understand, please could to be more specific in the step that I must to do for to solve this inconvenience.

Thanks for advance!

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: FW: Error!

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 5/29/23 10:30, Arquimedes Aguirre wrote:
> I don’t understand, please could to be more specific in the step that I
> must to do for to solve this inconvenience.

1) Do not top post use inline or bottom posting per:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

2) I don't how much more specific:

"