Обсуждение: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
21 patches remain in Needs Review state, in the July commitfest. Some of
them have a reviewer signed up. I have highlighted some of them below
that worry me the most. What are we going to do about these? For each of
them, I'd like the authors to have some idea on what they need to do to
get the patch into committable state (or if the whole approach is going
to be rejected), but I don't know what that advise should be.

> pgbench - allow backslash-continuations in custom scripts

Everyone wants the feature, using multi-line SELECTs in pgbench scripts,
but we don't seem to be reaching a consensus on how it should work. I
think we'll need to integrate the lexer, but it would be nice to still
support multi-statements as well, with some syntax.

> multivariate statistics

This has been a long discussion. Are we getting close to a committable
state?

> COPY RAW

No consensus on whether to add this to the server's COPY command, or as
a new psql backslash option.

> Unique Joins

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI commented on this back in March, but no-one's reviewed
the latest version. It's a fairly big patch. I guess I'll review it if
no-one else does, but it's going to take me some time to really dig into
it...

> checkpoint continuous flushing

This does a big memory allocation at checkpoint, which Tom vehemently
objects to. I don't much like it either, although I would be OK with a
more moderately-sized allocation. It's not clear on what criteria this
should be accepted or rejected. What workloads need to be tested?

> plpgsql raise statement with context

Impasse. Everyone wants this feature in some form, but no consensus on
whether to do this client-side or server-side.

> Configurable location for extension .control files

Do we want this? In its current form? I feel that this isn't ready as it
is, but I'm not sure what to suggest instead.

> dblink: add polymorphic result functions

Seems pretty ugly to me to add a dummy argument to functions, just so
that you can specify the result type. The problem it's trying to solve
is real, though. Should we take it as it is, or wait for some cleaner
approach?

> Improving test coverage of extensions with pg_dump

Do we want to have this in src/test/modules or src/bin/pg_dump/t?

> Asynchronous execution on postgres-fdw

If we're going to have some sort of general-purpose Parallel node
support soon, should we just forget about this? Or is it still useful?
This adds a fair amount of new infrastructure, for a fairly niche feature..

- Heikki

--

- Heikki

Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Everyone wants the feature, using multi-line SELECTs in pgbench scripts,
> but we don't seem to be reaching a consensus on how it should work. I
> think we'll need to integrate the lexer, but it would be nice to still
> support multi-statements as well, with some syntax.

Seems like a perfect candidate for "returned with feedback".  We'll
straighten it out by the next commitfest.

Also note that this has actually spiralled out into 2 or 3 separate
features.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2015-07-28 22:51:55 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >checkpoint continuous flushing
>
> This does a big memory allocation at checkpoint, which Tom vehemently
> objects to.

Uh. Didn't he just object to failing in that case? IIRC he even
indicated tentative assent, a year or so back, with my idea of just
pre-allocating all the required memory in shared memory, so that we
don't need to allocate anything at some point.

I've not read the last version of the patch, but in my old version the
allocation wasn't actually that large in comparison to the size of
shared buffers itself.

> I don't much like it either, although I would be OK with a more
> moderately-sized allocation.

That'll disallow some mighty fine optimizations like e.g. being able to
do the fsyncs of files early, directly after we wrote out all their
buffer, thereby reducing how much dirty data (written out by backend)
that needs to be flushed to disk.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> 21 patches remain in Needs Review state, in the July commitfest. Some of
> them have a reviewer signed up. I have highlighted some of them below that
> worry me the most. What are we going to do about these? For each of them,
> I'd like the authors to have some idea on what they need to do to get the
> patch into committable state (or if the whole approach is going to be
> rejected), but I don't know what that advise should be.
>
> >pgbench - allow backslash-continuations in custom scripts
>
> Everyone wants the feature, using multi-line SELECTs in pgbench scripts, but
> we don't seem to be reaching a consensus on how it should work. I think
> we'll need to integrate the lexer, but it would be nice to still support
> multi-statements as well, with some syntax.

Excuse me -- what's a multi-statement?  I thought this effort was all
about multi-line single statements only.  I think the proposed patch to
integrate psql's lexer in pgbench is a reasonable step forward, but we
need it to use our standard technique of symlinking the .l file in place
via some additional lines in pgbench's Makefile rather than copying it.

> >dblink: add polymorphic result functions
>
> Seems pretty ugly to me to add a dummy argument to functions, just so that
> you can specify the result type. The problem it's trying to solve is real,
> though. Should we take it as it is, or wait for some cleaner approach?

Put like that, it does sound quite ugly.  I take it we have no better
alternative proposed?

> >Improving test coverage of extensions with pg_dump
>
> Do we want to have this in src/test/modules or src/bin/pg_dump/t?

Are we testing pg_dump here, or are we testing extensions?  If the
former, src/bin/pg_dump/t seems best.

> >Asynchronous execution on postgres-fdw
>
> If we're going to have some sort of general-purpose Parallel node support
> soon, should we just forget about this? Or is it still useful? This adds a
> fair amount of new infrastructure, for a fairly niche feature..

-0.1 on this one.

Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 07/28/2015 11:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> pgbench - allow backslash-continuations in custom scripts
>>
>> Everyone wants the feature, using multi-line SELECTs in pgbench scripts, but
>> we don't seem to be reaching a consensus on how it should work. I think
>> we'll need to integrate the lexer, but it would be nice to still support
>> multi-statements as well, with some syntax.
>
> Excuse me -- what's a multi-statement?

Sending "SELECT 1; SELECT 2;" to the server in one Query message. I.e.
PQexec(conn, "SELECT 1; SELECT 2;").

If you put that on a single line in pgbench today, it will send it as
one message to the server. If we start using a lexer, and split that
into two, that's a change in behaviour. Not the end of the world, but it
would still be nice to be able to use multi-statements in pgbench, too.

>>> dblink: add polymorphic result functions
>>
>> Seems pretty ugly to me to add a dummy argument to functions, just so that
>> you can specify the result type. The problem it's trying to solve is real,
>> though. Should we take it as it is, or wait for some cleaner approach?
>
> Put like that, it does sound quite ugly.  I take it we have no better
> alternative proposed?

Joe Conway suggested a more generic approach here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/559A9643.9070409@joeconway.com. I'm
not sure why that was not pursued. It certainly seems better to me.

>>> Improving test coverage of extensions with pg_dump
>>
>> Do we want to have this in src/test/modules or src/bin/pg_dump/t?
>
> Are we testing pg_dump here, or are we testing extensions?  If the
> former, src/bin/pg_dump/t seems best.

I think that's the crux of the disagreement :-).

- Heikki

Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
This has been a long discussion. Are we getting close to a committable state?

This is important, but big.

COPY RAW

No consensus on whether to add this to the server's COPY command, or as a new psql backslash option.

I think there is something salvageable there.

I've added my name as committer to a few things, but won't be able to work on them until at least next week when I've finished 9.5 stuff. Happy to step back if anyone else wants to claim those.

Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 07/28/2015 11:30 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I've added my name as committer to a few things, but won't be able to work
> on them until at least next week when I've finished 9.5 stuff. Happy to
> step back if anyone else wants to claim those.

Thanks, every little helps!

- Heikki

Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

Дата:
> On 2015-07-28 22:51:55 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> checkpoint continuous flushing

>> This does a big memory allocation at checkpoint, which Tom vehemently
>> objects to.

> Uh. Didn't he just object to failing in that case?

Right.  If it can fall back to "stupid" mode when there's not spare
memory, I'd be ok with that.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

От
Joe Conway