Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Remaining 'needs review' patchs in July commitfest
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>>> plpgsql raise statement with context
>> Impasse. Everyone wants this feature in some form, but no consensus on
>> whether to do this client-side or server-side.

> +1 for server-side.  Does anyone other than you even think that the
> client side is a reasonable way to go?

Yes.  This is presupposing on the server side what the client will want
to display.

>>> dblink: add polymorphic result functions
>> Seems pretty ugly to me to add a dummy argument to functions, just so that
>> you can specify the result type. The problem it's trying to solve is real,
>> though. Should we take it as it is, or wait for some cleaner approach?

> +1 for take it.  If we wait for something better, we may be waiting a long time.

-1.  We have a clear design spec for a solution that fixes this for much
more than just dblink.  I don't feel a need to paste on an ugly, single-use
band-aid in such a hurry.  If we get close to 9.6 and there is no better
fix, we could reconsider; but now is not the time to give up on pursuing
the better solution.

>>> Asynchronous execution on postgres-fdw
>> If we're going to have some sort of general-purpose Parallel node support
>> soon, should we just forget about this? Or is it still useful? This adds a
>> fair amount of new infrastructure, for a fairly niche feature..

> IMHO, that's an extremely important feature.  I believe that it will
> not be obsoleted by other parallelism work.

Again, this seems like rushing through a single-use band-aid while work
is still active on more general solutions.  I think we should put this
off and see whether it makes sense *after* the general parallel query
stuff is (more nearly) functional.  Even if it still makes sense then,
it may well need a rewrite.

> Actually, I think that
> some of the infrastructure that it introduces may be quite helpful for
> parallelism as well, but I haven't looked at in detail yet.

Then steal that stuff as and when you need it.